Windows 10: Orientation resets to portrait on logout or reboot

Discus and support Orientation resets to portrait on logout or reboot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have my tablet set to portrait orientation, but if I log out or reboot it reverts to portrait, even if rotation lock is on. I assume this is because... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mimizuku no Lew, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Orientation resets to portrait on logout or reboot

I have my tablet set to portrait orientation, but if I log out or reboot it reverts to portrait, even if rotation lock is on. I assume this is because it's an 8" tablet which MS decided are meant to be used in portrait but surely if rotation lock is on then it should respect that setting?

Toshiba Encore 8 on build 10162

:)

Mimizuku no Lew, Jul 2, 2015

2. Individual photos in my files are all defaulted to landscape now (even if they are formated as a portrait)

Add the 'Orientation' column to a Detail view in File Explorer. If the photos that should be displayed as portrait have an Orientation of 'Normal', I'm afraid you're out of luck, because the portrait display was controlled by that bit, which has gotten
    reset somehow.

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Jul 2, 2015
  3. jac.chr Win User
    Surface registry key to set screen orientation to Portrait

Hi Experts

How do I disable the autorotation and set the screen orientation to 'Portrait' on a Surface tablet? In the 'Screen Resolution' settings the orientation is set to 'Portrait' and the 'Allow the screen to auto-rotate' is de-selected. However after a reboot
    the screen still auto-rotates (even thought the auto-rotate is still de-selected' and the screen is not in 'Portrait' mode if the Surface is placed in 'landscape'.

I have checked the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AutoRotation and can see that the Enable DWORD value is set to 0. I can see that the value toggles if selecting or de-selecting the 'Allow the screen to auto-rotate'
    option is changed.

Is there any registry key that will permanently disable the auto-rotate function and keep the screen orientation fixed to 'Portrait' - even after a restart?

jac.chr, Jul 2, 2015
  4. Orientation resets to portrait on logout or reboot

Annoyingly, this one still exists in the current build.

Mimizuku no Lew, Jul 15, 2015
  5. eddiecruz Win User
    I hope I'm not thread hijacking, because the OP's title is EXACTLY the problem I'm having and can't find anything about a solution. ASUS R554LA Notebook. After Win10 upgrade and driver updates, even folding back the screen to use as a tablet reverts orientation to portrait. Anyone? Thanks in advance.

eddiecruz, Aug 20, 2015
  6. Labonte18 Win User
    Been having this problem.. Came up with a workaround.

First.. The problem only happened on a 7" screen.. Have 2 tablets, same model, but one has a 7" screen, the other a 10".. The 10" worked perfectly.. The 7" had this problem.

Now, 2 different processes here.. First person just went into Device Manager, under "Sensors", disabled the "HID Sensor Collection V2", scanned for hardware changes, and it worked fine.

I had a bit rockier road with it.. I had to go into Device Manager, disable the "HID Sensor Collection V2", then re-enable it, the disable it AGAIN.. Then reboot.. And it has stuck on landscape ever since, through multiple logouts.

Your mileage may vary.. But.. It seems to be working.

Labonte18, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Orientation resets to portrait on logout or reboot

1. Orientation resets to portrait on logout or reboot - Similar Threads - Orientation resets portrait

2. Mouse is not adjusting to monitor in portrait orientation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse is not adjusting to monitor in portrait orientation.: I have a laptop and 2 external monitors. My main monitor is connected to my laptop via HDMI the only hdmi port the laptop has. The second monitor I have is connected via a usb-c to hdmi adapter, and it is the monitor that I have in portrait orientation. So to give you a...
  3. Mouse is not adjusting to monitor in portrait orientation.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse is not adjusting to monitor in portrait orientation.: I have a laptop and 2 external monitors. My main monitor is connected to my laptop via HDMI the only hdmi port the laptop has. The second monitor I have is connected via a usb-c to hdmi adapter, and it is the monitor that I have in portrait orientation. So to give you a...
  4. Use camera as mirror but in portrait orientation, not landscape

Use camera as mirror but in portrait orientation, not landscape: Hello. I am taking a dance class and need a mirror, which I don't have room for in my home. I have a large TV screen monitor, actually, though, and I thought I could display my computer screen on my monitor. I need a split screen so one-half can show my online class and the...
  5. can I get it in portrait orientation?

in Windows 10 Customization
    can I get it in portrait orientation?: is there any way to change the orientation maybe portrait instead of landscape? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-get-it-in-portrait-orientation/156e23b6-acc9-4506-85c4-02c910ec0fcc
  6. can I get it in portrait orientation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can I get it in portrait orientation?: is there any way to change the orientation maybe portrait instead of landscape? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-get-it-in-portrait-orientation/156e23b6-acc9-4506-85c4-02c910ec0fcc
  7. can I get it in portrait orientation?

8. Portrait Screen Orientation Menu Limitations

in Windows 10 Customization
    Portrait Screen Orientation Menu Limitations: I have recently rotated one of my two displays to portrait mode. The downside seems to be that Outlook is not set up to work properly in this orientation and I am not able to lock the folder pane to visible. When navigating to the "view" tab and selecting "folder pane" ,...
  9. Portrait Orientation Hack?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Portrait Orientation Hack?: Hey guys! I'm on a dual screen set up with both monitors being ultrawide (productivity babyyyyyy). But on my second monitor that is in portrait to save desk space, I'm always having to drag windows around to fix the bottom or top half of the screen. I want to know if there...
  10. RAW Files-Portrait Orientation shown in Landscape Orientation with no rotation option.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RAW Files-Portrait Orientation shown in Landscape Orientation with no rotation option.: I have seen this question over and over again with no real answer provided. For RAW files (not jpegs) pictures taken in the portrait orientation are showing up in the landscape orientation in the windows photo viewer. In the past you could just highlight these photos,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. set rotation portrait permanently

2. windows 10 orientation resets after reboot