Windows 10: Organizing Folders in File Explorer

Discus and support Organizing Folders in File Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi! I am having problems organizing Folders and Files within my Folders in Windows 10 File Explorer. I need to manually change the order the files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JesseRandall, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Organizing Folders in File Explorer

Hi!

I am having problems organizing Folders and Files within my Folders in Windows 10 File Explorer. I need to manually change the order the files are displayed—top to bottom. I need this order to be different than any of the auto 'sort by' selections. For example, I need a file named 'week six' to be above a file named 'weed eight' and similar situations. The order I need to group my files in is not always by name or file type. I would love to click on a file and drag it to the exact spot I need it be; however, File Explorer is not letting me do that—it automatically moves the file according to its 'sort by' setting. Help. How can I change this?

Thanks!

Jesse

:)

JesseRandall, Jul 23, 2020
  2. John Fer Win User

Organize pictures in File Explorer in sub-folders by Year and Month

Hi Joseph,

We want to know more about the issue that you are experiencing. Please answer the following:

• Are you trying to organize folders on your PC or on your mobile device?
    • If you are trying to organize folders on your mobile device, could you please provide us the make and model of your device?

Meanwhile, if you are trying to organize your PC’s file explorer, we suggest checking the reply of
    IanCost on this thread to help you out.

Let us know how this goes.

John Fer, Aug 4, 2020
  3. Files remain in original folder after moving them to new folder in file explorer

Hi,

The issue that you’ve encountered regarding the File Explorer may be caused by some configuration or files mismatched. To sort out your concern, we suggest that you reset the folder settings from the
    Folder Options. This will reboot the folder’s preferences to its default state and remove any possible software conflict. To do this, you may follow these steps:

• Click Start, type File Explorer, and press
      Enter
    • On the File Explorer window, click the View tab > Options > Change folder and search options > View.
    • Under the Folder views section, click Reset Folders, and then select
      Yes to confirm.
    • Once you’re done, click OK, and then check if the issue persists.

Note: This process will remove the list of files that you recently opened.

Let us know if the suggestion works for you.

Joseph Ban, Aug 4, 2020
  4. Organizing Folders in File Explorer

Organizing Folders in File Explorer

Hi!

I am having problems organizing Folders and Files within my Folders in Windows 10 File Explorer. I need to manually change the order the files are displayed—top to bottom. I need this order to be different than any of the auto 'sort by' selections. For
    example, I need a file named 'week six' to be above a file named 'weed eight' and similar situations. The order I need to group my files in is not always by name or file type. I would love to click on a file and drag it to the exact spot I need it be; however,
    File Explorer is not letting me do that—it automatically moves the file according to its 'sort by' setting. Help. How can I change this?

Thanks!

Jesse

JesseRandall, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

Organizing Folders in File Explorer

1. Organizing Folders in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Organizing Folders File

2. file explorer folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer folder: I just noticed the following folder in File Explorer. What is it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-folder/b5d88c0c-cffa-481c-bca0-5f742d4576e2
  3. file explorer folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer folder: I just noticed the following folder in File Explorer. What is it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-folder/b5d88c0c-cffa-481c-bca0-5f742d4576e2
  4. File explorer needs a way to Manually organize files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer needs a way to Manually organize files: I have an SD Card that I am filling with pictures and I want the folders the pictures are in to go like Oc's Hands then Other, Simple right? well I can't make it like that manually Which is what I wanted to do so I had to sort the files by Authors Descending which could...
  5. Folders in file explorer

Folders in file explorer: [ATTACH] just a quick question in the image i’ve taken how do i download folders or files like this so if i download a iso it will show like this but it will have iso writen on it in the corner so these are zip files they have the letter z the guy was downloading a iso on...
  6. Organizing photos in windows 10 File Explorer.

Organizing photos in windows 10 File Explorer.: My photos were organized chronologically in This PC in Pictures and also alphabetically in Libraries in Pictures when I downloaded them from my camera or from my email. Now when I download photos from my email, they are are only showing up in Libraries. When I try to open...
  7. Folder organization

Folder organization: Hello. I have recently bought a computer with Windows 10, after many years of Win 7. I was very satisfied with 7. Since installing, I am trying desperately to understand what Microsoft thinking is regarding file/folder organization. Although I'm fairly computer literate, I...
  8. File Explorer Photo Organization vs Photo App Organization

File Explorer Photo Organization vs Photo App Organization: In File Explorer, I have put my photos in folders according to the subject. Do I have to do this all over again in the Photos app for Windows 10, in order to get the folder contents from Explorer into albums in the Photos app? Also, any recommendations for an affordable...
  9. How can I organize my folders in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I organize my folders in Windows Explorer: I am a singer and have the software to record my music. I have everything organized into separate file folders. For me, what I did was create a folder called DATA and then everything goes inside that folder. That way when I back up all my data all I have to do is backup...
  10. File Explorer Auto Renaming Organization Within Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Auto Renaming Organization Within Folders: Yea, the topic name sounds very in-depth and confusing haha, so let me elaborate. Sometimes I download wallpaper images, and Properly rename them so they don't have so much useless info in the filename. When I am renaming the files, sometimes I would rename a file that has...