Windows 10: Optical drives in both Windows 10 computers recognize Blu-Ray Disks, but not DVDs and CDs

Discus and support Optical drives in both Windows 10 computers recognize Blu-Ray Disks, but not DVDs and CDs in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; As I suddenly have the exact same issue with both my desktop and laptop, I have to believe the trouble lies in a recent Windows 10 update.I have an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BruceBertrand, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Optical drives in both Windows 10 computers recognize Blu-Ray Disks, but not DVDs and CDs

As I suddenly have the exact same issue with both my desktop and laptop, I have to believe the trouble lies in a recent Windows 10 update.I have an internal Blu-Ray burner in my laptop and an external Blu-Ray burner connected to my desktop. Both drives read and write Blu-Ray movies, and Blu-Ray Roms, but no longer recognize DVDs or CDs of any kind, blank or recorded.What could possibly be going on? Incidentally, the Windows 10 driver cdrom.sys is dated 6/21/2006. That is considerably older than the drives!I have tried uninstalling the devices and rebooting several times with no change.

:)

BruceBertrand, Dec 5, 2021

2. Windows 10 - Support for Floppy Disk Drives - DVD Movie Playback - Burn CD/DVD/Blu-Ray

I have leart by reading a post and watching a video that Windows 8 and Windows 10 no longer support DVD movie playback. The problem is that the device drivers and codecs that are normally built-in to every version of Microsoft Windows, all the way up to
    Windows 7 has been removed in Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

The hardware support for reading floppy disks has also been removed. Read more here:

Floppy Disk Support

Read more here:
    Windows 10 DVD Playback

I have a couple of questions that I want you to answer me.

• Is it possible to burn a CD, DVD and Blu-Ray disk in Windows 10?
    • Will Microsoft re-enable the full support for floppy disk drives and DVD Movie playback?

I am disappointed on Windows 10 as it currently stands now. In Windows XP and Windows 7, it is possible to do anything you like in those two operating system. They are fully versatile and customizable to the user for much better experience.

But, Windows 10 does not give that possibility to their customers.

When I download a program from the Internet which I want to keep permanently, I burn it to CD, DVD or Blu-Ray disk. Computer hardware these days must give full support for optical drives. All my laptops and PCs in my home have an optical drive for burning
    data.

Cesare Vesdani, Dec 5, 2021
  3. Windows Explorer won't recognize BluRay, DVD or CD disc files with new Blu Ray Drive (WH16NS40)

I was able to solve the issue, thankfully. My Blu ray player is working properly now. The following is the process I used to troubleshoot the situation.

1. First, I restarted my Windows 10 PC in Safe Mode. I observed that the Blu
      ray optical drive worked properly. I was able to insert a CD and view it in Windows File Explorer as expected. This told me that it was a software issue and not a hardware issue.
    2. Next, based on my observation while in Safe mode, I tried performing a clean
      boot in Windows 10
      . I observed that after I disabled all the non-Microsoft services that my Blu ray optical drive worked properly. I then followed the instructions of turning half the services back on and keeping half of the services off. Eventually, I
      came to a service that when turned on would keep my Blu ray optical drive from working properly. For me, it ended up being an Asustek Lighting Service that controls all the RGB components in my PC, their colors, and the patterns of displaying the color. By
      disabling this service (and re-enabling all the others) my Blu ray optical drive is working as expected.

One observation I had while doing this is it's best to remove the CD/DVD/Blu Ray disc from the drive before restarting and then re-inserting once you are logged into Windows 10. I went through the steps above and received a false-positive after I had turned
    them all back on and it was working. I kept the CD I was working with in the drive the whole time, which subsequently seemed to work. I was relieved that all seemed "fixed" but realized the false-positive when I tried inserting another CD into the drive.

I then proceeded to run through the process again only this time I removed the CD each time before restarting Windows 10 and then re-inserted the CD when I logged in. This gave the proper observations as when I inserted the CD with the offending service
    it would error as before.

I verified it was the Asustek Lighting service as when I manually turned the service off in the "Services" screen the optical drive worked properly. Once I turned it back on the drive stopped working. I also tried the "Automatic (Delayed start)" setting
    and this did not work either.

digiSweetness, Dec 5, 2021
  4. Optical drives in both Windows 10 computers recognize Blu-Ray Disks, but not DVDs and CDs

LG BLU-RAY BH10LS30 INTERNAL: I cannot write CD/DVDs

Hello,

My Blu-Ray writer (LG BH10LS30) was working perfectly on Windows 7 64bit Pro (reading and copying) but when I upgraded to Windows 10, the device was not recognized.

I tried the solutions described in https://support.microsoft.com/es-es...s-not-recognized-by-windows-or-other-programs and after some tries, it worked.

Now the device is recognized and I can read all formats (CD, DVD, Blu-Ray) but I cannot copy any disk!!!.

As soon as I tried to copy, it starts to write but a few secons after an error appears that stops the process and kills the disk...

I upgraded to the latest LG firmware (2014!) but it doesn´t work

Any suggestion?

Many thanks

PabloCastillo1, Dec 5, 2021
Thema:

Optical drives in both Windows 10 computers recognize Blu-Ray Disks, but not DVDs and CDs

1. Optical drives in both Windows 10 computers recognize Blu-Ray Disks, but not DVDs and CDs - Similar Threads - Optical drives both

2. Optical drives in both Windows 10 computers recognize Blu-Ray Disks, but not DVDs and CDs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Optical drives in both Windows 10 computers recognize Blu-Ray Disks, but not DVDs and CDs: As I suddenly have the exact same issue with both my desktop and laptop, I have to believe the trouble lies in a recent Windows 10 update.I have an internal Blu-Ray burner in my laptop and an external Blu-Ray burner connected to my desktop. Both drives read and write Blu-Ray...
  3. Optical drives in both Windows 10 computers recognize Blu-Ray Disks, but not DVDs and CDs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Optical drives in both Windows 10 computers recognize Blu-Ray Disks, but not DVDs and CDs: As I suddenly have the exact same issue with both my desktop and laptop, I have to believe the trouble lies in a recent Windows 10 update.I have an internal Blu-Ray burner in my laptop and an external Blu-Ray burner connected to my desktop. Both drives read and write Blu-Ray...
  4. Windows 10 - Unable to read Blu-Ray disk in Blu-Ray drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 - Unable to read Blu-Ray disk in Blu-Ray drive.: I am running Win 10 Pro Build 19042.685 I have an LG blu-ray player installed in the machine. The drive will recognize audio CD/ data/media DVD's but not Blu-Ray disks. I put a BR in the drive, close the drive and the drive pops open with an "Insert disk in drive" pop up...
  5. Blu-ray disk player

Blu-ray disk player: What is the purpose of connecting a Blu-ray disk player to the internet? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blu-ray-disk-player/92b29721-7839-41b0-943a-d51020da0a02
  6. Problem playing blu-ray disks in BD-Drive

Problem playing blu-ray disks in BD-Drive: Hey, all (winver says I'm using Windows 10 ver 1909 build 18363.778) Using win10 on a fairly powerful system (built it myself to be able to study 3DS Max). I have a standard BD-Rom drive. The problem: I can read DVDs as both video and data disks, no problem. I can put a...
  7. Cannot Write a Blu-Ray Image to a Blu-Ray drive.

Cannot Write a Blu-Ray Image to a Blu-Ray drive.: I created a Blu-Ray image in ISO format. I then attempted to burn it to a Blu-Ray disk. First, I tried using a BD-RE and when I got an incompatible media error, I tried a standard BD-R. - The ISO size was well within the capacity of the disks I was attempting to write them...
  8. Blu Ray Drives no longer recognize any media

Blu Ray Drives no longer recognize any media: I installed a new motherboard and now both my optical drives no longer recognize any form of media. I have uninstalled both drives and reinstalled. They show up in device manager but do not work. They are Asus BW-12B1ST & Asus DRW-2014L1T. Any ideas? Thanks. 155455
  9. playing blu-ray disks on my computer

playing blu-ray disks on my computer: I have a blu-ray disk but i cant figure out how to play the blu-ray movie disks. Windows media player and MS Movies and TV dont play them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/playing-blu-ray-disks-on-my-computer/f902dc72-d9a3-4959-b0b6-00c72449d6f0
  10. Can not burn DVDs but Blu Ray burning works

Can not burn DVDs but Blu Ray burning works: I can see the DVD drive go, as a DVD requires a higher intensity Laser for burning. But not the Blu-Ray drive. I guess you will have to replace one of the drives to verify it is a drive problem. DVD drives are relatively cheap any more. I see $20 DVD burner drives at...