Windows 10: Optical Drive does not recognize cd's to burn

Discus and support Optical Drive does not recognize cd's to burn in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a new USB Slim portable Optical Drive and it reads cd's just fine with my Windows 10 laptop, but it will not write to empty cd's. Does anyone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AngusMcDonald2, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Optical Drive does not recognize cd's to burn

I have a new USB Slim portable Optical Drive and it reads cd's just fine with my Windows 10 laptop, but it will not write to empty cd's. Does anyone have a solution?

:)

AngusMcDonald2, Feb 14, 2020
  2. Jerry8A Win User

Optical Drive Issue

Hello Anak –

Appreciate your detailed return. Your added steps really helped.

Assuming I did the steps correctly, this is where I am now.

Screenshot 12 shows my CD Disc shortcut on my desktop.
    Screenshot 10 shows the CD Drive shortcut listed in the “Send to” listing.
    Screenshot 11 shows the “Send to” listing after the steps were taken, but the CD drive name is not listed.

So, it appears the steps did not work for me. And, I did try the steps, “If it still won’t do ……” and still no luck.

What do you think?

JerryA

Optical Drive does not recognize cd's to burn [​IMG]

Jerry8A, Feb 14, 2020
  3. CD/DVD drive not recognized

First, try inserting a disc in the drive, does it spin up?
    Sometimes, it takes media in the device to be recognized, rare for an optical drive though.

A few other suggestions
    • Try uninstalling the device in Dev mgr, wait 2 or 3 minutes and if Windows doesn't cycle though hardware changes, right click any device and select Scan for Hardware changes.

• You might also want to check File and Folder options in File Explorer
      press the blue file menu,
      select Change folder and Serach options
      select the View tab
      is show empty drives selected?

• It would help members if you could post a screen shot of Dev mgr device properties (post the first 4 tabs)
      If it is an unknown device -post the General tab and the Details.
      On the Details tab, select Hardware IDs from the drop down box

I'm not sure if these suggestions will help. I had a similar issue with a CD drive on a Vista box, turned out to be a hardware issue on the Mobo. The optical drive is really controlled by a few settings (DVD, CD, Writer) and when it doesn't work, it is hard to diagnose.

If the device worked before (recently), it's a Win10 issue, and it might be version specific. There are known issues with AMD graphics drivers, this might extend to the chipset as well - those with Intel boards / CPUs can ignore this part. It's a guess anyway.

If you're comfortable with hardware, you might try removing the optical drive from the box, restarting without it attached, and then shut down, reinstall the optical drive and start up the machine.

Follow instructions in the service manual for your device or on the mfr website.

Slartybart, Feb 14, 2020
  4. Optical Drive does not recognize cd's to burn

CD drive opens when trying to burn a disk

Hi,

There are still other factors causing your DVD-RW drive to eject which we would need to check. These may include faulty hardware, CD/DVD burning software, operating system, driver, or even with the discs. To further identify the root cause of your concern,
    kindly provide us details to the following:

• What are the specific steps which you usually do to burn data to the discs?
    • Have you attempted use other CD/DVD burning software?
    • Screenshot of the error which you are getting.

This article may be for a different scenario where the CD/DVD drive itself is not detected but the steps listed here may also help with your concern:

Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs.

Don't hesitate to update us if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Roberto Ven, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

Optical Drive does not recognize cd's to burn

1. Optical Drive does not recognize cd's to burn - Similar Threads - Optical Drive does

2. Win 10 Home, version 21H2, does not recognize DVD/CD Optical Disc Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 Home, version 21H2, does not recognize DVD/CD Optical Disc Drive: Dan_de_Lion,1. DVD/CD Optical Disc Drive originally came configured with my Toshiba P750 laptop when purchased and always worked until a recent Win 10 Home Update.2. I followed resolution methods 2, 3, 4 & 5 in link Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other...
  3. Optical drive recognized, discs spins but does not play

Optical drive recognized, discs spins but does not play: A friend asked me to re-install Window 10 due to a failing Hard drive. After the install incl. all current (20H2) MS updates I encounter the following problem. The Optical drive displays in File Manager (and Device Manger) but does not auto play and discs. When manually...
  4. Drive recognizes after DVD burn only CD's?

Drive recognizes after DVD burn only CD's?: Hello I just wanted to burn something on a DVD but then there was an error and now my PC does not recognize if there is a DVD in it only CD's could be there something defect or do you know the solution? All drivers are up to date :) LG Laufwerk erkennt nach DVD brennen nur...
  5. BURNING A CD

BURNING A CD: I want to burn a CD but I don't know which option to choose been : As a USB or as a CD/DVD player. please assist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/burning-a-cd/28ca2ea9-e98e-4737-8f9d-12a4bcf71e6c
  6. computer does not recognize disk in the optical cd or dvd drives after windows 10 upgrade.

computer does not recognize disk in the optical cd or dvd drives after windows 10 upgrade.: computer shows drives are there and drives have latest drivers installed but will not recognize and cd or dvd disk in drives. Keeps asking for disk to be placed in drives even when they are already in drives. What can I do to make drives read and write disk again...
  7. burn a cd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    burn a cd: unable to burn a srored cd onto a blank cd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/burn-a-cd/1f9afeb1-d721-43c5-9347-2cf357f4b789"
  8. Burning CD's

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Burning CD's: Why can't I burn an album from my itunes library https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/burning-cds/c7def477-069d-4391-b59b-d19aa3c2d075
  9. Burning cd

Burning cd: Need help to burn cd from external cassette player https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/burning-cd/54c759fc-73ed-419e-a115-3612f4a29fc5
  10. Burning to cd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Burning to cd: When I open Media Player it asks me to connect an external burner. I thought you could burn to cds with Media Player, previous system Windows 7 Home. 15660