Windows 10: Optical Audio Issues

Discus and support Optical Audio Issues in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My desktop has a standard audio jack that I can plug headphones into and use. This has worked completely fine until recently, where now my computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Xanaquil, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Xanaquil Win User

Optical Audio Issues

My desktop has a standard audio jack that I can plug headphones into and use. This has worked completely fine until recently, where now my computer will detect that I have plugged them in swapping the active sound device from my monitor speakers or bluetooth headphones and into optical audio but will not play any sound. I first assumed this was a hardware issue, and that my port had become damaged and no longer worked.

However, while using the windows audio troubleshooter, a test sound is played. And I can hear this test sound loudly and clearly. It is the only sound I am able to hear from my device using plugged-in audio. I cannot get the test sound to play via the control panel or anywhere else, only by talking to the windows troubleshooting assistant, asking her to play the test sound, and it plays audibly every time.

Optical Audio Issues 0f4e3d94-8b8e-454b-8f3b-2617b41cf7d3?upload=true.png

I am absolutely and completely flabbergasted by what magics allow this specific sound to play through my headphones and no others, but it does at least seem to suggest that this isn't a hardware issue. I'm not aware what systems the playing of this sound goes through, but it evidently avoids or overrides whatever is causing the problem in the process, in a way that playing a test sound in the control panel or any other way does not.

It's not a massive deal as I do have wireless headphones that function perfectly fine, and I have tried reinstalling the associated drivers to no success. I'm stumped. Any thoughts?

:)

Xanaquil, Mar 27, 2020
  2. Jerry8A Win User

Optical Drive Issue

Hello Anak –

Appreciate your detailed return. Your added steps really helped.

Assuming I did the steps correctly, this is where I am now.

Screenshot 12 shows my CD Disc shortcut on my desktop.
    Screenshot 10 shows the CD Drive shortcut listed in the “Send to” listing.
    Screenshot 11 shows the “Send to” listing after the steps were taken, but the CD drive name is not listed.

So, it appears the steps did not work for me. And, I did try the steps, “If it still won’t do ……” and still no luck.

What do you think?

JerryA

Optical Audio Issues [​IMG]

Jerry8A, Mar 27, 2020
  3. Jerry8A Win User
    Optical Drive Issue

Hello Steve –
    Again, my thanks for supplying detailed pictures and steps. They really help.
    The following are screenshots of where I am.
    Screenshot 23 shows confirmation my Registry was changed.
    Screenshot 24 shows the list of “Send to” names including the CD shortcut.
    Screenshot 25 shows the “Send to” list, but the CD name is still not listed.

Jerry

Jerry8A, Mar 27, 2020
  4. Anak Win User

Optical Audio Issues

Optical Drive Issue

Hi Jerry, you're welcome.

Here's mine after I rt clk'd on my Documents Folder like you show in Scrsht 11:

I'd like to wait until you reply to my question in Scrsht 12, if it is a remnant of the process try deleting the one on the dsktp and see if the one in send to also disappears. If it stays in send to, test it, and if you're still having problems I'd suggest you could go back to: Option One: To Add or Remove Items in Send To context menu for Your Account (current user) and do Step 3 to remove it and start over using Step 4 but be very careful of your steps in creating the shortcut and be sure you d&d that shortcut to the send to part of the address.

I'm busy today and I probably won't be back until the evening.

Thema:

Optical Audio Issues

1. Optical Audio Issues - Similar Threads - Optical Audio Issues

2. Audio Crackling and Optical Drive Ticking? need help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio Crackling and Optical Drive Ticking? need help: Hey... I'm having some problems with my laptop, I had this problem before but that didn't work the last person that who helped, told me that it was my optical drive or something, but I was confused. but that's not related to what my problem is, what my problem is that my...
  3. Optical Digital Audio Disruption

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Optical Digital Audio Disruption: Relevant Info:Windows 10 64 bitMotherboard: MSI MPG Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi Z590Audio Driver: RealTek 0009-64bit_Win7_Win8_Win81_Win10_R282Optical Audio Device: Creative SoundBlaster X7Problem:The optical audio coming from my computer will cut to complete static at random...
  4. Windows 10 and audio over optical cable

Windows 10 and audio over optical cable: Hi, I recently purchased new speakers, Logitech Z906. I am trying to make the digital output of W10 work with my speakers over an optical audio cable. My specs: motherboard MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI speakers Logitech Z906 an optical cable Star II OPTO...
  5. Optical Drive Issue

Optical Drive Issue: Optical Drive Issue – When I go to my Documents folder and want to send a Word file to a DVD disc, I click on “Send to.” The pop-up menu does not include the option to send the file to the DVD disc. The wording is missing. The DVD disc does work on its own. I use Windows 10....
  6. A permanent "Fix" for Optical Drive issue?

A permanent "Fix" for Optical Drive issue?: Friends I have looked up various fixes for Windows 10's ill treatment of "obsolete" DVD/CD optical drives and not finding a permanent cure. Many have reported issues, and what seems to work some of the time is simply removing the device in Device Manager, and restarting,...
  7. Delayed optical audio output

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delayed optical audio output: The original thread was locked, but I'm having the same issue as here: https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/4ijiaf/slight_delay_before_audio_through_speakers_using/ Basically, if no sound has been output via the SPDIF of my Asus XONAR SE for 5-10 seconds, if I play...
  8. Persistent issues with reading optical media drive

Persistent issues with reading optical media drive: I've been having persistent issues with my optical media (bluray/cd/dvd) drive that I believe at present to be software/windows based. The drive used to work fine, until recently. On startup, the drive appears in "This PC" as normal. If there's no disk inserted, it appears...
  9. Optical Audio issues

Optical Audio issues: I have a 7.1 surround sound system for my computer. I used a optical S/PDIF cable to connect my computer to the receiver. when I go to the "Manage audio devices" in the control panel, and select S/PDIF, the "Configure" button is grayed out. I can select the configure button...
  10. HDMI Converter to HDMI, Audio + Optical Audio

HDMI Converter to HDMI, Audio + Optical Audio: Hi there Brilliant little device for passing HDMI (less HDCP !!) plus RCA L, R Audio and 5.1 Optical Audio (SPDIF). Switchable audio pass thru,, 2Ch, 5.1 ch. (Max HDMI input is 1080p so won't work for your 4K huge TV's though) - still an excellent little device for those...