Windows 10: Optimize for occasional use?

Discus and support Optimize for occasional use? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a (Virtual Machine) Windows install that I use only very occasionally. About once every two month or so. This means that when I actually have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/bolche17, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Optimize for occasional use?

I have a (Virtual Machine) Windows install that I use only very occasionally. About once every two month or so.

This means that when I actually have to use it, it downloads a ton of updates, scans the entire HD for virus (I use a slow HD because why bother with a fast SSD for something I rarely use?) and is slow to the point of being basically unusable for hours after I start it. 100% CPU and Disk usage for a long time until it finally "settles down" and asks me for a reboot.

The problem is definitely not the VM. I also have several Linux OSes and a Mac OS with the same VM configuration and on the same hardware and they start swiftly even after months without usage.

How do I optimize the OS it for this kind of usage? Any ideas what services I should disable to speed up this first use?

submitted by /u/bolche17
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/bolche17, Sep 29, 2020

2. Disk optimization scheduling in Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• In search select Defragment and optimize drives

• Click on change settings

• In optimization schedule

• In frequency select the options accordingly.
    Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

`

Divya Murugan, Sep 29, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Unable to run disk optimization in windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

• What exactly happens when you try to optimize the drive?

• Are you getting any error message?

• Since when are you facing this issue?

I suggest you to use Administrator account to perform Optimization and check if it helps.

I suggest you to follow the steps below.

• Go to Search, type services.msc and hit Enter

• Make sure that following services are set to Automatic:

• Remote Procedure Call (RPC).

• DCOM Server Process Launcher.

• RPC Endpoint Mapper.

And also refer the link below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Thanks and Regards.

Arun B J, Sep 29, 2020
  4. Optimize for occasional use?

optimization not available

Hi Brock,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10 Insider Preview.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are glad to assist you.

I suggest you to start the Optimize drives Service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • Search for Optimize drives Service.
    • Double click on Optimize drives Service and click on
      Start
      button.
    • Click on the dropdown list and set the Startup type to Automatic.

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on Windows 10 help & how-to.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/support

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Sep 29, 2020
Thema:

Optimize for occasional use?

1. Optimize for occasional use? - Similar Threads - Optimize occasional

2. disk optimizer has greyed out analyze

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disk optimizer has greyed out analyze: i am wondering if this is a new thing for windows as i know previous versions prior to windows 10 not noticing this in windows 11 home in the disk optimizer the analyze option is greyed out and has been nice thing to have to determine if you need to defrag or not minus large...
  3. disk optimizer has greyed out analyze

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disk optimizer has greyed out analyze: i am wondering if this is a new thing for windows as i know previous versions prior to windows 10 not noticing this in windows 11 home in the disk optimizer the analyze option is greyed out and has been nice thing to have to determine if you need to defrag or not minus large...
  4. I stupidly optimized the recovery drive in Defragment. Am I good? Is this a cause for concern?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I stupidly optimized the recovery drive in Defragment. Am I good? Is this a cause for concern?: So, I looked at my drives and said "oh, this isn't trimmed!" and optimized it. Now my PC is a bit funky and I'm worried. Am I good? What can I do to fix this without messing up my PC?...
  5. I stupidly optimized the recovery drive in Defragment. Am I good? Is this a cause for concern?

I stupidly optimized the recovery drive in Defragment. Am I good? Is this a cause for concern?: So, I looked at my drives and said "oh, this isn't trimmed!" and optimized it. Now my PC is a bit funky and I'm worried. Am I good? What can I do to fix this without messing up my PC?...
  6. Struggling to use internet after using OMEN gaming hub Optimizer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Struggling to use internet after using OMEN gaming hub Optimizer.: Hello. I recently purchased a new pc, and I decided to install Omen gaming hub on it as I used it on my laptop which was an Hp laptop, and I really liked how easy and effective it was to use. I've tried ccleaner, but I didn't like it, and preferred to use Omen hub as it was...
  7. Struggling to use internet after using OMEN gaming hub Optimizer.

Struggling to use internet after using OMEN gaming hub Optimizer.: Hello. I recently purchased a new pc, and I decided to install Omen gaming hub on it as I used it on my laptop which was an Hp laptop, and I really liked how easy and effective it was to use. I've tried ccleaner, but I didn't like it, and preferred to use Omen hub as it was...
  8. Is it Safe to Disable the Delivery Optimization Service?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it Safe to Disable the Delivery Optimization Service?: I have a Windows 10 PC and a Windows 11 laptop; every now and again, I notice this, but today especially, Delivery Optimization seems to be making non-stop connections to my laptop on Port 7680 I know Delivery Optimization is largely related to Windows Updates, but I would...
  9. Is it Safe to Disable the Delivery Optimization Service?

Is it Safe to Disable the Delivery Optimization Service?: I have a Windows 10 PC and a Windows 11 laptop; every now and again, I notice this, but today especially, Delivery Optimization seems to be making non-stop connections to my laptop on Port 7680 I know Delivery Optimization is largely related to Windows Updates, but I would...
  10. Is it Safe to Disable the Delivery Optimization Service?

in Windows 10 Customization