Windows 10: Optimization display oddity

Discus and support Optimization display oddity in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; In the optimization tool the last item lists a hard drive that is 13% fragmented. There is no such drive, and none is shown in the Disk Management... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by borgus, Nov 4, 2017.

1. borgus Win User

Optimization display oddity

In the optimization tool the last item lists a hard drive that is 13% fragmented. There is no such drive, and none is shown in the Disk Management display. The two drives in use are C and D - a hard drive - and J and system reserved - an SSD.

Neither analyzing nor optimizing has any effect, but for a brief flash, on this phantom hard drive. What is it?
    Optimization display oddity [​IMG]

:)

borgus, Nov 4, 2017

2. Display Oddity with Windows 10

That's the volume indicator -- and since it drifts down to zero it makes me believe your computer has a volume-down button that it stuck.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Nov 4, 2017
  3. Display Oddity with Windows 10

I'm not even really certain how to classify this, since I don't really know what to call it.

There is an image on my screen, upper left, sitting on top of whatever page happens to be open. If I click on it, it counts down to zero, and does nothing. There is an "X" at the bottom, which does nothing. Right clicking gives no menu. And I can't even
    describe it to Google/Bing it. I've attached a screen shot.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Debbi

Optimization display oddity [​IMG]

Debbi Lund, Nov 4, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

That would be a Recovery drive. Doesn't disk management show you have one?

Bree, Nov 4, 2017
  5. Steve C Win User
    You don't really need to optimise those hidden system partitions and you can configure Optimise & Defragment to ignore them.

Steve C, Nov 4, 2017
  6. borgus Win User
    Win 7 and 10 are on separate drives. Vaguely recall that ten's recovery partition was wiped out during a clean install some years back, but updates since may have restored it.

As mentioned, Disk Management lists what's shown above - minus the phantom - when accessed from either O/S.

That said, the laptop has the same 'phantom' though it shows 0 defragmentation and "never run."
    So, apparently, the entry isn't unique, though the desktop reports 13% that cannot be defragged.

borgus, Nov 4, 2017
  7. Id be curious to see what comes up in GParted - a Linux based live system for working with disks and partitions - about that seemingly phantom volume. Download it here and set it up per the instructions. See what info it has to give on that, if you can access it and see whats on it.

ArazelEternal, Nov 4, 2017
  8. borgus Win User

Yes,, a curiosity, but considering that this is seen on both the laptop and the desktop it's apparently normal and not worth lengthy pursuit.

Thanks.

borgus, Nov 5, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    If it bugs you, you can just give it a label. See this thread on the same subject...
    DRIVE ? in disk defragmented after clean install

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Optimization display oddity - Similar Threads - Optimization display oddity

2. Network oddities

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network oddities: I hope you can help, I've been trying to figure this out and i'm scratching my head.We get intermittent connectivity issues with the client PCs connecting to the server i.e. randomly they will lose the connection to the network drives.In the DHCP settings it was originally...
  3. Network oddities

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network oddities: I hope you can help, I've been trying to figure this out and i'm scratching my head.We get intermittent connectivity issues with the client PCs connecting to the server i.e. randomly they will lose the connection to the network drives.In the DHCP settings it was originally...
  4. LiteTouch/MDT Oddity

LiteTouch/MDT Oddity: Good Afternoon!My company just recently spun up an MDT environment in order to image PCs. I've done this before, so it wasn't too tough to get it going. I am having one oddity that I'm hoping someone here has seen and can help with. So LiteTouch runs through its PE task...
  5. Network Oddity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Oddity: Hi, This is my first post. I hope it's coherent. I have two Windows 10 Pro 1909 (OS 18363.657) machines on my LAN - Alpha and Beta. Alpha and Beta can each see each other - no discovery problems. From Beta, I can click on the Alpha Icon and access all the shares on Alpha...
  6. OneDrive oddities

OneDrive oddities: Hello all! So I'm here to ask if anyone has been noticing any odd peculiarities in regards to their OneDrive files. I ask this because I know someone who recently went through a disaster with OneDrive (it's good if you back up your vital data, it's better to have a...
  7. Printing oddity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Printing oddity: I use standard "Mail" and print via wifi - normally with no problems. (Epson WF - 2510)I have one particular email which will not print from my laptop. There is no error message on the laptop or the printer. All other emails print ok That same email can be printed from my...
  8. Keyboard oddities

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard oddities: On a Toshiba laptop, 3 years old, running w10 since it's release, I recently received another update after the big one which reactivates Cortana without asking. After one of those two it appears I have keyboard issues. Both the built-in and an external keyboard work fine for...
  9. Bios Oddity

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bios Oddity: Just built a computer and when I boot it up it takes me to the splash screen which says press del to enter bios ect. Im using a wireless usb keyboard and when I press it and the speaker makes a typing noise but nothing happens?? How can I get it to actually enter bios because...
  10. Chkdsk oddity

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Chkdsk oddity: By chance checked diskpart commands on PS and found warnings regarding both USB drives (one a micro-SD). Code: PS C:\windows\system32> Get-Volume DriveLetter FileSystemLabel FileSystem DriveType HealthStatus OperationalStatus SizeRemaining Size -----------...