Windows 10: "Operating System not found, etc." when booting up but My OS is already installed in one of...

Discus and support "Operating System not found, etc." when booting up but My OS is already installed in one of... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This problem started to occur today for some reason. My OS is installed in my SSD and I have another drive for games, programs and etc. but when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Harish_Sridharan, Jan 5, 2019.

1. "Operating System not found, etc." when booting up but My OS is already installed in one of...

This problem started to occur today for some reason. My OS is installed in my SSD and I have another drive for games, programs and etc. but when I restarted my computer today, it said that there was no "operating system not found" and it said to click any button to restart when I did that it worked perfectly fine. it booted up in windows quickly and everything seemed to be working fine. I built this PC 3 weeks ago and never had this problem. I don't know why this is a problem but can someone help me. I'm not sure if this problem will get worse or not. If you know why is this happening, please help me if not but you know some knowledge on this problem, that will help too.

Thank You

:)

Harish_Sridharan, Jan 5, 2019

2. Do all graphics cards work with all operating systems?

Yes you will need to install the OS first. It is from the OS that you get all the basic drivers that allow you to get the basic function from your hardware the moment you plug them in or install them.

Quick Three Step guide. Kind of vague. I assume you have some knowledge of this stuff... If you don't then you will want to research each step one by one till you understand it all.

Step 1: Build PC.
    Put everything together and make sure every wire is where it should be.

Step 2: Install the Operating System of your choice.
    This is usually done by putting the DVD/CD of the OS in a DVD/CD Rom Drive and then make sure (if not by default) that you set boot priority to said DVD/CD Rom Drive (Done via BIOS) which then has you press any key to begin boot from the CD in that Drive. After that follow the steps as instructed by the OS Installation screen.

Step 3: Start installing the drivers for each specific peace of hardware that requires it.
    Stuff like the CPU and monitor don't require a driver for you to install and work right away. However, stuff like your Ethernet card or integrated Ethernet might require you install the driver from the CD first then once that works you will be able to connect to the internet (Assuming you have an ISP) and download the rest of the latest drivers for your hardware.

After step 3 Enjoy your PC *Smile "Operating System not found, etc." when booting up but My OS is already installed in one of... :) Get some games on there or start doing whatever it is you built your PC for.

AphexDreamer, Jan 5, 2019
  3. How to make make a particular OS as default boot.

Hi Mohammad,

As per the description, I understand that you had installed two Windows 10 Operating systems on a particular hard drive, where one is genuine.

If you would like to make the genuine Operating system as the default boot, please follow the below steps.

• Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type
      msconfig, and press Enter.

• Click/tap on the Boot tab.
      Select the operating system you want to delete that is not set as the
      Default OS, and click/tap on Delete.

NOTE:
      If the OS you want to delete from the list is the
      Default OS, then you will need to change the
      default operating system
      to another listed OS first.

• Check the Make all boot settings permanent box, and click on
      OK.

• Click/tap on Yes to confirm.

• Click/tap on the Restart button.
    Hope the steps provided helps you to select the default Operating system on boot. Please do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jan 5, 2019
  4. "Operating System not found, etc." when booting up but My OS is already installed in one of...

Error: "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system"

Hi Stephen,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the operating system. Now that you have me with you let me take care of this.

Do let us know if you are able to see Windows 7/ Windows 10 operating system while rebooting the device?

As you are unable to boot the operating system, this issue might have occurred when the boot files are missing or corrupted.

I suggest you re-built the boot rec by following the below commands and check if it helps.
    You will have to use Windows 10/7 installation media to follow the steps to boot into Recovery Environment and try to rebuild BCD.

Step 1: I suggest you to create an installation media for
    operating system using the media creation tool

If system boots to Windows 10:
    Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

If system boots to Windows 7: Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files)

Step 2: After preparing the installation media, insert it hard reboot the device and follow the below:

• Boot into Windows Recovery Environment using the Windows 10/7 installation media.
    • Click on Repair your computer.
    • Click on Troubleshoot and in the Advanced options.
    • Select Command Prompt. Type the following commands into the prompt and press Enter key after each command.
    • bootrec /fixmbr

• bootrec /fixboot

• bootrec /scanos

• bootrec /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the computer.

NOTE: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting
    from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of booting the operating system for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 5, 2019
Thema:

"Operating System not found, etc." when booting up but My OS is already installed in one of...

1. "Operating System not found, etc." when booting up but My OS is already installed in one of... - Similar Threads - Operating System found

2. An operating system was not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An operating system was not found: Hello Yesterday I turned on my computer , turned it off , tried to boot from an external hard drive with windows 7 installed I was gonna check if it works and turned out it was crashingI was gonna format it using diskpart ,when again turned on my computer with the external...
  3. Installed a cloned drive but when booting up I get "Operating system not found."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installed a cloned drive but when booting up I get "Operating system not found.": Having recently returned a laptop running Linux to Windows I decided to upgrade the machine by installing additional RAM and by installing a new SSD to replace the old HDD. I downloaded and ran AOMEI Backupper Standard to clone the old drive onto the new one. After installing...
  4. Installed a cloned drive but when booting up I get "Operating system not found."

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installed a cloned drive but when booting up I get "Operating system not found.": Having recently returned a laptop running Linux to Windows I decided to upgrade the machine by installing additional RAM and by installing a new SSD to replace the old HDD. I downloaded and ran AOMEI Backupper Standard to clone the old drive onto the new one. After installing...
  5. Installed a cloned drive but when booting up I get "Operating system not found."

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. No operating system found

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No operating system found: I installed Ubuntu on a USB SSD some time ago, and then to make use of the SSD I later on formatted it, and put it directly in my system. At the time I didn't know that it wasn't the right way of doing it, and so my PC entered grub rescue mode every time the SSD was detected....
  7. OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND: I purchased a new Acer laptop from the microsoft store a couple years ago. a virus got into my system and totally decimated my system. Now when i try to use my unit,i get a "operating system not found" message. What steps do i need to take to get this thing working again?...
  8. Boot device not found operating system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot device not found operating system: Tried everything HP told me...nothing works..Boot Device Not Found Please install an operating system on your hard disk Hard Disk- 3FO F2- System Diagnostics For more information, please visit http://www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup...
  9. Boot Device Not Found Please install operating system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot Device Not Found Please install operating system: This has been a constant issue for the last several weeks. Resetting the BIOs to factory settings is only a temporary fix. How can this problem be resolved?...
  10. Operating system not found

in Windows 10 Support
    Operating system not found: I have Sony Vaio I7, 8Gb memory. I do not have OS backup disk. I upgraded from 8 to 8.1 and then to 10. It has been running great. No problems. Use Kaspersky Internet Security. I shut down computer normally this morning. I powered back on this evening and there was a frown...