Windows 10: option to Boot into Windows 7 or 10

Discus and support option to Boot into Windows 7 or 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 Pro (x86) on my system as Dual Boot with Windows 7 which I already had. I installed by burning the ISO on a USB drive using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by zas17, Aug 3, 2015.

1. zas17 Win User

option to Boot into Windows 7 or 10

I installed Windows 10 Pro (x86) on my system as Dual Boot with Windows 7 which I already had. I installed by burning the ISO on a USB drive using Rufus. Windows 10 was installed in Partition I: on my second HDD. It was a fresh partition that was formatted as NTFS and had 29.2 GB.
    The installation worked just fine, and I was able to use Windows 10. But when I restarted (after removing the USB drive) it took me straight to Windows 10 without showing the option to Boot into Windows 7 or 10. Windows 7 was still there in the HDD partition. I used msconfig in run and only found Windows 10 under Boot tab.
    Then I tried using the USB again for repair, and there I found the option to continue with Windows 7, so with the hope of getting back Windows 7 I booted into Windows 7. Everything worked from that point but I was no longer able to boot into Windows 10. Nothing I tried worked, and there was still no Boot menu. Using msconfig again on Win7 showed only Windows 7. So later I deleted the Volume containing W10 and formatted it as new.
    I want to install it again so now I want solutions on what to do to avoid this problem. Please help ??

:)

zas17, Aug 3, 2015

2. Windows XP boot option gone after Windows 10 upgrade.

I had Windows 7 and Windows XP installed on two different partitions on 1 hard drive. On boot I got the option if I want Windows XP or 7 to boot. After I upgraded my Windows 7 with Windows 10 those options are gone. I only get the option of booting Windows
    10 or and earlier windows version. Every time I chose the earlier windows version option the computer just restarts. How do I restore my Windows XP boot option?

Juan_Olivier, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Unable to boot into Windows 10, Unable to repair or reset

Use whichever method works to
    Access Advanced Startup Options
    in Windows 8 or 10
    . If none of the other methods work it may be necessary to
    createa
    Recovery driveor
    Create
    Windows 10 Installation Media
    on another PC to boot using the
    BIOS Boot Menu Key,choose
    the boot device as a UEFI device if offered, then on second screen choose Repair Your Computer

In the Advanced Startup options try (in this order) automated Startup Repair, System restore, then if necessary from Startup Settings try to get into Safe Mode with Networking,
    or lastly Safe Mode.

From Safe Mode w/Networking work through the
    Windows 10 Install Integrity Checklist.

If Safe Mode doesn’twork or
    help stabilize things
    then return to
    Advanced
    Startup Options in Windows 8 or 10. Next tryCommand
    Prompt  torun Checklist repair commands including
    sfc/scannow, to see if
    it will repair and start, or do a Reset Windows 10.

Better yet do the vastly superior
    Clean Install Windows 10
    following the steps in the link to delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space to get it cleanest.  After install reactivate with your Product Key, automatically from embedded Product Key
    if a factory install,  or
    if free Upgrade has already activated.
    Activation in Windows 10 - Windows
    Help

At any time you
    can
    Rescue
    Files when Windows Won’t Start
    , use a Linux disk, or
    Paragon
    Rescue Kit Free Edition
    File Recovery Wizard to copy files to USB flash stick or an external or another hard drive. 

If these fail you can try to run Factory Recovery from
    it’shot key at boot; find yours by googling the “PC make/model + Run Factory Recovery.”  
    Factory Recovery methods

Feel free to ask back any questions and keep us posted on how it goes. 

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 3, 2015
  4. craarc Win User

Have you tried with a multi boot program like easy BCD from neosmart i have used it a lot on multi boot systems its free!

craarc, Aug 3, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Have you ever completed an upgrade to Windows 10 on this computer? If not, a clean install will not activate. You must upgrade and activate first or the Win 10 will not active.

The only way around this is to buy a retail version for $109 to $199.

Ztruker, Aug 3, 2015
  6. zas17 Win User
    Could you please post instructions on doing this ? I've heard of EasyBCD and even installed it after the problem but didn't know how to use it.

zas17, Aug 3, 2015
  7. zas17 Win User
    OK, during the process I skipped activation because I was using Windows 7 keys and it didn't work (seems like I need to upgrade it first).

But shouldn't it at least let me access the other OS without activation, or does activation have something to do with the Dual Boot ?

zas17, Aug 3, 2015
  8. topgundcp Win User

You don't need to use easy BCD. Go to disk management and note the drive letter of Windows 7. Open the Admin command prompt then type:
    bcdboot X:\Windows
    Where X is the drive letter of Windows 7.

topgundcp, Aug 3, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Aug 3, 2015
  10. zas17 Win User
    Should I do this from Windows 10 (after installation) or from Windows 7 (after using the USB to access Win7) ??

zas17, Aug 3, 2015
  11. zas17 Win User
    Thank You. But should I run EasyBCD on Windows after installing it, or on Windows 7 after getting access to it using the USB ? Also shouldn't I change the Type on the Add Entry section.

zas17, Aug 3, 2015
  12. craarc Win User
    hi I thought that you had it activated but couldn't choose between either OS you had if that is the case then Easy Bcd will do the job for instructions as mentioned before best bet is look on the neosmart forum I guess. im not an expert in using it and I just go there myself if I need anything. in the past for multi booting. I have also today come across this easyrecovery essentials for win10 its also free right now and will work with any version of windows I believe, so I guess it may help with any installs and problems also from neosmart. btw I have no connection with them ive only just joined here and looked on neosmart again recently in anticipation of trying WIN10 hope something in this helps

craarc, Aug 3, 2015
  13. topgundcp Win User

Either way will work but if you do it from 7 then you'll get a GUI interface. If you do from 10 then you'll get the plain old text interface.

topgundcp, Aug 3, 2015
  14. hawkman Win User
    YOU CAN ONLY HAVE 1 OS activated on a single PC, 1 key = one OS
    Your going to have to choose 7 or 10.

Roy

hawkman, Aug 3, 2015
  15. tracit99 Win User
    This is simply untrue. I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, two partitions of Windows 8.1 Pro S14 and two partitions of Windows 10 Pro and each and every one are activated.

tracit99, Aug 3, 2015
Thema:

1. option to Boot into Windows 7 or 10 - Similar Threads - option Boot

2. Dual boot option not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot option not showing: Have Windows 7 and installed now istalled windows 10 on seperate drive but DUAL BOOT Option not showing help pleaseBoth drives show in BIOS and if changed in BIOS can boot to each OS But...I need option on start up of selecting the OS.Asus Mobo windows 7 on 500gb SSD and...
  3. Dual boot option not showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual boot option not showing: Have Windows 7 and installed now istalled windows 10 on seperate drive but DUAL BOOT Option not showing help pleaseBoth drives show in BIOS and if changed in BIOS can boot to each OS But...I need option on start up of selecting the OS.Asus Mobo windows 7 on 500gb SSD and...
  4. Dual boot option not showing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. When I update to W11 and activate the Secure Boot option, the screen stays like this, and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I update to W11 and activate the Secure Boot option, the screen stays like this, and...: This is the screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-update-to-w11-and-activate-the-secure-boot/cab4c3b1-5f32-4023-9383-d86619931229
  6. When I update to W11 and activate the Secure Boot option, the screen stays like this, and...

When I update to W11 and activate the Secure Boot option, the screen stays like this, and...: This is the screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-update-to-w11-and-activate-the-secure-boot/cab4c3b1-5f32-4023-9383-d86619931229
  7. I have blue screen error of unmountable boot volme BDOS and I can't open advanced options ,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have blue screen error of unmountable boot volme BDOS and I can't open advanced options ,: I tried pressing all fn keys , delete key , esc key , but the advanced recovery screen not opens , how can I open advanced options screen , only f2 and f12 works , f2 opens bios setting setup utility and f12 opens a screen named boot manager as it's heading...
  8. I have blue screen error of unmountable boot volme BDOS and I can't open advanced options ,

I have blue screen error of unmountable boot volme BDOS and I can't open advanced options ,: I tried pressing all fn keys , delete key , esc key , but the advanced recovery screen not opens , how can I open advanced options screen , only f2 and f12 works , f2 opens bios setting setup utility and f12 opens a screen named boot manager as it's heading...
  9. Why won't my Cloned disk show up in the Booting priority options while original options are...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't my Cloned disk show up in the Booting priority options while original options are...: I need help with cloning.I have a Dell G3 15 3590 with 2 Physical Disks - M2 PCI 128 GB and a SATA 1 TB. Both GPTMy OS is installed on the 128GB drive and is filling up causing my overall performance to slow down. I tried cloning the 128GB onto the 1TB using Macrium Reflect....
  10. Why won't my Cloned disk show up in the Booting priority options while original options are...

Why won't my Cloned disk show up in the Booting priority options while original options are...: I need help with cloning.I have a Dell G3 15 3590 with 2 Physical Disks - M2 PCI 128 GB and a SATA 1 TB. Both GPTMy OS is installed on the 128GB drive and is filling up causing my overall performance to slow down. I tried cloning the 128GB onto the 1TB using Macrium Reflect....