Windows 10: Optional Updates, now BSOD!

Discus and support Optional Updates, now BSOD! in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So, last night I went to shut down my pc and thought I'd first check for updates, noticed I had optional ones, so I added them, and WHAM! BSOD, pc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SurgeSoda, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Optional Updates, now BSOD!

So, last night I went to shut down my pc and thought I'd first check for updates, noticed I had optional ones, so I added them, and WHAM! BSOD, pc diagnoses, then attempts repairs etc. Booting in safe mode it asks for my password to be able to remove recent updates, after a few failed attempts I move to another computer and get my password but NO LUCK, still says incorrect password. I know the password is correct as I am logged into the account on a different pc, microsoft account etc.

More searching and Google says might be GPU issue, desperate to retrieve things from comp I decide to open it and remove the added graphics card which of course didn't help, nor did putting it back in. Now it boots immediate to the "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER".

Sooo...! When I/if I format the pc what is actually saved/retrievable from the window.old file?

Or... Other advice?

submitted by /u/SurgeSoda
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SurgeSoda, Oct 20, 2020
  2. Knoxx29 Win User
    Knoxx29, Oct 20, 2020
  3. alexsubri Win User
    BSOD- atikmpag.sys

This is most likely due to an installation/upgrade error with ATI driver's. I suggest doing DriveSweeper and the following:
    • Drivesweeper all drivers & in Safe Mode
    • Unistall all drivers that aren't used in DriveSweeper (CCC Profiler Updates, MSI AfterBurner, anything related to ATI that use's it's drivers.)
    • After you do this, the first thing you need to do is go into Device Manager and Unistall your ATI Drivers
    Optional Updates, now BSOD! [​IMG]

Once your done, restart the PC and then try installing the latest drivers.

I had several issues with this in the past, but I overcame it with logical reasoning and whenever I have a driver issue, I just use these steps and I always overcome the problem.

Best of luck! *Toast :toast:

alexsubri, Oct 20, 2020
  4. 3Colors Win User

Optional Updates, now BSOD!

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Optional Updates, now BSOD! :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Oct 20, 2020
Thema:

Optional Updates, now BSOD!

1. Optional Updates, now BSOD! - Similar Threads - Optional Updates BSOD

2. I updated windows and now it won’t boot and there’s no reset option on it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I updated windows and now it won’t boot and there’s no reset option on it.: I followed another thread and got the bcd file contents but the images refuse to upload here for some reason. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-updated-windows-and-now-it-wont-boot-and-theres/479b8055-9606-46be-a4fa-489ce1b27953
  3. I updated windows and now it won’t boot and there’s no reset option on it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I updated windows and now it won’t boot and there’s no reset option on it.: I followed another thread and got the bcd file contents but the images refuse to upload here for some reason. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-updated-windows-and-now-it-wont-boot-and-theres/479b8055-9606-46be-a4fa-489ce1b27953
  4. I updated windows and now it won’t boot and there’s no reset option on it.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 11: Optional January update KB5022360 is now available

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11: Optional January update KB5022360 is now available: The new update KB5022360 with various bug fixes and a changed handling of .NET updates is available for Windows 11 version 22H2. The installation is optional, and most Windows 11 users may want to skip the installation. Windows 11 devices affected by issues that are fixed by...
  6. Updated to v. 2004 and now "Choose when updates..." option is missing

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updated to v. 2004 and now "Choose when updates..." option is missing: I just updated from version 1909 to version 2004 last night. This morning I looked at Settings>Update & Security>Windows Update>Advanced options, and found that the "Choose when updates are installed" option is now missing. Was this change intentional, or is it a bug? I...
  7. Windows 10 driver updates will now be manual Optional Updates

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 driver updates will now be manual Optional Updates: Driver publishing can be complicated. Optional drivers have various methods of acquisition, which creates confusion. Starting now we are making changes to streamline things a bit. All partners will now be able to publish drivers as automatic! This grants access to driver...
  8. BSOD Recently changed Bios then updated drivers. Constant BSOD now

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Recently changed Bios then updated drivers. Constant BSOD now: Trying to type this up fast enough before crash but I updated my B450f Mobo to latest bios along with my chipset and windows updates. I think I did to much at once now im getting BSODS. Reinstalled windows things were good until I updated my drivers Each time I installed...
  9. Feature Update To 1903 - "Download and install now" option missing

Feature Update To 1903 - "Download and install now" option missing: [img] I'm sure it was there yesterday, but today it isn't. Btw, ignore flight mode in the taskbar - wifi is activated and signal is strong. Windows 10 1809 running on Acer Iconia w4 32GB. Any ideas would be much appreciated. 139736
  10. Feature Update 1903: "Download and install now" option question

Feature Update 1903: "Download and install now" option question: Hello: I'm currently on: Windows 10 Version 1809. Build 17763.529 Clicked on Windows Update in Settings yesterday. Saw Feature Update Version 1903. Option to "Download and install now" I see there are many issues outstanding in 1903 and that Microsoft is working on them. I...