Windows 10: OpenWith crashes File Explorer, Apps & Features blank

Discus and support OpenWith crashes File Explorer, Apps & Features blank in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Like many Win10 users, I'm getting used to having to reset my file associations occasionally, for example, getting PDF files to open with Acrobat... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mitch111, Dec 22, 2017.

1. mitch111 Win User

OpenWith crashes File Explorer, Apps & Features blank

Like many Win10 users, I'm getting used to having to reset my file associations occasionally, for example, getting PDF files to open with Acrobat instead of Edge.

Recently I'm seeing some related problems. Sometimes when I right-click a file and select Open with, Windows Explorer crashes. And when I open Apps & Features, it comes up blank.

After running NOD32 and Antimalware, I ran sfc /scannow and DISM, but they didn't find any problems.

To solve these problems, I opened the registry to

COMPUTER\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts. Then I found the troublesome extension and looked at its OpenWithList entries. I found

(1) some entries with exe files that were not on my PC
    (2) some entries that made no sense
    (3) some entries like abcd

After backing up that section of the registry, I deleted some of the first two types of entries. In most cases, that solved the OpenWith crash. In other cases, I was able to open "Choose default apps by file type" and set the association there.

Sometimes the Registry edits fail to solve the problem, and Apps & Features and Choose default apps... both come up blank.

This has happened on both of my systems, which are very similar but used with different software and devices.

Any idea how this happened or how I can deal with it?

:)

mitch111, Dec 22, 2017

2. Disassociate file .cfg

WinKey+R -> Regedit

Locate & delete (if they exist) the following two keys:

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.cfg\UserChoice

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Roaming\OpenWith\FileExts\.cfg\UserChoice

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Dec 22, 2017
  3. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Dec 22, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Not everyone is having that issue. Roll it back to before the problem started.

bro67, Dec 22, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    This is a commonly reported problem and not specific to Win 10.
    You most probably need to find the shell extension added by something you've installed that's causing it and disable it.
    Try (free) programs
    shellmenuview
    shellexview
    by Nirsofer. Don't disable MS items (the programs have options to hide these).

If you still can't resolve it, Autoruns by MS lists more, but be careful with it.

That is a problem some Adobe users struggle with- there are several threads on that you can research. It's an Acrobat/Adobe problem, and varies depending on the particular product.

Resetting associations is not something everyone has problems with in general, although the behaviour here can sometimes be annoying. A long while back some found associations were reset on reboot because of old versions of a couple of programs like winzip being installed.

dalchina, Dec 22, 2017
  6. mitch111 Win User
    I think I've found a solution.

I downloaded Nir Sofer's OpenWithView and disabled a few items that I didn't think I'd need. Now I can use OpenWith without any problem.

mitch111, Feb 9, 2018
  7. dalchina New Member
    Great - sounds appropriate.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. OpenWith crashes File Explorer, Apps & Features blank - Similar Threads - OpenWith crashes File

2. Suggestion for File Explorer feature

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Suggestion for File Explorer feature: I am a heavy user of shortcuts to manage my files. I'd like a feature in Explorer where I can right click on a file or shortcut name and get a drop down menu-item called, say, "Links" to open a new Explorer window showing all the links shortcuts/original file along with the...
  3. File explorer is completely blank

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer is completely blank: Every section of my file explorer is now completely blank. I can still access all my files but I can't see any of them. I haven't downloaded anything recently. My windows version number is build 19041.1052. Thanks 182496
  4. file explorer got blank

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    file explorer got blank: I just installed the sound changer for windows and then this happened I don't know why please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/file-explorer-got-blank/a4da69d8-b572-414f-b391-1ff666c8b5c6
  5. File Explorer is Blank????

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer is Blank????: The problem is that everything is blank. When I try to open it to upload a picture in places like discord or here, it works fine, but when I open File Explorer on its own it has this issue. I've tried to go to the "view" menu and reset defaults, I've tried a command prompt...
  6. "Files" app made my Windows File explorer blank

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Files" app made my Windows File explorer blank: When I installed Files from Microsoft Store, the default file explorer is empty, i need a way to fix this submitted by /u/Izanaski [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lfkvgt/files_app_made_my_windows_file_explorer_blank/
  7. Files won't show. File explorer blank

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files won't show. File explorer blank: I've been working on my computer all day. Just an hour or two ago it started slowing down. I made sure every thing was okay in my task manager and then I scanned for viruses, but nothing turned up. I've repeated those things several times, and i still lag/won't see any files...
  8. File explorer search feature

File explorer search feature: Hello, It has been 2 updates or so since it doesn't work how it used to. Before, when I went into my file explorer and type something on the search bar on the top right corner, it would search on all my hard drives I have 7 of them. Now I have to manually enter in each...
  9. File Explorer ribbon is blank

File Explorer ribbon is blank: [ATTACH]A couple days ago after Windows did an update, suddenly the Ribbon in File Explorer is always blank. Have done few more updates, hoping it would sort itself out, but it hasn't. Also started in Safe Mode, and it the issue is still there....
  10. File Explorer Icons blank

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Icons blank: After reinstalling Windows 10 my Word and data file icons were blank. I found in C:\windows\SHELLNEWthat the WINWORD8.DOC icon was blank so I changed it to the correct icon and itfixed my problems! See image: 90226