Windows 10: Organization changing Windows Hello PIN settings

Discus and support Organization changing Windows Hello PIN settings in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I have been signing on to my laptop running Windows 10 with a PIN for a year, but after I installed Microsoft Office through my university, it forced... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by darthinator, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Organization changing Windows Hello PIN settings

I have been signing on to my laptop running Windows 10 with a PIN for a year, but after I installed Microsoft Office through my university, it forced me to change my PIN to something overly complex, saying my organization required it. Now when I try to change/re-enable my PIN, it says Windows Hello is unavailable. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that when I installed Office through my university, it asked me if I would allow my organization to change settings on my device, and I allowed it. I want to undo this, because it's driving me crazy, but can't figure out how. I've already tried disabling 'Use Windows Hello For Business' in the local group policy editor, which doesn't seem to have done anything at all. How can I revoke an organization's control over my laptop's settings?

:)

darthinator, Jun 11, 2020
  2. Anne Ros Win User

Login with PIN and Hello

Hi Jean,

Windows 10 includes multiple options to sign-in to your account, including the ability to sign-in using a PIN and Windows Hello, which uses facial recognition. For us to provide a solution suited to your concern, we need additional information. Can
    you answer the questions below?

• How are you setting the PIN and Hello?
    • Which build version of Windows is your PC running on?
    • Were there any error codes or messages?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps below on how to set up PIN.

• Open Settings.
    • Select Accounts.
    • Click Sign-in options.
    • Click the Add button for the PIN and set your PIN.
    • Do the same for the Windows Hello.

Looking forward to your response.

Anne Ros, Jun 11, 2020
  3. Can't enable Windows Hello - Some settings are managed by your organization

I found the solution. The reason is that Windows Hello is managed differently on domain joined computers, starting with the anniversary update.
    To get it to work you have to follow these steps:

1) Setup a Group Policy Central Store (you should already have that)

2) Get Windows 10 Anniversary Update Group Policy Templates. You can do so by copying your files from PolicyDefinitions (in windir on a Win10 Anniversary Update machine) into the PolicyDefinitions of the central store. You might copy those files first to a file share, because of permissions your regular user should not have on the central store.

3) Setup a new GPO or add to an existing the following settings to enable Windows Hello:

• Computer Configuration/Policies/Administrative Templates

.../Windows Components/Windows Hello For Business/ Use biometrics => Enabled

.../Windows Components/Windows Hello for Business/ Use a hardware security device => Enabled (if you want to use TPM instead of key or certificate based activation for Windows Hello). Note that in general all business computers should have TPM

.../System/Logon/ Turn on convenience PIN sign-in => Enabled (This is the key. This enables PIN sign-in which in turn will enable Hello, together with the other settings.)

.../Windows Components/Biometrics/ Allow domain users to log on using biometrics => Enabled (I think this is enabled by default, but being explicit makes GP management a lot easier.)

You will find more optional configuration possibilities in System/Logon and Windows Components/Biometrics and Windows Components/Windows Hello for Business.

You will find more background here:
    Changes to Convenience PIN / Windows Hello Behavior in Windows 10 Version 1607

and here

Manage Windows Hello in your organization (Windows 10) - Microsoft 365 Security | Microsoft Docs

Most important excerpt:

If you want to use key or certificate based Windows Hello you can follow the guides in the links. Don't get confused though. You can still use regular TPM for normal Windows Hello.

zuckerthoben, Jun 11, 2020
  4. Organization changing Windows Hello PIN settings

windows hello and pin

Hi,

This error code is usually caused by corrupted Windows system files. For better assistance, we would like to ask the following:

• What happens when you're trying to set up Windows Hello or a pin on your computer?
    • Is there an error message displayed when setting up Windows Hello or a pin?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • How did you reinstall Windows?

Looking forward to your reply so we can provide the best resolution for you.

Gerard Qui, Jun 11, 2020
Thema:

Organization changing Windows Hello PIN settings

1. Organization changing Windows Hello PIN settings - Similar Threads - Organization changing Hello

2. Asked to change PIN Windows Hello managed by organization, they said to use "certUtil...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Asked to change PIN Windows Hello managed by organization, they said to use "certUtil...: Hello, I am part of a business organization and I have a win 11 setup with a PINFor security reasons I had to change my PIN Windows Hello that is managed by my organization.I contacted one of the IT managers of the company that suggested to run a CMD command as admin with the...
  3. Asked to change PIN Windows Hello managed by organization, they said to use "certUtil...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Asked to change PIN Windows Hello managed by organization, they said to use "certUtil...: Hello, I am part of a business organization and I have a win 11 setup with a PINFor security reasons I had to change my PIN Windows Hello that is managed by my organization.I contacted one of the IT managers of the company that suggested to run a CMD command as admin with the...
  4. 'Organization' settings preventing PIN change requirements

'Organization' settings preventing PIN change requirements: I had linked my school email to my home computer, but did not realize that it would take control of my passcode settings. I have since removed the school from my accounts, restarted my computer, and I still can't get rid of that setting. I am unable to log onto Microsoft help...
  5. 'Organization' settings preventing PIN change requirements

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    'Organization' settings preventing PIN change requirements: I had linked my school email to my home computer, but did not realize that it would take control of my passcode settings. I have since removed the school from my accounts, restarted my computer, and I still can't get rid of that setting. I am unable to log onto Microsoft help...
  6. 'Organization' settings preventing PIN change requirements

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Windows Hello will not set PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Hello will not set PIN: I was locked into the endless loop of not being able to start my system because I got the "something happened and your PIN is not available" loop. I did a system restore and I am now able to log in, but the Settings menu will not let me create a PIN in Windows Hello. I am...
  8. Windows Hello will not set PIN

Windows Hello will not set PIN: I was locked into the endless loop of not being able to start my system because I got the "something happened and your PIN is not available" loop. I did a system restore and I am now able to log in, but the Settings menu will not let me create a PIN in Windows Hello. I am...
  9. Organization requires changing PIN

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Organization requires changing PIN: I am currently having an issue with being forced to change my pin. The prompt states that it is my organization that requires this. This is my personal computer and I am the only user on it. I have tried the solutions on other questions, but none of them have worked. I cannot...
  10. change hello pin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    change hello pin: Hello, I have install skype for business for a work meeting but on my home PC. Apparently now I am part of an "organization" and I had to change my hello PIN with more characters originally 4 digit. Now I want to make it back to what it was but I cant. I restored my...