Windows 10: Optical Drive won't read media files on DVD

Discus and support Optical Drive won't read media files on DVD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have scoured the internet for the solutions that have been posted but none of them have yet to be successful. This is the only thing holding me back... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by gonzoinaz, Dec 10, 2019.

1. gonzoinaz Win User

Optical Drive won't read media files on DVD

I have scoured the internet for the solutions that have been posted but none of them have yet to be successful. This is the only thing holding me back from upgrading from 7 to 10 on my main computer.

It seems that on my multiple computers with Windows 10, no movie DVD can be read. On DVDs with data in addition to the movie, those files are read but not the movie files. DVDs that only have movie content it thinks there is no data on it.

Here are the items I have troubleshot. Computer is up to date on Win updates.

DVD works in Win 7

Same DVD not reading media files in Win 10

Built in drive reads CDs no issue in Win 10

External drive reads CDs no issue in Win 7 and Win 10

External drive has same issues as built in drive in terms of reading movie files in Win 10

VLC can read the drive

Win DVD Player says wrong region code but it is listed as correct

No new drivers are available for drive

Specs for test computer:

Intel BOXDB43LD mobo

Pentium E6300 2.8GHz processor

Integrated Video

8GB RAM

12TB Total HD Space

Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD Burner

Am I overlooking something simple?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

:)

gonzoinaz, Dec 10, 2019

2. DVD drive won't read DVD's

I recently reformatted my mac to clean it all up and what not, and I forgot I had a problem with trying to load and read my dvd disc on my disc drive. It's an applications DVD that came with the macbook pro, I dont need it but the programs they provide are very useful, any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

-1nf1n1ty-, Dec 10, 2019
  3. DVD player unable to play media files from computer.

Hello Chin,

We regret form the inconvenience. Let me assist you.

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to work through the steps below to identify the cause of the problem.

The problem could lie with:

• The connector cables/connections - are they securely fastened? Are they in the right place? Are all the electrical sockets in good working order?
    • The DVD disc itself - Check if a different DVD works
    • The DVD Player's optical reader (the lens which 'reads' the data from DVDs)

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to check if decreasing the speed of your burner while writing the disk help.

Hope the above information holds good.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Dec 10, 2019
  4. Optical Drive won't read media files on DVD

Optical Drive (CD/DVD) not detected by Windows 10

I know this has been asked in the community many times already by others, and i have tried all of those fixes. Nothing works for me. My laptop is a new Lenovo e560. The cd/dvd drive is detected in the BIOS - can even boot with another bootable DVD.

Steps already tried:

• LowerFilters & UpperFilters strings removed from under registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and rebooted the laptop.

• Added Controller0 key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\ and added a DWORD
      EnumDevice1 with value 1, and rebooted the laptop.

• In Device Manager, clicked View->Show Hidden Objects, expanded the
      DVD/CDROM Devices and uninstalled my DVD drive from the list. It never got detected or installed after a reboot - it's gone now, cannot see it anymore.

• In Device Manager, expanded IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. But the only thing here is
      Intel 6th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI controller. There is nothing else there - no ATA Channel 0 or ATA Channel 1 (things that have been suggested to be deleted on other posts regarding this issue). So I uninstalled
      the SATA AHCI controller and rebooted. It just reinstalled it automatically. But no CD/DVD drive yet.

• In Device Manager, scanned for new hardware.

• And yes, I already ran the Hardware Troubleshooter.

I've gotten these above steps from the following posts:

Those helped a lot of people (try those first if you are having the same issue). But as you can guess none of those steps helped me, hence creation of this post.

TousifSaleh, Dec 10, 2019
Thema:

Optical Drive won't read media files on DVD

1. Optical Drive won't read media files on DVD - Similar Threads - Optical Drive won't

2. Optical drive will not read DVDs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Optical drive will not read DVDs: Have used VLC media player for a few years with no problem for both CDs and DVDs on Windows 10 OS. Suddenly DVDs are not recognised. The device is working properly, drivers are up to date, have tried uninstalling the device and reinstalling, have edited the registry to remove...
  3. DVD Installation with no optic drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    DVD Installation with no optic drive: Hi, I accidentally purchased the DVD version of Windows 10 for a new pc build that doesn't have an optical drive. Is it possible to use a serial number or something on this DVD to transfer over to a USB version, or do I need to return the DVD and buy a new license entirely?...
  4. The optical CD/DVD drive cannot read discs

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    The optical CD/DVD drive cannot read discs: Hi, My optical drive has stopped working after installing and uninstalling DAEMON Tools Lite. Previously, everything worked properly. A DVD RW E : drive is visible in Windows Explorer. After inserting the disc into the drive, you can hear the disc spinning and trying to...
  5. optical drive won't play dvd....

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    optical drive won't play dvd....: my laptop, widows 10, will not play my new dvd's. I'm very disappointed-need help.... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optical-drive-wont-play-dvd/b385b903-15dd-4832-b87a-408700b1f2ed"
  6. DVD Drive Won't Read Discs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD Drive Won't Read Discs: Hello! I have a Dell Latitude e6440. The DVD drive just randomly stopped reading disc's a week and a half ago in the middle of playing a DVD. Any ideas of things I could try to fix it?...
  7. Persistent issues with reading optical media drive

Persistent issues with reading optical media drive: I've been having persistent issues with my optical media (bluray/cd/dvd) drive that I believe at present to be software/windows based. The drive used to work fine, until recently. On startup, the drive appears in "This PC" as normal. If there's no disk inserted, it appears...
  8. DVD/CD Drive won't read discs!!

DVD/CD Drive won't read discs!!: I have a Toshiba Satellite L755 Laptop, and when I bought it from my friend, it was still Windows 7 and the DVD/CD drive worked fine, but after I upgraded to Windows 10, when I put in any disc, it doesn't read. I've contacted support multiple times, they tried to help but...
  9. My DVD Drive won't read DVD discs, but will read game discs, and CD's that contains files.

My DVD Drive won't read DVD discs, but will read game discs, and CD's that contains files.: I have been searching for the past couple of months now. Never had issues before and ever since the major 1803 windows 10 update, my driver is still not working properly. This is ridiculous. My driver will read certain cd's containing files. Game cd's work fine. Does not...
  10. DVD Drive, not reading any Media

DVD Drive, not reading any Media: This has been going on for a while but neither of my DVD internal drives are reading any DVD or CD There both TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-223L they use to run everything and burn everything. some how neither will read any disk? any ideas both are reconsied as DVDRW drives in...