Windows 10: Optimal setting for swap file question

Discus and support Optimal setting for swap file question in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; hi guys, I have 16 GB ram quite fast that i bought recently and i was wondering what's a good setting for pagefile setting. currently i have, custom... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by gabgab, Jul 23, 2020.

1. gabgab Win User

Optimal setting for swap file question

hi guys,

I have 16 GB ram quite fast that i bought recently and i was wondering what's a good setting for pagefile setting.

currently i have, custom size:

Intial 8000 mb
    Max size 12000 mb

and it seems to be going very well, just knocked down the comp with a heavy SEO app, using 96% of ram but the PC is still fast (using XTU as well for a stress test though) which is amazing.

could i do better or this is pretty good? i read in many places the 1.5 x ram size rule so i would have to set custom for both fields to 24GB i guess....

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.959]

i have space on the hdd but not TONS of it as its a 256GB ssd.

thanks!
    Gabrio

:)

gabgab, Jul 23, 2020
  2. Callender Win User

That's the best choice for most users.

Personally on SSD with only 4Gb RAM I find that running with a minimum size pagefile has no effect on performance.

Optimal setting for swap file question [​IMG]

However browser cache is moved to RAM (as recommended on SSD to save writes) and with Superfetch also disabled.

Nobody is ever going to agree on this subject and as stated the real answer is to do your own tests and compare.

Callender, Aug 4, 2020
  3. Steve C Win User
    A swap file question

Do you mean the swap file or page file? The swap file is generally small c. 16MB.

Steve C, Aug 4, 2020
  4. Optimal setting for swap file question

A swap file question

Hello
    from my research and past experience, I have been led to believe that
    1-the swop file should be 1.5 x RAM
    2-It should not be on multiple drives
    3-C drive swap file holds crash dump files, so not sure if that should have a swap file as well as another HDD

however now I see MS suggest a max of 3x RAM and another site suggested creating a separate partition just for the swap file, to this end I have created a swap file partition of 32 GB ( set min & max to 32GB to prevent fragmentation or does this matter in this instance ? )

I am certain from what I read that this has been discussed very often, but with conflicting info, would like a definitive answer, also can performance suffer if the swap file is too big ?

this is For a 64 BIT PC.....it’s getting a bit old now, was looking at how to improve performance, as the CPU often maxes at 100% when doing video conversions, during which time even slows down file copying .

reddwarf4ever, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Optimal setting for swap file question - Similar Threads - Optimal setting swap

2. Delivery Optimization Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Delivery Optimization Files: How to find delivery optimization files in file explorer other than disk cleanup and windows setting? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delivery-optimization-files/71ae4754-fa85-49f7-a9bc-30fd5aaaf11a
  3. Delivery Optimization Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delivery Optimization Files: How to find delivery optimization files in file explorer other than disk cleanup and windows setting? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delivery-optimization-files/71ae4754-fa85-49f7-a9bc-30fd5aaaf11a
  4. Delivery Optimization Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Disk optimization setting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk optimization setting: How to reset my Disk optimization setting to default.. My laptop working to slow and told me that's a way to make it works more faster. submitted by /u/alimuftah [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kfmhbk/disk_optimization_setting/
  6. [Question] Additional folder optimization entries?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Question] Additional folder optimization entries?: I was wondering if it is at all possible, be it within Windows or via a 3rd party application, to have more than the five default folder optimization options? By default there is General items, Documents, Pictures, Music and Videos. While these cover most bases I wouldn't...
  7. A swap file question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    A swap file question: Hello from my research and past experience, I have been led to believe that 1-the swop file should be 1.5 x RAM 2-It should not be on multiple drives 3-C drive swap file holds crash dump files, so not sure if that should have a swap file as well as another HDD however now I...
  8. delivery optimization question

in Windows 10 Customization
    delivery optimization question: So my allow downloads from other pc's is grayed out and it says "*some of these settings are managed by your organization" at the top, I was wondering if there was a way of fixing this? I like to have it on when downloading games from the store as it downloads faster....
  9. Delivery Optimization Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Delivery Optimization Files: I was downloading Forza Horizon 4 yesterday and today I went to see my disk's and saw that I lost like 60 GB on my C disk installed on D and then I ran disk cleanup tool and saw the Delivery Optimization Files. Is it safe to delete?...
  10. Page and Swap File?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Page and Swap File?: I've set the Page File for my C: drive to No Page File and my D: to System Managed. Doing this places the Page File on my D: drive, which is the faster of the 2 drives. [img] The question is, should I still have a Swap File on my C: drive and also one on my D:...