Windows 10: Option to change Network from Public to Private missing in Windows 10

Discus and support Option to change Network from Public to Private missing in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] When you configure the Network on Windows 10 computer, you can choose to make it Public or Private. However, if the option to change the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Nov 21, 2018.

1. WinClub New Member

Option to change Network from Public to Private missing in Windows 10

WinClub, Nov 21, 2018

2. Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Nov 21, 2018
  3. Changing Public to Private Networks and Vice versa

Yes. I can change the sharing options on the "Advanced sharing settings" dialog but that (unless I'm missing something) won't change the overall network setting from private to public or public to private.

I've found only two options (as the network profile toggle buttons) aren't present on any of my computers (Lenovo T580, 460, and 430)

Option 1

Opening PowerShell with administrative privileges

1. Run the following command: Get-NetConnectionProfile
    2. See the network name you want to change its type and run the following command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -Name [name] -NetworkCategory
      Public

3. Where [name] is the name of my network and then change the -NetworkCategory switch value to Public or Private.
    Option 2

1. Run –> secpol.msc

2. Select Network List Manager Policies. This will list all the networks in the right hand pane.

3. Double click your desired network, go to Network Location tab.

4. Change the Network location type to either Not configured, private or public.

Note Can do this for all the connected networks, double click All Networks instead of your desired network.

Option to change Network from Public to Private missing in Windows 10 19d0f992-e698-4793-8c38-973b219f9944?upload=true.jpg

JeffReichman, Nov 21, 2018
  4. Option to change Network from Public to Private missing in Windows 10

Changing Network from Public to Private

To use these steps to set a network to public or private, your PC must be running Windows 10 Version 1709.

To see which version of Windows 10 your device is currently running, select Start, then select Settings > System > About

To change a Wi-Fi network to public or private:

- Select Start, then select Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi

- Select Manage known networks, select the network you want to change, and then > select Properties.

- Under Network profile, select Public or Private.

Taken from:

Make a Wi-Fi network public or private in Windows 10

Gianni1962, Nov 21, 2018
Thema:

Option to change Network from Public to Private missing in Windows 10

1. Option to change Network from Public to Private missing in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Option change Network

2. Cannot change network from public to private

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot change network from public to private: hello greetings from cloudy Scotland! I would like to ask community for help with network policy. I want to keep all PCs in private net but every time I reset PCs network changes from private to public. I tried to change network from public to private using admin account...
  3. No option to change from public to private network in settings or anywhere!

No option to change from public to private network in settings or anywhere!: Hi there, I am on the latest build of windows 10, I have not yet put any third party security onto the system so just have windows defender etc. I want to change my network from public to private but the option to do so in settings is not there, there is nothing except for...
  4. Changing Network Status from public to private

Changing Network Status from public to private: How do I change a network status from public to private in windows 10 version 1803? * Moved from Community Participation Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-network-status-from-public-to-private/ca5e16a5-28ca-407a-be65-3d7e15a905c2
  5. Changing from public to private network in Windows 10

Changing from public to private network in Windows 10: I have a new Modem and a Router from my provider .router haS 4 ethernet port . first port connected to my desktop and it shows I'm on Public Network , my second port connected to my laptop and it shows I'm on Private Network . I don't know why my desktop is on Public and...
  6. Network changed from Private to Public

Network changed from Private to Public: I have windows 10 version 1803 now my wifi network connection shows public not private so I can not get to the internet. HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-changed-from-private-to-public/503943f0-a5e9-483e-b1ef-a964d4e99178
  7. The option for changing network from public to private is no longer available in Window10...

The option for changing network from public to private is no longer available in Window10...: I was trying to change my home wifi network property from public to private so that network discovery would show other devices. The windows10 1803 17134.228 (my wife's laptop) still has the public and private options in the network's property menu. However, mine had been...
  8. Option to change network from Public to Private missing

Option to change network from Public to Private missing: I've spent the past several hours trying to figure out how to change my network from Public to Private, but every single source I find is clearly outdated. I've attempted to do this on both a wifi connection on my laptop as well as a wired connection on my brand new desktop,...
  9. change network location from public to private

change network location from public to private: Hi guys I am running a laptop with windows 10 , so how do I change the network profile from public to private . thanks 86368
  10. Change Network from Public to Private

Change Network from Public to Private: So I have Windows 10 up and running...How do I change my home Wi-Fi from Public networks to Private? I also want to join my homegroup however cannot seem to figure it out.... Thanks 12023

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change the Network from Public to Private missing in Windows 10 Settings

2. windows 10 network missing public private

3. windows 10 1809 missing public private