Windows 10: Option to Setup Fingerprint Without PIN Windows Hello

Discus and support Option to Setup Fingerprint Without PIN Windows Hello in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I just got a new laptop that has a fingerprint sensor... I added my fingerprint, but then Windows Hello asked me to add a PIN. I closed the dialog... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Peekofwar, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Peekofwar Win User

Option to Setup Fingerprint Without PIN Windows Hello

I just got a new laptop that has a fingerprint sensor... I added my fingerprint, but then Windows Hello asked me to add a PIN. I closed the dialog since I don't want a PIN as that is less secure than my password on my local user account. After this, I locked the computer and attempted to use the fingerprint scanner to no success.Why is a PIN required to enable a fingerprint scanner? This makes no sense to me.For reference, the OS version is Windows 11 Pro.

:)

Peekofwar, Jul 5, 2022

2. Windows Hello fingerprint and PIN setup crashes

Hey guys.

I got a new Lenovo X1 Yoga laptop with a fingerprint scanner, but for some reason Windows Hello won't set up. It worked initially, but I've had to do a few clean installs due to other problems and now it just
    doesn't function at all.

I click on set-up fingerprint. I then enter the fingerprint, and it asks for my windows password before asking me to setup a PIN code. When I enter the PIN code and press 'OK' nothing happens at all. I also
    tried try to do it on a fresh install of windows and it just says 'there was an error creating a pin code.'

I've looked everywhere for an answer to this, but can't find one. However, if I want to setup just a PIN without setting up the fingerprint it will let me. If I setup the PIN first and then go to setup fingerprint
    it wo't even show the fingerprint scanner after it asks for my PIN for confirmation.

Any suggestions or help are much appreciated! (I found that many people have this exact same problem with no solution yet)

Specs

Windows 10

i7, 8 GB RAM, etc..

Carlos A Mora, Jul 5, 2022
  3. Billy'M Win User
    Windows Hello fingerprint and PIN setup crashes

Thanks for the tip. For clarity if others have this issue steps to resolve were as follows:

1. Remove old PIN and finger print from sign in settings

2. From BIOS change security chip from TPM to Intel PTY

3. From bios erase fingerprint data

4. Setup new pin and fingerprint from wondows hello, it is now working!

Billy'M, Jul 5, 2022
  4. Billy'M Win User

Windows Hello fingerprint and PIN setup crashes

Hi I have the same laptop model and problem as the original poster.

Initially I had fingerprint sign in working great. One day while in tablet mode I changed sign in method to PIN. Next time I tried to do fingerprint sign in I kept getting a "sorry, PIN is required" message.

I tried removing my fingerprint from windows hello settings and tried to set it back up again, but at this point I have the same issue as OP. That is if my PIN is set and I try to add a fingerprint then after entering my PIN the setup doesn't proceed.

If I remove my PIN and try fingerprint setup it appears to work, goes through all the steps but after recording a fingerprint and setting the PIN, it appears none of the changes are saved in settings.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers for the fingerprint scanner.

I have tried resetting scanner data from the BIOS.

I have tried manually setting group policy permissions on biometric login to enable.

I have tried creating a new profile.

I have tried running System File Checker to repair corrupted files.

The issues persists... any help greatly appreciated!

Billy'M, Jul 5, 2022
Thema:

1. Option to Setup Fingerprint Without PIN Windows Hello - Similar Threads - Option Setup Fingerprint

2. Unable to setup Windows hello Fingerprint. Keeps asking for pin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to setup Windows hello Fingerprint. Keeps asking for pin: Trying to setup fingerprint access. However, It keeps sending me in a loop asking for Windows Hello Pin. I type the PIN nothing happens. I used to have Windows PIN working. I needed to reset it after a MB replacement. I redownloaded all the drivers Tried SFC Re-installed...
  3. How to pin shortcut to Windows Hello Fingerprint setup on desktop?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to pin shortcut to Windows Hello Fingerprint setup on desktop?: Hello,I need to re-enroll my Windows Hello Fingerprint settings frequently about once a week or so. Could someone please advise me how to create a shortcut to the Windows Hello Fingerprint Sign-in Options page on my desktop?Thank you very much!Oliver Barrett...
  4. How to pin shortcut to Windows Hello Fingerprint setup on desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to pin shortcut to Windows Hello Fingerprint setup on desktop?: Hello,I need to re-enroll my Windows Hello Fingerprint settings frequently about once a week or so. Could someone please advise me how to create a shortcut to the Windows Hello Fingerprint Sign-in Options page on my desktop?Thank you very much!Oliver Barrett...
  5. How to pin shortcut to Windows Hello Fingerprint setup on desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows Hello fingerprint setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Hello fingerprint setup: When I go to Settings > Accounts > Sign in options and try to set up fingerprint recognition, it says "Sorry, something went wrong." and asks me to go through the setup again. I am running Windows 11 22H2....
  7. Windows Hello fingerprint setup

Windows Hello fingerprint setup: When I go to Settings > Accounts > Sign in options and try to set up fingerprint recognition, it says "Sorry, something went wrong." and asks me to go through the setup again. I am running Windows 11 22H2....
  8. Option to Setup Fingerprint Without PIN Windows Hello

Option to Setup Fingerprint Without PIN Windows Hello: I just got a new laptop that has a fingerprint sensor... I added my fingerprint, but then Windows Hello asked me to add a PIN. I closed the dialog since I don't want a PIN as that is less secure than my password on my local user account. After this, I locked the computer and...
  9. Windows Hello Fingerprint Setup

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello Fingerprint Setup: I recently got a new acer aspire 7 laptop with inbuilt fingerprint scanner in the trackpad And have been using it for 4 months now After updating to 20H2 update and signing in to my school provided microsoft account I dont seem to be able to use the fingerprint option. It...
  10. FingerPrint - Without Windows Hello PIN

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    FingerPrint - Without Windows Hello PIN: I'm hoping there is an MS moderator on board to review this and act. I've seen this question posted by others and want to reiterate that, as an admin, I am appalled that there is no way to setup fingerprint authentication on a domain computer without also enabling PIN...