Windows 10: Options available to consolidate files

Discus and support Options available to consolidate files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; There are two old windows HDs that have health (SMART) or chkdsk problems that have some duplicate files that may have been modified over time. Each... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zbook, Jan 12, 2020.

1. zbook Win User

Options available to consolidate files

There are two old windows HDs that have health (SMART) or chkdsk problems that have some duplicate files that may have been modified over time.

Each Windows internal HD is 750 GB.

There is an external 4 TB drive with 2 GB free space.

One HD has had it's users folders copied and pasted to the external HD.

The other had a recent failure to boot that was fixed by a system restore.

What methods are available to consolidate the files from the two problematic drives?

Are they the same or different if the drive did not have problems?

Is it a tedious process where you need to compare each file side by side?
    Or do you end up having thousands of duplicate files and keep getting larger drives?

Should the users folder of the second problematic drive be copied and pasted to the external HD?
    There is no Macrium backup image yet. Is there a role for a backup image if the Windows drive is being converted to a non windows drive (saving files without the operating system)? Or should it be done anyway as an extra backup step?

:)

zbook, Jan 12, 2020
  2. zbook Win User

There are two old windows HDs that have health (SMART) or chkdsk problems that have some duplicate files that may have been modified over time.

Each Windows internal HD is 750 GB.

There is an external 4 TB drive with 2 GB free space.

One HD has had it's users folders copied and pasted to the external HD.

The other had a recent failure to boot that was fixed by a system restore.

What methods are available to consolidate the files from the two problematic drives?

Are they the same or different if the drive did not have problems?

Is it a tedious process where you need to compare each file side by side?
    Or do you end up having thousands of duplicate files and keep getting larger drives?

Should the users folder of the second problematic drive be copied and pasted to the external HD?
    There is no Macrium backup image yet. Is there a role for a backup image if the Windows drive is being converted to a non windows drive (saving files without the operating system)? Or should it be done anyway as an extra backup step?

zbook, Jan 12, 2020
  3. zbook Win User

For computer 1 the files were copied and pasted to the external HD by creating a new folder and moving the users folders into this folder.

For computer 2 the files were not yet copied and there is no backup image.

For a 750 GB HD this takes many hours and a substantial portion can be performed overnight.

There will be two folders on the 4 TB HD, one from each computer?

There are no other steps to perform before the copy and paste?

Is this typically the most efficient / effective method?

If there were Macrium backup images would they make the process any easier?

zbook, Jan 12, 2020
  4. Options available to consolidate files

File Explorer navigation pane sometimes expands to show all folders and sometimes consolidates shows only the selected folder

Both the folders that expand fully and those that partially expand have exactly the same settings, which are as you suggested, so this didn't solve the problem. Any other ideas?

Bruce Needham, Jan 12, 2020
Thema:

1. Options available to consolidate files - Similar Threads - Options available consolidate

2. Consolidate Certifications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Consolidate Certifications: Hello Microsoft,I have close to 8 certifications but I have changed my name since then. I need to consolidate all of my certifications under my new name and account. What is the best way to do that?...
  3. Consolidate Certifications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Consolidate Certifications: Hello Microsoft,I have close to 8 certifications but I have changed my name since then. I need to consolidate all of my certifications under my new name and account. What is the best way to do that?...
  4. Microsoft Consolidator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Consolidator: Why does this app run so often? It says it will run every 6 hours. I think it is the app tying up my computer so nothing else runs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-consolidator/d41decc5-8fb4-49c5-864e-f018843d8793
  5. Microsoft Consolidator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Consolidator: Why does this app run so often? It says it will run every 6 hours. I think it is the app tying up my computer so nothing else runs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-consolidator/d41decc5-8fb4-49c5-864e-f018843d8793
  6. Microsoft Consolidator

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Consolidation of Windows Accounts?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Consolidation of Windows Accounts?: Hi all,this is something which annoys me since a long time. Somehow, I have two different Microsoft-accounts for one email-address. Every time I need to put in my passwords I have to try different combinations.I have a "School" and a "Corporate" account somehow. Why does...
  8. Consolidating Accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Consolidating Accounts: Hi Microsoft, I have an issue where, over years of using Microsoft and its various products and services, I have unknowingly split my data between three different accounts - all in the same Microsoft "family" but using different logins for some reason. - One is linked to...
  9. Consolidate or Update Account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Consolidate or Update Account: My old PC died. I bought and set up a new Windows 10 PC using my wife's email account and her cell phone number in order to go through the steps. But now I have my own cell phone and my email operating and am trying to change the address and phone number for my account....
  10. Start menu consolidation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu consolidation: I don't like clutter. To that end I have added new folders to the start menu and grouped like items together into appropriately named folders: for example, image editors and tools into a folder named image processing, various text editors into a folder named text editors,...