Windows 10: “Optimization not available” for Raid drive

Discus and support “Optimization not available” for Raid drive in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How can I optimize my primary raid drives when "optimization not available" is shown? ***Modified title from: Windows 10 pro optimization***... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KenHarwood, Jan 20, 2020.

1. “Optimization not available” for Raid drive

How can I optimize my primary raid drives when "optimization not available" is shown?

***Modified title from: Windows 10 pro optimization***

:)

KenHarwood, Jan 20, 2020

2. optimization not available

Hi Brock,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10 Insider Preview.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are glad to assist you.

I suggest you to start the Optimize drives Service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • Search for Optimize drives Service.
    • Double click on Optimize drives Service and click on
      Start
      button.
    • Click on the dropdown list and set the Startup type to Automatic.

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on Windows 10 help & how-to.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/support

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jan 20, 2020
  3. JosephHW Win User
    Windows 10, RAID 1, Optimize Shows HDD, not SSD

In my new Windows 10 desktop computer, (RAID 1, Two SSD's), I see Optimize shows "Hard Disk Drive", NOT "SSD", and I want to be sure defragmentation is not applied to these drives, instead of the proper TRIM utility. What need I do? I found a reply for
    this regarding Windows 8, but not sure how to proceed in Windows 10:

"

Created on October 30, 2013

SSDs Showing up as HDD in system - Windows 8.1 GA/RTM

I had this issue during the preview and it appears to happen again in the final version of 8.1 as well.

Somehow the system is incorrectly registering my 2x RAID SDDs as HDDs, which thus during the weekly "Optimization" runs a defragmentation on them instead correctly running TRIM instead. Which is quite frustrating to see it's still in the final product.

In my preview thread the suggestion to fix this was to run WinSAT (Windows System Assessment Tool) from Powershell. It worked during the preview to correctly identify my SSDs and it appears to work in the final version as well.

The description on how to run it from my previous thread:

"Usually the detection of SSDs can be forced by running the Windows Experience Index (= WEI, file name: WINSAT.EXE).

You may have to run Windows Experience Index to force windows to detect RAID SSD in Windows 8.1.2013

Follow these steps:

a. Press “Windows key + W” from the keyboard.

b. Type “Administrative tools” without quotes in the search box.

c. Select “Administrative tools” option from the list.

d. Then right click on “Windows PowerShell ISE” and select “Run as Administrator” option.

e. Type “WinSAT diskformal” without quotes in the PowerShell and hit Enter.

You will see:

“Win8.1 Preview - Manual execution of the Windows Experience Index.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)”.

f. Close “Windows PowerShell” and run Windows Optimization.

g. This should detect “RAID configured SSD on Windows 8.1."

I highly suggest if you have SSDs, especially in RAID, that you check the Optimize Drives interface to see if it's correctly identifying your drives and if it isn't to run WinSAT diskformal from PowerShell.

JosephHW, Jan 20, 2020
  4. JosephHW Win User

“Optimization not available” for Raid drive

Windows 10 / Raid 1: "Optimize" shows HDD, NOT installed SSD's

I HAVE NOT RECEIVED A COMPLETE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION: PLEASE, HELP!

In my new Windows 10 desktop computer, (RAID 1, Two SSD's), I see Optimize shows "Hard Disk Drive", NOT "SSD", and I want to be sure defragmentation is not applied to these drives, instead of the proper TRIM utility. What need I do? I found a reply for
    this regarding Windows 8, but not sure how to proceed in Windows 10:

"Created on October 30, 2013

SSDs Showing up as HDD in system - Windows 8.1 GA/RTM

I had this issue during the preview and it appears to happen again in the final version of 8.1 as well.

Somehow the system is incorrectly registering my 2x RAID SDDs as HDDs, which thus during the weekly "Optimization" runs a defragmentation on them instead correctly running TRIM instead. Which is quite frustrating to see it's still in the final product.

In my preview thread the suggestion to fix this was to run WinSAT (Windows System Assessment Tool) from Powershell. It worked during the preview to correctly identify my SSDs and it appears to work in the final version as well.

The description on how to run it from my previous thread:

"Usually the detection of SSDs can be forced by running the Windows Experience Index (= WEI, file name: WINSAT.EXE).

You may have to run Windows Experience Index to force windows to detect RAID SSD in Windows 8.1.2013

Follow these steps:

a. Press “Windows key + W” from the keyboard.

b. Type “Administrative tools” without quotes in the search box.

c. Select “Administrative tools” option from the list.

d. Then right click on “Windows PowerShell ISE” and select “Run as Administrator” option.

e. Type “WinSAT diskformal” without quotes in the PowerShell and hit Enter.

“Win8.1 Preview - Manual execution of the Windows Experience Index.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)”.

f. Close “Windows PowerShell” and run Windows Optimization.

g. This should detect “RAID configured SSD on Windows 8.1."

I highly suggest if you have SSDs, especially in RAID, that you check the Optimize Drives interface to see if it's correctly identifying your drives and if it isn't to run WinSAT diskformal from PowerShell."

In reply to Sumit (Independent Advisor)'s post on January 5, 2020

How can I verify/be certain? In the Windows 8 advice, copied from the Microsoft Community, you see there can be an issue especially in RAID (1) configuration, where the hard drive(s) are not recognized as SSD, and a corrective procedure is given (for Windows
    8, but I have Windows 10). Is there some equivalent method to confirm my SSD's are receiving TRIM, not Defragment? I ran "optimize" manually, and to my eyes, the process looked exactly like the "defragment" I've run for years on my old, Windows 7 with HDD.
    As you see, I want to exercise extreme caution in protecting these 2, extremely expensive 2TB SSD's.

• Independent Advisor
    I agree to a certain extent about RAID that the things are unclear(I have to ask that to TPTB) but for normal configs please see this article from a Microsoft Employee.

https://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAndComple...

In reply to Sumit (Independent Advisor)'s post on January 6, 2020

I did read the article you referenced. While I am not a very technical person, I can see my issue is different than the issue addressed in that article. The article revolves around how Windows treats, maintains a SSD, and in the example "optimize window"
    the drive is clearly called "SSD" by Windows. IN MY OPTIMIZER, the drive is called "Hard Drive", and this is the first basis of my concern that the drive is not being maintained as a SSD.

I very much appreciate your offer to further investigate. Again, please note my system is RAID 1, with (2) mirrored, 2TB SSD's, "hardware based RAID" with the controller on the motherboard. I will await further information. Again, my issue/concern is
    not so much how Windows maintains an SSD, rather whether Windows sees my array AS SSD.

JosephHW, Jan 20, 2020
Thema:

“Optimization not available” for Raid drive

1. “Optimization not available” for Raid drive - Similar Threads - “Optimization available” Raid

2. SSD Optimization Not Available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Optimization Not Available: I cannot seem to get a straight answer to this question anywhere I search.My external SSD suddenly started running very slowly. It's a Samsung EVO 860 500GB. Windows 11 plenty of RAM etc. Power Options = High Performance Plan=====I open Optimize Drives and it says:• C Drive...
  3. SSD Optimization Not Available

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD Optimization Not Available: I cannot seem to get a straight answer to this question anywhere I search.My external SSD suddenly started running very slowly. It's a Samsung EVO 860 500GB. Windows 11 plenty of RAM etc. Power Options = High Performance Plan=====I open Optimize Drives and it says:• C Drive...
  4. Drive optimization

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive optimization: I mistakenly optimized my ssd drive right before learning optimization is only for hdd. How to I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-optimization/16c5e8ad-ce65-4833-a16f-66fa3f8e9185
  5. Optimize Drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Optimize Drives: Just bought a new AsusExpertCenter desktop with a solid state drive. Should i turn off optimize drives? Am running win 10- 19043-1081. 182101
  6. Storage Space on RAID not available

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Space on RAID not available: Windows 10 pro, just installed. Version 20H2. (Updates not yet started.) Two RAID 1 arrays created in BIOS MB: X570 AORUS Ultra, BIOS date Dec. 2019 I just installed Win10 Pro on the first RAID 1 (two M.2 drives). Windows cannot see the larger RAID 1 (SATA) I'd planned to use...
  7. Optimize Drives Tool shows Never Run or Optimization not available in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Optimize Drives Tool shows Never Run or Optimization not available in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Windows offers disk optimization tools that can help you speed up system performance. In fact, a lot of this is automated and can be scheduled […] This article Optimize Drives Tool shows Never Run or Optimization not available in Windows 10 first appeared on...
  8. Optimize Drives

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Optimize Drives: I'm running Windows 10 version 2004. Since I upgraded when I optimize drives the PC goes thru the procedure and shows me a date and 0% fragmented. As soon as I go back to Optimize Drives under last analyzed it says Never Run. If this is some kind of glitch in version 2004...
  9. Optimize drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Optimize drives: It appears that when I am doing "Optimize drives "on SSD , the current status is not held in mind of the computer and it show all the time " needs optimization ". Can you advise me what to do, or which is the problem ?...
  10. Fix "Optimization Not Available" in Optimize Drives in Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Fix "Optimization Not Available" in Optimize Drives in Windows: Microsoft's Windows operating system runs maintenance tasks including disk analysis and defragmention regularly on its own. Most Windows users and administrators don't need to run these manually anymore, but there are cases where you'd like to do so. I checked Optimize...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 raid 1 drive optimization not available