Windows 10: Opinion needed - Windows Sandbox or VMware Workstation?

Discus and support Opinion needed - Windows Sandbox or VMware Workstation? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi all - Been doing some software testing with nasty malware. Which would be best? I want the TPM chip to be in play here. Sandbox seems sluggish.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Compumind, May 28, 2020.

1. Compumind Win User

Opinion needed - Windows Sandbox or VMware Workstation?

Hi all -

Been doing some software testing with nasty malware.
    Which would be best? I want the TPM chip to be in play here.

Sandbox seems sluggish.

Thanks!

*Smile

:)

Compumind, May 28, 2020
  2. S_Shah165 Win User

SandBox and VMware issue

Hi,

I like the new Sandbox feature of Windows 10 1903 build and it is awesome by trying the new files without infecting the whole system. But I have the
    problem of connecting it to the internet and always disconnected. I changed the adapter settings so many times but with no success.

The Other problem I am facing is that I am using VMware software. But when I run the windows inside the VMware it gives me error
    "VMware Workstation and Device/Credential Guard are not compatible. VMware Workstation can be run after disabling Device/Credential Guard. Please visit http://www.vmware.com/go/turnoff_CG_DG for more details."

So what I do is to turn off the Hyper-v by using CMD and run this command "bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off" and I have to restart my pc to take the effect. After restart, VMware works fine and run the Windows smoothly but then the
    problem arises with the Sandbox and when I click on the Sandbox, it just shows the splash screen and not starting on. So for the SandBox to run properly, I have to turn on the hyper-v again by using CMD command "
    bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto" and have to restart the system again. Sometimes the Sandbox crashes and showing the blue screen pc ran a problem. I don't know how to solve these problems so I can run both sandbox and VMware windows
    at the same time and I don't have to run the CMD command again and again and have to restart the pc multiple times. I hope Windows Software Engineer will look at this problem and solve these issues. Everyone is welcome to comment and suggest. Thanks

S_Shah165, May 28, 2020
  3. PaulBosio Win User
    PaulBosio, May 28, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    problem nr 1 for Windows Sandbox --- if you need to test software that needs a re-boot after install e,g configuration changes etc then Windows Sandbox isn't really much use.The Sandbox isn't persistent over re-boots. I don't think you can re-boot the sandbox itself (not the main Windows machine) without also losing persistence.

Problem nr 2 - can't move Windows sandbox data to your own choice of drives /directories.

problem nr 3 (possibly) I think you need Windows Pro as you will need to enable part of Windows HYPER-V -- might not be possible on HOME editions -- I don't know for sure but I think this is also a restriction.

Sandboxing is fine if you can test things properly and they are persistent until you want to get rid of them -- currently Windows Sandbox is not much use. (at least IMHO)

VM's take a lot more setting up but these days very efficient and are perfectly good for testing pretty well everything (unless you require real access to the underlying hardware --e.g writing fast video game drivers for specific graphic cards / GPU's etc).

Even then some of the latest hypervisors -- HYPER-V / QEMU/KVM etc allow hardware passthru so you can use the real OS drivers rather than the paravirtualised ones which make VM's have the possibility of running at near native speed and performance -- OK VMWare isn't in that league but all I'm saying here is that using a VM for all sorts of things today is absolutely OK -- even a few years ago running a video player like VLC on a VM was sluggish etc.

Another possibility is to use a cheap cloud server -- so many options today that never existed (certainly at affordable consumer prices) even 3 years ago.

I'd tend to forget using Sandbox -- even if you don't want to use a VM - HDD's are mega cheap these days --just fire up another Windows install for your test -- on the same hardware - activation won't be necessary.

Some sandboxing IMO is like a lot of these 3rd party Anti Virus solutions -- a C20 solution (e.g time of Win 7 etc) when we've got far better C21 systems available.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Opinion needed - Windows Sandbox or VMware Workstation? - Similar Threads - Opinion needed Sandbox

2. Vmware Workstation and W10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Vmware Workstation and W10: I am running W10.Can anyone suggest why I am having trouble using VMware on my class 3 Dell 5430 laptop running W10? I was able to install Vmware but when I tried to open it the next day it would not open. I was also unable to connect a USB 3.0 Flash Drive but I could connect...
  3. Vmware Workstation and W10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Vmware Workstation and W10: I am running W10.Can anyone suggest why I am having trouble using VMware on my class 3 Dell 5430 laptop running W10? I was able to install Vmware but when I tried to open it the next day it would not open. I was also unable to connect a USB 3.0 Flash Drive but I could connect...
  4. VMware Workstation and Memory integrity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VMware Workstation and Memory integrity: Since I discovered Memory integrity feature in Windows Security I have left it always enabled. But sometimes I should turn it off by rebooting my PC in order to work with virtual machines. I tried to enable hypervisor and VM-related components in Control Panel as it described...
  5. SandBox and VMware issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SandBox and VMware issue: Hi, I like the new Sandbox feature of Windows 10 1903 build and it is awesome by trying the new files without infecting the whole system. But I have the problem of connecting it to the internet and always disconnected. I changed the adapter settings so many times but with...
  6. How to enable Windows Sandbox in VMware Workstation

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable Windows Sandbox in VMware Workstation: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]You can enable and use Windows Sandbox in VMware guest operating system running Windows 10. However, you cannot use a nested virtual machine on Windows unless you have and enable certain functionality related to your processor. That is the reason, [...] This...
  7. Configure VMware Workstation

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Configure VMware Workstation: Hi, Based on a scenario, I have queries as following. VMware Workstation 12 Pro is installed in a Windows 10 Desktop. As guest OS, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and Windows Server 2012 R2 are installed in VMware Workstation. I have to do a setup for networking...
  8. VMWare Workstation 10.4

VMWare Workstation 10.4: VMWare Workstation 10.4 is on the street. Up and running, and at the moment haven't had any problems running any OS. 2753
  9. vmware workstation 12.5.2

vmware workstation 12.5.2: Hi folks If you are running Linux Hosts this version of VMWARE workstation (and similar release of vmplayer) seems to have fixed problems of "wobbly mouse" etc -- also when scrolling inside the GUEST in windowed mode --I.E Windowed mode WITHIN the guest the scroll is...
  10. VMWare workstation 11 no internet.

VMWare workstation 11 no internet.: Hi, I've done a clean install of windows 10 Pro but am now unable to get internet on a guest VM on Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 . I just get a yellow ? Ethernet controller in device manager. I tried my legal copies of Windows Me and Windows 3.11 and can get...