Windows 10: optimize drive / optane memory

Discus and support optimize drive / optane memory in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; 16 gig m2 ssd optane memory / 1t HD (spinner) /500gig ssd I was trying to manually optimize the drives and ran into a snag. D: drive optimize... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by thomaseg1, Sep 24, 2019.

1. thomaseg1 Win User

optimize drive / optane memory

16 gig m2 ssd optane memory / 1t HD (spinner) /500gig ssd

I was trying to manually optimize the drives and ran into a snag.

D: drive optimize (trimmed) successfully but c drive says optimize not available.

C is coupled with the optane in as a dynamic drive.

How do I optimize C ?
    Turn off optane and do it or some other way?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

optimize drive / optane memory [​IMG]

:)

thomaseg1, Sep 24, 2019
  2. thomaseg1 Win User

16 gig m2 ssd optane memory / 1t HD (spinner) /500gig ssd

I was trying to manually optimize the drives and ran into a snag.

D: drive optimize (trimmed) successfully but c drive says optimize not available.

C is coupled with the optane in as a dynamic drive.

How do I optimize C ?
    Turn off optane and do it or some other way?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

optimize drive / optane memory [​IMG]

thomaseg1, Sep 24, 2019
  3. optimize drive / optane memory

Yes, you need to turn off Optane through the tray icon, or start menu, Optane utility....this will write cached files back to the HHD, then tell you to re start. Once done C: will be available to defrag as normal...then re enable Optane when done.
    It is done this way because if you manage to force defrag an Optane enabled drive you could end up with file corruption or even a non booting drive.
    It is also best practice to disable Optane to use Macrium etc to image the disk.
    All this info you can get from the Intel support forums, Optane and RST sections.

Pejole2165, Sep 24, 2019
  4. optimize drive / optane memory

The issue with Macrium (other imaging apps are available) is that it cannot backup the Optane module, so you can create images of your accelerated disk without issue, but if you restore to that disk with Optane still enabled the Optane cache and settings will reference files no longer on the disk, or not in the same positions or of different versions.
    This could cause system failure when trying to boot the newly imaged drive.
    Also remember if restoring an image to the drive you need to allow at least 5Mb of unallocated space at the end of the boot drive for Optane to store its settings.
    Macrium will also not image this unallocated space.

Pejole2165, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

1. optimize drive / optane memory - Similar Threads - optimize drive optane

2. Windows Security / Intel Optane Memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security / Intel Optane Memory: I am trying to download the SSD Toolbox program however Windows Security is blocking the Intel Optane Memory.Why is this happening?Kenneth https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-security-intel-optane-memory/e01860d0-a2ae-4031-889f-f12641d75eaf
  3. Optane memory

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Optane memory: Is it recommended to use Intel Memory And Storage tool for SSD or Intel Rapid Storage Technology for Optane drives or does Windows 10 already manage these drives? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optane-memory/8fe6f236-b522-41b3-af90-55343b95541a
  4. Intel Optane memory software

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Intel Optane memory software: I got an error message connected with Intel Optane memory software. It says that Unable to load DLL ' iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll ': The specified module could not be found...
  5. Cloning hard drive on a system with Optane Memory

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning hard drive on a system with Optane Memory: I have a Dell XPS that has 16GB of Optane Memory that is active. If I plan to remove the hard drive after shutting the PC down in order to clone it, do I need to disable the Optane Memory first so whatever is there would be flushed to the hard drive first? From what I've read...
  6. Intel Optane memory question

Intel Optane memory question: I just got a new laptop, hp spectre, upgraded to the intel optane memory 32 gb. I want to check that the upgrade is there, however, when I go search through system information, I find that intel optane was added, but it doesn't say how much memory. I am absolutely NOT tech...
  7. Intel Optane Memory Pinning Error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Intel Optane Memory Pinning Error: Recently I got this error, I don't think i have Optane Memory as I have a Dell XPS 9570. I tried disabling Intel Optane Memory Service but it still pops up. When i go to Intel Rapid Storage Technology it also shows as it being disabled. [ATTACH]...
  8. Optane Memory Ready For Prime Time?

Optane Memory Ready For Prime Time?: I just ordered a HP computer. One of the features is Optane memory. After I placed the order I got to thinking I have never run across this tech before. Started looking over these forums and found very little info. One of the things I looked for was if Macrium Reflect was...
  9. Optane Memory and System Imaging

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Optane Memory and System Imaging: I read that Optane memory combined with a regular hard drive can provide SSD-like performance and large storage capacity. This would be a great thing to have in a new desktop computer, assuming there are not a lot of tradeoffs. One thing I was wondering about was system...
  10. Intel Optane Memory

Intel Optane Memory: I'm waiting for an Intel Optane Memory Module to arrive. In the meantime I'm following up 3 Installation Media Preperation (Recommended Optional Step) in https://www.intel.com/content/dam/su...stallation.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/su...stallation.pdf...