Windows 10: Origin Client triggers COM Surrogate process to run on next reboot!

Discus and support Origin Client triggers COM Surrogate process to run on next reboot! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For months since I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit clean install I have detected that sometimes when restarting the computer or just shutting it down... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BLaZiNgSPEED, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Origin Client triggers COM Surrogate process to run on next reboot!

For months since I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit clean install I have detected that sometimes when restarting the computer or just shutting it down and booting it back on, next time I would see COM Surrogate (dllhost.exe) to run as a background process in my Task Manager, something I have not previously seen this trigger happening in Windows 8.1 or 7.

Origin Client triggers COM Surrogate process to run on next reboot! [​IMG]

On Sunday for the first time I have identified the cause of this trigger and after further investigation I have finally found out that the Origin application client causes COM Surrogate to run in the background on the next PC boot or restart under Windows 10!
    Origin

You then have to restart the computer one more time and then COM Surrogate will not start up! And as long as you don't launch the Origin client next PC restarts/boots are normal and COM Surrogate will not be triggered.

Apparently this strange behaviour is happening only with the Origin client and I can confirm that following repeated experimentations. I also use Steam, GOG Galaxy, Ubisoft Uplay, Epic Games Launcher and none of the other applications trigger COM Surrogate to run on next PC boot or restart!

So my question is why is this happening with the Origin client and is there a fix for this issue? I tried running Origin as an Administrator and disabling Data Execution Prevention (DEP) but none of this has so far solved this mysterious issue.

Anyway, I don't have any technical problems with the Origin client, I am just wondering why COM Surrogate gets triggered to run in the background following the next boot after launching the Origin application!

The strange thing is that COM Surrogate does not run in the background when launching Origin, but only after restarting the computer following the launch of the application!

Can anyone share their experience and tell me if they are also experiencing the same issue with Origin under Windows 10 triggering COM Surrogate on next PC boot or restart?! I have had Windows 10 1809 and now I have 1903 I have not updated yet to 1909. My Origin client has been regularly updated over the last few months but it appears it has no impact on this issue.

:)

BLaZiNgSPEED, Mar 17, 2020

2. Two COM surrogate running in task manager?

Hello,

That's completely normal. You don't need worry about it Origin Client triggers COM Surrogate process to run on next reboot! :)

Here is brief introduction about COM Surrogate, for your reference:

When you navigate through files and folders in File Explorer, there are some host processes going on in background. Due to these processes, you’re able to view file thumbnails, and other information that may be needful. COM Surrogate basically can be treated
    as complimentary process which helps File Explorer to get objects on the go. Explorer generally triggers COM Surrogate when it has to extract content for a task.

So as a consequence of this, if something goes wrong, COM Surrogate process fails, it saves the Explorer from crashing and takes whole dependency on itself. Due to this, for Explorer, we can treat COM Surrogate as sacrificial process.

Regards.

Kapil Arya [Directly], Mar 17, 2020
  3. Windows 10 COM Surrogate turns on and off repeatedly

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

• Did you made any changes to your PC?
    • Is your PC up to date with Windows Updates?

Component Object Model (COM) is Microsoft's framework for developing and supporting program component object. This COM Surrogate point to a process dllhost.exe. The true dllhost.exe file is a safe Microsoft Windows system process, called "COM Surrogate.
    You can only see the appearance of COM Surrogate in Task Manager, when an instance related to it running in background or in front. Say for example, when you launch Task Manager, you can see immediate appearance of COM Surrogate under Background Processes.
    It indicates that an instance that related to COM Surrogate has been trigged while launching Task Manager. At the same time you can also see dllhost.exe process running under Details tab in task manager.

In view of the same, disappearing of COM Surrogate in task manager, doesn't mean that there is some issue with your system performance. So, you can see appearance of COM Surrogate in Task Manager, when an instance process related to it has been triggered
    or when it is running in background.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Mar 17, 2020
  4. Remon Ont Win User

Origin Client triggers COM Surrogate process to run on next reboot!

Error Message: COM Surrogate has stopped working

Hi Bernard,

COM Surrogate is a process in Windows 10 that is in charge of showing thumbnails and similar information. Issues with COM Surrogate
    is probably caused by MacType or codecs and other COM components installed by various software, like some versions of DivX or Nero.

We would like to know some information to better assist you:

• Have you done any changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • What specific activity are you doing when the error message come up?
    • What specific troubleshooting steps have you tried so far? for us to know what troubleshooting steps we can provide next.

Please check the details of the errors using the steps below and provide us with a screenshot:

• Press Windows key + S.
    • Type View all, then click on View all problem reports Control panel.
    • Right-click on a few of the "COM Surrogate", "Stopped working" errors.
    • View technical details.

We will wait for your response.

Remon Ont, Mar 17, 2020
Thema:

Origin Client triggers COM Surrogate process to run on next reboot!

1. Origin Client triggers COM Surrogate process to run on next reboot! - Similar Threads - Origin Client triggers

2. How to run back COM SURROGATE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to run back COM SURROGATE: I Accidently end task on COM SURROGATE running in my task manager which is taking a lot of CPU , How to run it back on task manager and how to fix the high cpu...
  3. How to run back COM SURROGATE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to run back COM SURROGATE: I Accidently end task on COM SURROGATE running in my task manager which is taking a lot of CPU , How to run it back on task manager and how to fix the high cpu...
  4. COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM Surrogate: My english is not very good i hope you dont mind, anyways i have this problem where COM Surrogate is using about 90% of my GPU, I can close is however it appears again, and when i delete it it appears in C:\Users\MyPC\AppData\Roaming\ac2c2914-db85-ba9a-1a65-a8cafbdf3a8c, it...
  5. COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    COM Surrogate: I have been receiving the following error quite frequently, especially when I run disk cleanup. "COM Surrogate has stopped working". I have Windows 8.1 Pro. Can anyone advise me what this error represents and if I should be concerned about it?...
  6. COM Surrogate

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    COM Surrogate: Gostaria de saber se isso é um virus ou um programa legivel https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/com-surrogate/78136555-aabd-40e5-ae6e-d2acdf4ccdad
  7. COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Customization
    COM Surrogate: A Window that keeps popping up once a day called COM Surrogate in Task Manager and its really starting to annoy me. The window says "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create...
  8. COM surrogate

COM surrogate: I logged on this morning and CMD automatically opened. I became concerned because nothing like this usually happens, so i opened task manager after researching reasons why this may occur and discovering that it may be caused by malware. i saw that a couple programs labelled...
  9. Com Surrogate

Com Surrogate: Hi! This days my computer shows a window that I never saw before about COM Surrogate. It says Windows Security in the name bar above but I don't thrust. What it is? It's a virus?...
  10. COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Support
    COM Surrogate: I'm trying to delete a file or remove personal picture information from a *.jpg, but I'm told that "The action can't be completed because the file is open in COM Surrogate." What is going on? 31943

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to know which program triggering the com surrogate