Windows 10: Optimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD

Discus and support Optimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; As a result it won't let me optimize the drive. If this helps I'm running fall creators update (1709) and the hard drive from device manager is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Madpoli, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Madpoli Win User

Optimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD

As a result it won't let me optimize the drive. If this helps I'm running fall creators update (1709) and the hard drive from device manager is specifically "Intel Optane+931GBHDD".

:)

Madpoli, Sep 29, 2018
  2. dopefish9 Win User

Secondary HDD not found by Optimize and Defrag

Hello,

Upgraded to Win10 a few weeks ago. I have a 240G primary SSD (COptimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD :) and 1TB internal secondary HDD (EOptimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD :), plus a 1TB external USB backup drive (JOptimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD :). I wanted to determine why the internal 1TB HDD seems to have some 'missing' space so I opened Optimize Drives.
    But Optimize Drives only lists the SSD (COptimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD :), USB drive (JOptimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD :) and a System Reserved drive. It doesn't list the internal 1TB HDD.

So far my searches have turned up problems where extra drives aren't recognized at all, but mine works fine for everything else (I've moved Libraries there, created system images there, it shows in Explorer, etc.)

Edit: Device Manager indicates no issues with the drive. I've also right-clicked from Explorer > Properties > Tools > Optimize, and the list is still missing this drive.

Can anyone explain this or provide a solution?

Thank you!

Stephen

dopefish9, Sep 29, 2018
  3. scopio Win User
    Win 10 Optimize Drives say I have SSD when in fact it is a HDD

I was curious to see if my C: drive needed defragmenting so I opened Optimize Drives to find that my C: and partition D: all part of the same HDD are labeled as Solid State Drive but I do not have any *Shock. As can be seen from the screenshot The Analyze and Optimize buttons are greyed out. So my question is, is my C: drive being optimized automatically? Why does Optimize Drives says that my C: and D: drives are SSD when in fact they are HDD? *Think

Optimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD [​IMG]

Optimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD [​IMG]

scopio, Sep 29, 2018
  4. isragamer Win User

HDD Optimization problem

Hi, On my Windows 10 system I have an SSD, a reserved for system HDD and another HDD (F) where I store most of my games. Basically automatic weekly optimization is scheduled, but I just checked the hard drive (F) and it showed me 12% fragmentation saying "needs optimization". I run optimization manually, but it still shows me the same 12% of fragmentation and suggesting optimization. Is it a problem with a disk or a bug in Windows optimization?

isragamer, Sep 29, 2018
Thema:

1. Optimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD - Similar Threads - Optimize Drives says

2. I have switched from HDD to SSD in this case i have installed new windows on SDD, not HDD...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I have switched from HDD to SSD in this case i have installed new windows on SDD, not HDD...: I need to diable Bitlocker https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-switched-from-hdd-to-ssd-in-this-case-i/9ffba582-ab73-4588-b294-54561e5357cb
  3. I have windows on SSD and HDD want to SSD for running windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have windows on SSD and HDD want to SSD for running windows.: I have windows 11 and HDD by default. 1 year ago I installed SSD and throughout the year I am using windows on SSD after windows update windows is running on HDD. I want to run windows on SSD....
  4. I have windows on SSD and HDD want to SSD for running windows.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have windows on SSD and HDD want to SSD for running windows.: I have windows 11 and HDD by default. 1 year ago I installed SSD and throughout the year I am using windows on SSD after windows update windows is running on HDD. I want to run windows on SSD....
  5. Why do I have \\?\Volume0cb566... in my Optimize drive ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do I have \\?\Volume0cb566... in my Optimize drive ?: Why do I have \\?\Volume0cb566... in my Optimize drives - Unknown - never run - Optimization not available . How can I delete it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-i-have-volume0cb566-in-my-optimize-drive/3e4c716c-ddfa-49cb-81e2-8398f5a699a2
  6. Win10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer: I heard that defragmenting an SSD is a bad thing, as there is no benifit to it and it just stresses the Flash. but as it seems the drive optimizer doesn't defrag an SSD, which would be good if it would actually correctly detect an SSD. my System has technically 1 SSD. the...
  7. I have a SSD and HDD and the SSD keeps filling up ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I have a SSD and HDD and the SSD keeps filling up ?: I just got an Acer Nitro 5 Model Number: AN515-54-51M5 . I have 1TB HDD and a 128 SSD. Some reason, even when downloading the games to my HDD my SSD still seems to fill up? I have only 2 Gigs left on the SSD.... Only had the laptop a few days, but been downloading games to...
  8. Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help: I have a new HP laptop with Windows 10 1803. It has a 1 TB SATA disk configured for AHCI, no RAID. Intel RST is running with Optane enabled. Component services recognizes it as a hard disk, but Windows optimize says it is a solid state drive. Device manager and RST think it...
  9. Optimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Optimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD: As a result it won't let me optimize the drive. If this helps I'm running fall creators update (1709) and the hard drive from device manager is specifically "Intel Optane+931GBHDD". 118761
  10. Win 10 Optimize Drives say I have SSD when in fact it is a HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 Optimize Drives say I have SSD when in fact it is a HDD: I was curious to see if my C: drive needed defragmenting so I opened Optimize Drives to find that my C: and partition D: all part of the same HDD are labeled as Solid State Drive but I do not have any *Shock. As can be seen from the screenshot The Analyze and Optimize buttons...