Windows 10: Optical drive will not read DVDs

Discus and support Optical drive will not read DVDs in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Have used VLC media player for a few years with no problem for both CDs and DVDs on Windows 10 OS. Suddenly DVDs are not recognised. The device is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by IanM9Me, Mar 1, 2021.

1. IanM9Me Win User

Optical drive will not read DVDs

Have used VLC media player for a few years with no problem for both CDs and DVDs on Windows 10 OS. Suddenly DVDs are not recognised. The device is working properly, drivers are up to date, have tried uninstalling the device and reinstalling, have edited the registry to remove upper and lower filters but nothing seems to work. Do NOT want to do a reinstall of Windows!

Will purchase of Windows DVD player fix this issue or will I just have the same problem with less $$ in my pocket?

:)

IanM9Me, Mar 1, 2021
  2. Jerry8A Win User

Optical Drive Issue

Hello Anak –

Appreciate your detailed return. Your added steps really helped.

Assuming I did the steps correctly, this is where I am now.

Screenshot 12 shows my CD Disc shortcut on my desktop.
    Screenshot 10 shows the CD Drive shortcut listed in the “Send to” listing.
    Screenshot 11 shows the “Send to” listing after the steps were taken, but the CD drive name is not listed.

So, it appears the steps did not work for me. And, I did try the steps, “If it still won’t do ……” and still no luck.

What do you think?

JerryA

Optical drive will not read DVDs [​IMG]

Jerry8A, Mar 1, 2021
  3. gonzoinaz Win User
    Optical Drive won't read media files on DVD

Hi Virginia,

Looks like currently on 1903

I have installed VLC Player, tested out the MS DVD Player. Programs like rippers can't read the movie files. Not necessarily concerned with playing a movie, more concerned about reading the files for the movie.

They are in the standard formats of VOB. I can play the files that are stored natively in VOB format if stored on a hard drive. Seems to be limited to reading the VOB files via any optical drive.

Firmware is up to date on the optical drive

Region Code of DVD is 1 and Drive is 1.

Thanks,

Mark

gonzoinaz, Mar 1, 2021
  4. Optical drive will not read DVDs

Optical Drive (CD/DVD) not detected by Windows 10

I know this has been asked in the community many times already by others, and i have tried all of those fixes. Nothing works for me. My laptop is a new Lenovo e560. The cd/dvd drive is detected in the BIOS - can even boot with another bootable DVD.

Steps already tried:

• LowerFilters & UpperFilters strings removed from under registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and rebooted the laptop.

• Added Controller0 key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\ and added a DWORD
      EnumDevice1 with value 1, and rebooted the laptop.

• In Device Manager, clicked View->Show Hidden Objects, expanded the
      DVD/CDROM Devices and uninstalled my DVD drive from the list. It never got detected or installed after a reboot - it's gone now, cannot see it anymore.

• In Device Manager, expanded IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. But the only thing here is
      Intel 6th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI controller. There is nothing else there - no ATA Channel 0 or ATA Channel 1 (things that have been suggested to be deleted on other posts regarding this issue). So I uninstalled
      the SATA AHCI controller and rebooted. It just reinstalled it automatically. But no CD/DVD drive yet.

• In Device Manager, scanned for new hardware.

• And yes, I already ran the Hardware Troubleshooter.

I've gotten these above steps from the following posts:

Those helped a lot of people (try those first if you are having the same issue). But as you can guess none of those steps helped me, hence creation of this post.

TousifSaleh, Mar 1, 2021
Thema:

Optical drive will not read DVDs

1. Optical drive will not read DVDs - Similar Threads - Optical drive read

2. Optical disc drive not reading CDs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Optical disc drive not reading CDs: Device: LG Bluray M DISCWhen opened in file explorer, everything freezes for about 5min. before opening the CD. Upon opening, it shows no data. Have tested this on other drives and they open fine....
  3. Optical disc drive not reading CDs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Optical disc drive not reading CDs: Device: LG Bluray M DISCWhen opened in file explorer, everything freezes for about 5min. before opening the CD. Upon opening, it shows no data. Have tested this on other drives and they open fine....
  4. Optical disc drive not reading CDs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. DVD Drive not reading DVDs/CDs in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DVD Drive not reading DVDs/CDs in Windows 10: So recently I have been wanting to rip some of my DVD library (for personal use, of course), but for some reason the DVD drive on my laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad T430) is not reading the discs which I put in. I am about to purchase an external DVD drive to read the DVDs, but I...
  6. The optical CD/DVD drive cannot read discs

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    The optical CD/DVD drive cannot read discs: Hi, My optical drive has stopped working after installing and uninstalling DAEMON Tools Lite. Previously, everything worked properly. A DVD RW E : drive is visible in Windows Explorer. After inserting the disc into the drive, you can hear the disc spinning and trying to...
  7. Optical Drive on Toshiba C55-A is not reading anything

Optical Drive on Toshiba C55-A is not reading anything: Hello, My CD/DVD-W is not reading anything. It is displaying on My Computer and when I right click on it and select open it opens so I don't think it is a mechanical problem, but when I insert any type of CD it does not read it, it gives me an message to insert a CD. I...
  8. Optical Drive won't read media files on DVD

Optical Drive won't read media files on DVD: I have scoured the internet for the solutions that have been posted but none of them have yet to be successful. This is the only thing holding me back from upgrading from 7 to 10 on my main computer. It seems that on my multiple computers with Windows 10, no movie DVD can...
  9. CD/DVD drive not reading DVDs

CD/DVD drive not reading DVDs: My CD/DVD drive cannot read/write to DVD, yet it reads and writes to CDs! The Device Manages shows that the drive is working normally, yet when I insert a DVD, I get the error message "no media"! I have tried uninstalling the drive and re-installing it, but the fault...
  10. Persistent issues with reading optical media drive

Persistent issues with reading optical media drive: I've been having persistent issues with my optical media (bluray/cd/dvd) drive that I believe at present to be software/windows based. The drive used to work fine, until recently. On startup, the drive appears in "This PC" as normal. If there's no disk inserted, it appears...