Windows 10: Organize Documents through a segment in the name - Windows 10

Discus and support Organize Documents through a segment in the name - Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I don't know how to phrase this better, so the title might be a bit offputting. Basically I have to sort a bunch of documents that have a string of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AntonRabanus, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Organize Documents through a segment in the name - Windows 10

I don't know how to phrase this better, so the title might be a bit offputting. Basically I have to sort a bunch of documents that have a string of letters in the middle into separate folders.

I did this on Linux before, through the filter command in the terminal (mv /path/to/file *variable* /path/to/target/directory The term variable is where the thing you want to filter after is inserted). I was wondering if there was a similar command in the Windows Command Prompt that did this.

The filenames look something like this: 12345-AB-generictexthere (the Linux command for this Document would've looked like this: mv /path/to/12345-AB-generictext *AB* /path/to/target/directory)

The Files have to get sorted by the AB section of the filename, and there are about twenty different variations of this, varying between two and four letters.

Is this possible through the command prompt? or is there a program to do this specific thing?

Kind Regards,

Anton

:)

AntonRabanus, Sep 17, 2019
  2. Ruano313 Win User

Organizeing your "My Document"

Can someone please suggest a better way organizeing your "My Document" ?

For example... Right now I like to use the following steps.

My Document - >

-> Clients

-> Contracts

-> Personal

-> Legal

-> Home

-> Projects

-Subject - > Year -> Date -> Case Number -> Name (last name , first name)

Contracts - > 2019 -> March -9 -> 301 -> Smith.John

(sample) = 190309.301 - Smith. John

P.S. Is there a way to "Link" a document to several folders /documents regarding the same subject or intrest ?

Ruano313, Sep 17, 2019
  3. Mala_S Win User
    Organizeing your "My Document"

Hello Ruano313,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To address your concern, kindly help us with the following question.

In which application are you trying to organize the folders?

We can organize the folders in File Explorer by creating few extra tabs. To do that kindly follow the below suggestion and see if it works.

Method 1: Organize the folders in File Explorer.

• In file Explorer, create different folders for all your documents.
    • After creating all the folders, right click on the top horizontal folder (heading) and select
      More option. In there, you can enable the
      details
      you want to insert.

Organize Documents through a segment in the name - Windows 10 1a7afe56-0fe6-4d08-8ceb-79595a1c082b?upload=true.jpg

Organize Documents through a segment in the name - Windows 10 bdac97aa-b2ac-43f4-bdb1-2493ac43b729?upload=true.png

• From the above list of entries, you can enable the feature you would want to use to organize accordingly.

Method 2: Tag the folder.

You have an option to tag the folder in File Explorer. By adding tags, you get to sort the documents easily. To do that,

• Right click on the particular folder and select
      Properties
    • Select Details tab > Narrow down to
      Tags Value
      and double click to name it as XYZ.
    • Once after naming it, go to the search window in file explorer and search for XYZ to find the folder.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Sep 17, 2019
  4. Organize Documents through a segment in the name - Windows 10

Tips on organizing the Document Folder

I have Windows 10 Home, and I noticed a lot of apps like to save configuration and other data files in the Documents Folder. Personally, I feel that they should be stored in a different location under the current user's folder. (For example, under C:\Users\User\AppData). Is there a way to tell Windows 10 that applications should save these files somewhere else? It just makes the Documents Folder look messy. How have you handled this? I'm looking for tips, ideas, suggestion, best practices, etc for organizing and/or separating legitimate documents from application data so that User data and documents are easier to sync and back up.

GhostHunterJim, Sep 17, 2019
Thema:

Organize Documents through a segment in the name - Windows 10

1. Organize Documents through a segment in the name - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Organize Documents through

2. Retrieve Windows Installations Name and Organization names.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Retrieve Windows Installations Name and Organization names.: When a new copy of the windows 10 environment is installed on a new PC, the installation process will soon asks for your 'name' and an organization' name and then you continue pressing the return key to finish. But Now......., with all that said, How do you retrieve that...
  3. Retrieve Windows Installations Name and Organization names.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Retrieve Windows Installations Name and Organization names.: When a new copy of the windows 10 environment is installed on a new PC, the installation process will soon asks for your 'name' and an organization' name and then you continue pressing the return key to finish. But Now......., with all that said, How do you retrieve that...
  4. Retrieve Windows Installations Name and Organization names.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Retrieve Windows Installations Name and Organization names.: When a new copy of he windows 10 environment is installed on a new PC, the installation process asks for your 'name' and an organization' name and then you continue to pressing the return key to finish. But Now......., with all that said, How do you retrieve that 'name' and...
  5. netbios outside segment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    netbios outside segment: HelloHow do I query for the name of a host outside of my network segment?Eg.:My host is MYPC with IP 192.168.1.3 1.x subnetThe other host has IP 192.168.3.9 3.x subnet...
  6. netbios outside segment

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    netbios outside segment: HelloHow do I query for the name of a host outside of my network segment?Eg.:My host is MYPC with IP 192.168.1.3 1.x subnetThe other host has IP 192.168.3.9 3.x subnet...
  7. File record segment

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File record segment: So I was performing a disk check and I got some bad record segment and is apparently slowing my disk drive. And so while checking I came across these names like 2CD78, 2C90C, 2C90E, etc. And I tried checking on internet and wasn't helpful at all. So I was wondering if there's...
  8. Corrupt Segment

in Windows 10 Support
    Corrupt Segment: I have a external hard drive connected to my computer that has all my quickbooks files on it but have a corrupt segment, the number chkdsk gave me was 3EFSD. Can somebody please help me fix it. 97527
  9. Sell apps to organizations through Windows Store for Business

in Windows 10 News
    Sell apps to organizations through Windows Store for Business: Windows Store for Business is a web-based portal that IT decision makers, purchasers and administrators use to find, acquire, manage, and distribute Windows Store apps across their organization’s Windows 10 devices. Windows Store for Business allows you to extend reach and...
  10. Tips on organizing the Document Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Tips on organizing the Document Folder: I have Windows 10 Home, and I noticed a lot of apps like to save configuration and other data files in the Documents Folder. Personally, I feel that they should be stored in a different location under the current user's folder. (For example, under C:\Users\User\AppData). Is...