Windows 10: Optical drive recognized, discs spins but does not play

Discus and support Optical drive recognized, discs spins but does not play in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; A friend asked me to re-install Window 10 due to a failing Hard drive. After the install incl. all current (20H2) MS updates I encounter the following... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Biff2020, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Biff2020 Win User

Optical drive recognized, discs spins but does not play

A friend asked me to re-install Window 10 due to a failing Hard drive. After the install incl. all current (20H2) MS updates I encounter the following problem. The Optical drive displays in File Manager (and Device Manger) but does not auto play and discs. When manually clicking on the device it says, application not found. When inserting the disc you can hear it spinning up but that is as far as it goes. Optical drive worked fine before the new Windows install.
    So far: Removed DVD/CD Drive from Device manager. Check/reinstalled the driver. Checked REG for upper and Lower filter entries. Disable and re-enable AutoPlay.
    Not yet tried: Removing all IDE/ATAPI Controllers

I have limited/remote access to the problem PC so suggestion may take a bit of time to try and respond/update. Thanks for any suggestions. The PC is an HP23-d027c, the optical drive is a DVDRAM CT80V (possibly GT80V).

:)

Biff2020, Dec 20, 2020
  2. Jerry8A Win User

Optical Drive Issue

Hello Anak –

Appreciate your detailed return. Your added steps really helped.

Assuming I did the steps correctly, this is where I am now.

Screenshot 12 shows my CD Disc shortcut on my desktop.
    Screenshot 10 shows the CD Drive shortcut listed in the “Send to” listing.
    Screenshot 11 shows the “Send to” listing after the steps were taken, but the CD drive name is not listed.

So, it appears the steps did not work for me. And, I did try the steps, “If it still won’t do ……” and still no luck.

What do you think?

JerryA

Optical drive recognized, discs spins but does not play [​IMG]

Jerry8A, Dec 20, 2020
  3. WINDOWS 10 ANNIVERSARY UPDATE OPTICAL DISC DRIVE (CD/DVD) NOT WORKING

Hi,

We would like to know more about the issue, kindly clarify the following:

• When you say not working, is your optical disk drive not being detected or not being read/recognized?
    • Is this the first time that this happened or has it happened before?
    • Did the issue appear just right after updating?
    For Windows 10 recovery options, visit this
    link

You can check the
    Compatibility Troubleshooter
    for Windows 10.

Thank you.

Jeraldine Ase, Dec 20, 2020
  4. SampsP Win User

Optical Drives ejecting discs

The optical drives I have attached to my Win 10 PC have stopped recognizing discs.

The driver installed with the latest drivers and are physically recognized by the PC.

However, when a disc is inserted it is not recognized and autoplay does not happen. Furthermore, when using Explorer or any other application to select the drive, it ejects the disc and requests I insert a disc!

It's not the discs, as they work fine in other devices (PS4 etc.)

It's something to do with the installation of the drives on Win 10, as connecting the drives to another Win 10 pc results in the same experience.

It's something that happened sporadically over the last 6 months or so, and I put it down to unknown errors or blamed a single disc, but now the drives do not recognize any discs at all. They both worked perfectly fine for a long time.

They are both blu-ray writers, the PC is running Win 10 and has all Windows Updates applied. The two drives are from different manufacturers.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drives and I have updated the drivers but this has had no positive result.

Anyone have an idea on what could be causing this and a solution if possible!

Thanks in advance!

SampsP, Dec 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Optical drive recognized, discs spins but does not play - Similar Threads - Optical drive recognized

2. is there an optical disc drive for 11 - how can I insert/play dvd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is there an optical disc drive for 11 - how can I insert/play dvd: How can I play a DVD on Windows 11 - there is no tray in the HP pavilion desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-an-optical-disc-drive-for-11-how-can-i/2d22f6ad-f486-40f4-8a5e-9a88f1ee649e
  3. is there an optical disc drive for 11 - how can I insert/play dvd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is there an optical disc drive for 11 - how can I insert/play dvd: How can I play a DVD on Windows 11 - there is no tray in the HP pavilion desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-an-optical-disc-drive-for-11-how-can-i/2d22f6ad-f486-40f4-8a5e-9a88f1ee649e
  4. Win 10 Home, version 21H2, does not recognize DVD/CD Optical Disc Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 Home, version 21H2, does not recognize DVD/CD Optical Disc Drive: Dan_de_Lion,1. DVD/CD Optical Disc Drive originally came configured with my Toshiba P750 laptop when purchased and always worked until a recent Win 10 Home Update.2. I followed resolution methods 2, 3, 4 & 5 in link Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other...
  5. Optical disc drive not reading CDs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Optical disc drive not reading CDs: Device: LG Bluray M DISCWhen opened in file explorer, everything freezes for about 5min. before opening the CD. Upon opening, it shows no data. Have tested this on other drives and they open fine....
  6. Optical disc drive not reading CDs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Optical disc drive not reading CDs: Device: LG Bluray M DISCWhen opened in file explorer, everything freezes for about 5min. before opening the CD. Upon opening, it shows no data. Have tested this on other drives and they open fine....
  7. Optical disc drive not reading CDs

8. Optical Drive does not recognize cd's to burn

Optical Drive does not recognize cd's to burn: I have a new USB Slim portable Optical Drive and it reads cd's just fine with my Windows 10 laptop, but it will not write to empty cd's. Does anyone have a solution?...
  9. Optical Drives ejecting discs

Optical Drives ejecting discs: The optical drives I have attached to my Win 10 PC have stopped recognizing discs. The driver installed with the latest drivers and are physically recognized by the PC. However, when a disc is inserted it is not recognized and autoplay does not happen. Furthermore, when...
  10. Windows 10 does not recognize Disc Drive

Windows 10 does not recognize Disc Drive: After installing Windows 10 (I had 7 before), my computer does not recognize the D: Drive at all. I have a Lenovo H410 Desktop (Lenovo Windows 7PC). My scans show that all my drivers are updated, but there does not seem to be a driver for the disc drive. Is that what...