Windows 10: Operations on network share hang for several minutes

Discus and support Operations on network share hang for several minutes in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have been having various network sharing problems lately. The most recent version of them is that sometimes when I try to access a share on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ricecrispies, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Operations on network share hang for several minutes

I have been having various network sharing problems lately. The most recent version of them is that sometimes when I try to access a share on my desktop computer from my laptop, it hangs for ages. For instance if I try to open a folder on the share, I have to wait several minutes while I watch the green bar progressing before I actually get into the folder. And then once I am in the folder, when I try to paste a file into it, nothing happens. Perhaps if I wait several minutes now it may do something. Or maybe not. This happened to me a couple of days ago and rebooting seemed to fix it, but now it is happening again. I don't want to reboot every time I want to move a file between one machine and the other. How can I get this working properly?

:)

ricecrispies, Nov 9, 2017
  2. HS Gurvey Win User

Storage Spaces in Windows 10 EXTREMELY SLOW

I have observed the same problem when referencing shares on my server 2016 from a Window 10 client. It can hang for several minutes.

HS Gurvey, Nov 9, 2017
  3. OfirBloch Win User
    Explorer hangs after creating a new folder on a network computer [WIN 10]

Hi,

We're using windows 10 at work and up until now we did not have any trouble creating or renaming shared folders on our network.

Lately, any attempt to create a new folder on a shared computer causes explorer to hang for 2-3 minutes before it's possible to continue.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

OfirBloch, Nov 9, 2017
  4. Operations on network share hang for several minutes

On both machines in network adapter properties, try to disable all optimizations:
    ipv4 & tcp & udp checksum offloads, large send offloads, jumbo packets etc.

Operations on network share hang for several minutes [​IMG]

muchomurka, Nov 9, 2017
  5. Thanks for replying.

When you say "etc.", how far should I go with this? I don't want to accidentally disable something that I actually need. In any case, there are only four configuration options on the wireless card on my laptop. There are a lot more on my USB ethernet, but they are all in German, which increases the risk of making a mistake due to mistranslation if I disable a lot of them.

I've also discovered that going the other way—trying to access a share on my laptop from my desktop—I get a message telling me that Windows "cannot access" the share, even though I can access the same share on my laptop from the laptop itself. Would this also be due to network interface settings? Or is this a separate problem?

ricecrispies, Nov 9, 2017
  6. I think disabling all Offload settings is essential. I do not know the name in German, but it means "make checksum computations at NIC controller, not usimg CPU".

Your second question - it may be related but I am not sure.

Try to connect devices directly by Ethernet crosscable. *) If it works, connect them using Ethernet switch (unplug it from power from 10s before) and normal cables. Test different Ethernet ports on switch. Then try wifi if you use it (reset access point too).

*) crosscable is not necessary if systems support Autosense

muchomurka, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Operations on network share hang for several minutes

1. Operations on network share hang for several minutes - Similar Threads - Operations network share

2. Mobile Hotspot Always Stops Sharing Internet to Devices in Several Minutes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mobile Hotspot Always Stops Sharing Internet to Devices in Several Minutes: Hello,My laptop is ThinkPad P17 Gen 1 and has a strange issue with the hotspot recently. When I turn on the Windows 10 hotspot and connect devices with it, everything goes well. But if the device doesn't send any data in several minutes, the hotspot will not share any...
  3. Mobile Hotspot Always Stops Sharing Internet to Devices in Several Minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mobile Hotspot Always Stops Sharing Internet to Devices in Several Minutes: Hello,My laptop is ThinkPad P17 Gen 1 and has a strange issue with the hotspot recently. When I turn on the Windows 10 hotspot and connect devices with it, everything goes well. But if the device doesn't send any data in several minutes, the hotspot will not share any...
  4. Mobile Hotspot Always Stops Sharing Internet to Devices in Several Minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Completing updates - screen hang for several minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Completing updates - screen hang for several minutes: We could not complete the updates. Undoing changes. Dont turn off your PC.I get this memo on a daily basis each time I switch on my PC. How to stop it appearing again and again....
  6. Completing updates - screen hang for several minutes

Completing updates - screen hang for several minutes: We could not complete the updates. Undoing changes. Dont turn off your PC.I get this memo on a daily basis each time I switch on my PC. How to stop it appearing again and again....
  7. network of several windows home computers to share files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    network of several windows home computers to share files: After upgrading one of my computers to windows 10 from 8.1 it no longer shows up in home network making it unable to share files with my laptops, It could before the installation upgrade....
  8. network of several windows home computers to share files

network of several windows home computers to share files: After upgrading one of my computers to windows 10 from 8.1 it no longer shows up in home network making it unable to share files with my laptops, It could before the installation upgrade....
  9. network of several windows home computers to share files

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. This might take several minutes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    This might take several minutes: I booted my hp laptop and it came up with a blank screen. Thought maybe there was an issue with my machine because I use an external docking station/monitor. It rebooted I got login screen. After login in, I am getting “hi” followed by “we’ve got some updates for your...