Windows 10: option to set default program for opening pdf files does not appear

Discus and support option to set default program for opening pdf files does not appear in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Edge was repeatedly resetting my default browser from Chrome to itself. Now that problem has gone away after a lot of "Set chrome as default... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Kunal B_070, Mar 21, 2023.

1. option to set default program for opening pdf files does not appear

Edge was repeatedly resetting my default browser from Chrome to itself. Now that problem has gone away after a lot of "Set chrome as default browser"Now I can't assign a default program to open pdf files for me.When I click on default apps : the "pdf" option does not appearhow can I set a program to always open my pdf files without being asked to choose everytime?Windows11 user

:)

Kunal B_070, Mar 21, 2023
  2. Mala_S Win User

Not able to set default opening app to Adobe PDF 8.1 on pdf files

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

1. Which update was installed on the computer?

There are few reasons that can be considered as to why you are having issues with preferred default applications on the device. It can be because of an update that was installed on the computer. Kindly follow the below steps and
    make the necessary changes to resolve the issue.

Step 1: Change default apps through control Panel.

• Open Control Panel by typing Control Panel in Start menu and then press
      Enter key.
    • Change the Control Panel View by to Small icons. Click
      Default Programs to open Default Programs window.
    • Select the first option- Set your default programs.
    • In the left-pane, select your web browser or any other program that you want to set as your default program.
    • Once you select a program or app, you will see
      Set this program as default
      option on the right-side. Click set this program as default option to set it as default.

Step 2: To choose default apps by File type in Settings.

• Open Settings > Click on
      Apps
      > Select Default apps from the left pane.
    • Click on Choose default apps by file type option from the bottom of the right pane.
    • Click on Choose a default option and choose an app to always open the file type with by default.

Additional Information: You may have to go through the article on

Make Acrobat or Reader the default owner of PDF files on Windows 10

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Mala.S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Mala_S, Mar 21, 2023
  3. microsoft print to pdf files will not open after saving

We suggest that you save the PDF files on your device and check if the issue persists. You may also want to associate the PDF files to Microsoft Edge as the default program to make sure that you have a default application that will open all of your PDF files.
    Here are the steps:

• Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Select the .pdf file type and then click the Change program button on the upper right of the
      Set Associations window.
    • Choose Microsoft Edge and then click OK.
    Let us know how it goes.

Jamille Nar, Mar 21, 2023
  4. LemP Win User

option to set default program for opening pdf files does not appear

How to change the default program that opens PDF files (Windows 7)

The easiest way is to install a program that opens PDF files and during the installation select the option to use that program.

If you already have installed the program that you want to use to open PDF files, just right-click on any PDF file and select "Open with > Choose default program..." Then select your program from the list, make sure the box at the lower left is checked
    to "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" and then click OK.

Thema:

option to set default program for opening pdf files does not appear

1. option to set default program for opening pdf files does not appear - Similar Threads - option set default

2. option to set default program for opening pdf files does not appear

in Windows 10 Gaming
    option to set default program for opening pdf files does not appear: Edge was repeatedly resetting my default browser from Chrome to itself. Now that problem has gone away after a lot of "Set chrome as default browser"Now I can't assign a default program to open pdf files for me.When I click on default apps : the "pdf" option does not...
  3. Windows is resetting default programs for .pdf files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows is resetting default programs for .pdf files: Windows is resetting default programs for .pdf files to edge everytime I open a pdf with a adobe program.My pdf program is Foxit and I really want that windows keeps the settings I change....
  4. Windows is resetting default programs for .pdf files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows is resetting default programs for .pdf files: Windows is resetting default programs for .pdf files to edge everytime I open a pdf with a adobe program.My pdf program is Foxit and I really want that windows keeps the settings I change....
  5. Windows is resetting default programs for .pdf files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Program does not appear in default app list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program does not appear in default app list: Hi, I need to use an app called Neoconnect+ to open Tel:0102030405 links that I click in browser.Currently it is set to use Edge and does a lot of nothing.When I go change the default app in settings, it does not show Neoconnect in the list and the only option is the win...
  7. "Choose Defaults by file type" no .pdf option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Choose Defaults by file type" no .pdf option: Hey, got Acrobat installed but cant set it as default app to open pdf files.i have been in setting- default - "Choose Defaults by file type" ..., but there is no .pdf extension only .pdfxml right click on pdf file ---- NO OPTION TO CHANGE DEFAULT PROGRAMRight click pdf file -...
  8. "Choose Defaults by file type" no .pdf option

"Choose Defaults by file type" no .pdf option: Hey, got Acrobat installed but cant set it as default app to open pdf files.i have been in setting- default - "Choose Defaults by file type" ..., but there is no .pdf extension only .pdfxml right click on pdf file ---- NO OPTION TO CHANGE DEFAULT PROGRAMRight click pdf file -...
  9. .pdf files default program keeps changing

in Windows 10 Customization
    .pdf files default program keeps changing: Hello, I am trying to have my Adobe 9.0 to be my default program for .pdf files. I have tried right clicking on the file in file explorer, clicking open with, and choosing Adobe 9.0 and selecting set as default app. However, once I go back to the file explorer and click on...
  10. Not able to set default opening app to Adobe PDF 8.1 on pdf files

Not able to set default opening app to Adobe PDF 8.1 on pdf files: Last update of Windows 10 changed all my .pdf default to open with MS Edge. I do not want to use MS Edge, because I open .pdf documents from inside applications and MS Edge is not a full-fledged .pdf editor. With Edge, you cannot add pages, combine pages and and add...