Windows 10: Optimizing USB disk shared via NAS

Discus and support Optimizing USB disk shared via NAS in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've got a 1.5 TB Samsung Story Station Plus Connected to a Netgear Readynas Ultra 4 using USB 2 (606 GB used, some 129K files in 9600 folders). It is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by normor, Nov 11, 2018.

1. normor Win User

Optimizing USB disk shared via NAS

I've got a 1.5 TB Samsung Story Station Plus Connected to a Netgear Readynas Ultra 4 using USB 2 (606 GB used, some 129K files in 9600 folders). It is powered by external PS. The drive is shared using Netgear's software.

After adding quite a lot of new files to the drive the responce has become rather slow specially when changing folders on root level. I've read somewhere that it's not possible to optimize a network drive using the Windows utility. Anybody knows if there is a clue?

Is it for instance possible to power down the NAS, detach the drive, attach it to a USB port on another computer, run optimizing and the reconnect it to the NAS without loosing anyting on it?

Thanks!

:)

normor, Nov 11, 2018

2. Disk optimization scheduling in Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• In search select Defragment and optimize drives

• Click on change settings

• In optimization schedule

• In frequency select the options accordingly.
    Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

`

Divya Murugan, Nov 11, 2018
  3. michael Win User
    Please suggest Best 4TB NAS External Hard Disk

Hi Guys,

Please suggest Best 4TB NAS External Hard Disk.

There are only two WD or Segate

What I want:-

1.USB 3.0
    2.LAN port
    3.Torrent client
    4.DLNA streaming

Please suggest if you have any experiences

Thanks.

michael, Nov 11, 2018
  4. DaveM121 Win User

disk optimizing

Hi fussy063, the System Reserved Partition does not need to be optimized, it is managed and maintained by Windows.

If you are using Norton's to optimize your disk(s), remove that partition from the list of partitions to be optimized and everything will be Okay.

DaveM121, Nov 11, 2018
Thema:

1. Optimizing USB disk shared via NAS - Similar Threads - Optimizing USB disk

2. Using KODI to share media on NAS.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using KODI to share media on NAS.: When right-click a file in Explorer and choose play, it downloads the file then plays. Used to just play it from the NAS. Cannot figure it out. Any suggestions?...
  3. Disk optimization setting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk optimization setting: How to reset my Disk optimization setting to default.. My laptop working to slow and told me that's a way to make it works more faster. submitted by /u/alimuftah [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kfmhbk/disk_optimization_setting/
  4. optimize disk error

in Windows 10 Customization
    optimize disk error: any fix ? i tried sfc /scannow and dism restore health.... and still have the problem [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optimize-disk-error/9b892a66-aaef-4aee-a05c-c9181914b3c6
  5. optimize disk error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    optimize disk error: [ATTACH] plz help i tried this sfc /scannow and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth but still have this problem any fix ? note: i disabled this [ATTACH]...
  6. Windows 10 can't access NAS disk via hostname

Windows 10 can't access NAS disk via hostname: Hello, I have a Seagate NAS drive. it used working good. Couple weeks ago , one of Windows 10 PC can't access it anymore. I typed \\seagate in explorer, and returns can't find computer. if I use ip installed hostname, no issue. My another windows 10 PC and Apple TV don't...
  7. NAS shares unavailable in programs

NAS shares unavailable in programs: Recently I have been having problems with mapped NAS shares on my network not being visible in programs. I first noticed it when I was trying to set up a backup schedule. I tried several backup programs, including SyncbackPro, which I have used for many years without any...
  8. XP to NAS / SAMBA shares

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    XP to NAS / SAMBA shares: Hi folks If you have XP VM's and you want to access SAMBA type shares then you'll need to add these 2 lines in the global section of the samba.conf file. (Note on the NAS / SAMBA server file. There's nothing extra to do on the XP system. (The NAS can usually by default...
  9. Windows disk defragmenting and optimizing!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows disk defragmenting and optimizing!: I really think MS should come up with a better way to put these two Disk Defragmenting and Optimizing into they're own seperate location that is meant for the different drive that users have on they're computer like put the Disk Defragmantation in the Hard disk drive location...
  10. More storage - NAS or enclosure via USB

in Windows 10 Support
    More storage - NAS or enclosure via USB: Hi there I'm needing more HDD storage. Can't decide whether dedicated NAS storage -- expensive -- even 2 bay (empty no HDD supplied) costs around 150 - 200 USD or use a much cheaper external storage box with SATA/ USB3 connectors. I have 2 X spare USB3 connectors on...