Windows 10: Optimum OS partition size?

Discus and support Optimum OS partition size? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a two-years old Dell XPS 8930. It came with a 2TB hard drive. I 1.5TB and 1TB hard drives from its predecessor home build. I'm awaiting delivery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RebDovid, Apr 10, 2020.

1. RebDovid Win User

Optimum OS partition size?

I have a two-years old Dell XPS 8930. It came with a 2TB hard drive. I 1.5TB and 1TB hard drives from its predecessor home build. I'm awaiting delivery of a 1TB WD SN550 NVMe SSD drive, on which I intend to do a clean install of Windows 10. I'll then use the 2TB hard drive for storage. In my current set-up, having relocated various user folders from the C: drive to the other two hard drives, only about 450GB of the 2TB boot drive are in use.

My question, therefore, is what to do about the new 1TB SSD? What are the reasons for and against keeping it as a single "C:" drive vs. partitioning it into more than one logical drive? And if I do partition, what's the optimum size for the C: drive containing Windows 10?

TIA

P.S. If it matters to this question, my current Windows version number is 1903. Having just today created the installation USB flash drive, I expect that it's version 1903 that will be installed on the new SSD.

P.P.S. I understand that doing a clean install will necessitate reinstalling programs. And, I've collected both installation programs and web links, as well as license numbers; I also today downloaded drivers from Dell. If there's a strong reason for cloning the existing hard drive, I'm open to reason.

:)

RebDovid, Apr 10, 2020
  2. fredde Win User

Partition Sizes?

My new system has 2 150 g Raptors in Raid0. I normally keep the O/S on one partition, installed applications on another, and my paging file on another partition. With a volume size of 300 gigs, what would you suggest as far as partition sizes are concerned?

Thank-You. *Smile Optimum OS partition size? :)*Smile Optimum OS partition size? :)

fredde, Apr 10, 2020
  3. partition size

^^ I would like to think that the gentleman is sufficiently intelligent to "interpret" the recommendations to suit his needs. He clearly has "other files" he wants to separate from the OS. The illustration is a reminder that more than two partitions can serve a purpose for file and directory management AND aid backup to equally sized HDDs.

Who cares what "type" of data is he wants to manage. He can apply the pricinples as he choses. *Wink Optimum OS partition size? ;)

Perhaps he archives interesting threads and comments from TPU moderators. I'd suggest he follows your suggestion of putting those in folders. The windows\temp directory for example. *Smile Optimum OS partition size? :)

lemonadesoda, Apr 10, 2020
  4. Optimum OS partition size?

Partition Sizes?

Depends on how much you need for each. For the one O/S....you should be looking at 15 GB (if using this partition to store things like documents, movies, pics...120 or more GB), page file...3-4 GB (since you only have 1 GB of ram), then the rest for installed applications.

kwchang007, Apr 10, 2020
Thema:

Optimum OS partition size?

1. Optimum OS partition size? - Similar Threads - Optimum partition size

2. What is the optimum rar file size for archiving on Windows 10 and later?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the optimum rar file size for archiving on Windows 10 and later?: Is there an optimum size for a rar file on a Windows OS?While my question is about the .rar compression which is not a Microsoft product, it is about using it on Windows 10 and any later versions I may update to. My archives will always be created, stored and, when needed,...
  3. Optimum desk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Optimum desk: How do I stop Optimum Desk from truing to install? I don't want it and it is causing problems with streaming and other video calls. It is trying to install at least 20 times per minute. I have read that it is 58% spyware for other products and companies....
  4. "Dynamic" Partition Sizes?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Dynamic" Partition Sizes?: Hi! I'm installing some Steam games on my laptop and then I realized that, because they are all in my C drive, they are all being backed up. I don't need this, for I can just download them again if something were to happen. They would also take up a ton of space on my NAS...
  5. Partition size

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Partition size: Hi so i was trying to dual boot ubuntu and windows and i tried to create a new partition for ubuntu but the maximum size for the partition is 134mb and i tried typing in the number of 60gb but it maxed out at 134 so i dont know what to do and if anyone has any help please...
  6. Storage partition sizes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage partition sizes: Available data: Partition C: Recovery 14.6 GB used 63.7 MB free. Partition E: OS 71.3 GB used 146 GB Free Problem. I can't add any new apps presumably because of the full C: I recently had a problem being unable to boot up the new Windows 10 with its latest updates. This...
  7. Not Optimum Mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not Optimum Mode: Hi guys my monitor has been displaying "Not optimum mode" recommending 1920x1080 box floating, since 23 dec. I wss playing league of legends and suddenly screen turned black and this happened. Idk what to do now, every time i turn on my pc it shows this, and wont load at...
  8. Increasing Partition Size

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Increasing Partition Size: I have a 1 Terabyte hard drive that contains 2 partitions. C: which has 906 GB free space and D: which has 7.65 GB free space. I want to extend D:. I shunk C: 200 GB and ended up with a third partition and found no way to extend d: into this free space. How do I extend...
  9. Increase partition size

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Increase partition size: Had 8.1 then downloaded 10, unfortunately when I originally installed 8.1 I made my C partition too small and it's almost full all the time. Is there anyway to increase the size? Also I want to reset my PC right now since it's gotten extremely sluggish for some odd...
  10. sizes of OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sizes of OS: My Windows 7 pro 64-bit eats up about 27G. My Windows 10 64-bit eats up about 41G. AND I don't have everything on it. Don't understand the huge difference. 2986