Windows 10: Optical Drive no longer shows up in Windows Explorer after WIN10 Upgrade

Discus and support Optical Drive no longer shows up in Windows Explorer after WIN10 Upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The Optical Drive in my Laptop no longer shows up in Windows Explorer after a WIN10 upgrade. It shows up and works after I insert a DVD into the drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TonyXYZ123, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Optical Drive no longer shows up in Windows Explorer after WIN10 Upgrade

The Optical Drive in my Laptop no longer shows up in Windows Explorer after a WIN10 upgrade. It shows up and works after I insert a DVD into the drive.

How can I get the Optical Drive to show up without a DVD inserted? It is very inconvenient to tip the Laptop up on its end to locate the Eject button.

I use to be able to open the tray with the EJECT button in Windows Explorer.

:)

TonyXYZ123, Dec 18, 2020
  2. Jerry8A Win User

Optical Drive Issue

Hello Anak –

Appreciate your detailed return. Your added steps really helped.

Assuming I did the steps correctly, this is where I am now.

Screenshot 12 shows my CD Disc shortcut on my desktop.
    Screenshot 10 shows the CD Drive shortcut listed in the “Send to” listing.
    Screenshot 11 shows the “Send to” listing after the steps were taken, but the CD drive name is not listed.

So, it appears the steps did not work for me. And, I did try the steps, “If it still won’t do ……” and still no luck.

What do you think?

JerryA

Optical Drive no longer shows up in Windows Explorer after WIN10 Upgrade [​IMG]

Jerry8A, Dec 18, 2020
  3. Anak Win User
    Optical Drive Issue

Hi Jerry, you're welcome.

Here's mine after I rt clk'd on my Documents Folder like you show in Scrsht 11:

I'd like to wait until you reply to my question in Scrsht 12, if it is a remnant of the process try deleting the one on the dsktp and see if the one in send to also disappears. If it stays in send to, test it, and if you're still having problems I'd suggest you could go back to: Option One: To Add or Remove Items in Send To context menu for Your Account (current user) and do Step 3 to remove it and start over using Step 4 but be very careful of your steps in creating the shortcut and be sure you d&d that shortcut to the send to part of the address.

I'm busy today and I probably won't be back until the evening.

4. Apodsim Win User

Optical Drive no longer shows up in Windows Explorer after WIN10 Upgrade

Optical Drive Disappears from File Explorer

After much procrastination on upgrading a perfectly good Windows 7 operating system, I took the leap and successfully upgrading to Windows 10 over Two months ago. After completing the upgrade, I though wow what a great product. All of the installed drives, devices etc. were listed and worked just as before. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that my Blu-ray drive was no longer listed in File Explorer. I checked Device Manager and it was listed and showed to be working properly. I found similar but not identical issues several forms related to a device disappearing so I tried some of the suggestions all of which did not cause the optical drive to appear as before. Since the drive is less than 3 months old, I contacted manufacturer support and was told that this is a know problem when upgrading to Windows 10 vs. a new install and was advised to contact Microsoft support. The manufacture technician provided some suggestions and was advised that I should not attempt on my own and let Microsoft Support make the suggested changes.

OK, time to weed through the Microsoft maze to find a method to report what I consider a bug, considering that I did not have any issue with Windows 7. First chat session, a Microsoft support person connected to my computer remotely and performed the same procedures that I had already done so I put up with 1-1/2 of them digging though my computer in the hopes that issue could be identified. The command reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0000001 was executed as recommended by drive manufacturer and rebooted. The drive showed up in File Explorer and assumed this was the fix. This lasted approximately one week and then the optical drive again disappeared from File Explorer but shows in Device Manager and working properly.

Contacted Microsoft support chat again, when though the complete story and after 2 hours of remote connection to my computer the following Registry entries were added (as recommended by Drive Manufacturer) followed by a re-start:
    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice2 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice3 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice4 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

End result, no change, the optical drive was not listed in File Explorer. The last comment from technical support before re-st was if this does not work the optical drive is not compatible with Windows 10*Eek Interesting how a device works properly for 6 weeks and now is not compatible with Windows 10.

I performed some not technical troubleshooting like manually ejecting the drive tray and inserting a disk. After the disk read completes, now the drive is listed under File Explorer and played without any problem. After ejecting the disk, the drive disappears again from File Explorer.

In summary, my opinion is that Microsoft released Windows 10 before thoroughly testing the operating system and relies on customer complaints to fix what should have been identified during the Beta testing. This evident by the "complimentary" support as it termed in the message sent at the end of the chat session. Perhaps someone from Microsoft with more than basic troubleshooting knowledge will read this post and consider addressing this problem.

Apodsim, Dec 18, 2020
Thema:

Optical Drive no longer shows up in Windows Explorer after WIN10 Upgrade

1. Optical Drive no longer shows up in Windows Explorer after WIN10 Upgrade - Similar Threads - Optical Drive longer

2. Optical drive not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Optical drive not showing: Hi,My optical drive to read DVDs is not recognized by my portable laptop Windows 10.Here is the context:I have an optical drive connected to my portable laptop via a SATA/USB cable.Here are my attempts to solve the issue:- I connected the drive to my laptop the normal way: it...
  3. Optical drive not showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Optical drive not showing: Hi,My optical drive to read DVDs is not recognized by my portable laptop Windows 10.Here is the context:I have an optical drive connected to my portable laptop via a SATA/USB cable.Here are my attempts to solve the issue:- I connected the drive to my laptop the normal way: it...
  4. Optical drive not showing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Can No Longer Access My Optical Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can No Longer Access My Optical Drive: Everything was working fine a couple of days ago. Yesterday could not access my optical drive. Ran a restore point to a couple of days prior and the optical drive worked again but the Windows Search box wouldn't work and Chrome wouldn't load. Undid the restore point this...
  6. Can No Longer Access My Optical Drive

Can No Longer Access My Optical Drive: Everything was working fine a couple of days ago. Yesterday could not access my optical drive. Ran a restore point to a couple of days prior and the optical drive worked again but the Windows Search box wouldn't work and Chrome wouldn't load. Undid the restore point this...
  7. Can No Longer Access My Optical Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. bluray optical drive no longer shows up in windows 10 after update

bluray optical drive no longer shows up in windows 10 after update: my pc recently updated and since the update, 1 of my 2 bluray drives both external usb2 no longer shows up in windows. not in explorer nor device manager. it shows up in the BIOS and works fine on another computer afaik it hasnt been updated in maybe a month or so, so the...
  9. Blue Ray Optical Drive Driver no longer works after WIN10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Blue Ray Optical Drive Driver no longer works after WIN10 Upgrade: My Blue Ray Optical Drive Driver no longer works after WIN10 Upgrade. It worked before the upgrade. I backed out the previous upgrade because it quit working then and I gave the reason that it no longer worked. It is a MATSHITA BD Drive. The Driver does not install. When will...
  10. Windows 10 and Optical Drive in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 and Optical Drive in File Explorer: Hello, I have searched the internet far and wide for a solution to no avail. I am using Windows 10 Home v1903, OS Build 18362.356. I am having difficulty getting File Explorer to show the Optical Drive all the time. If a CD/DVD is NOT in the drive, it does not show...