Windows 10: Original file location

Discus and support Original file location in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, I have a user within the organisation that has moved a file from a folder to a newly created folder. They seem to have lost track... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DwayneD1, Sep 17, 2019.

1. DwayneD1 Win User

Original file location

Hi Everyone,

I have a user within the organisation that has moved a file from a folder to a newly created folder.

They seem to have lost track of where they had originally transferred the file from (original folder location).

Is there a way I could find out where the original file location?

Thanks

:)

DwayneD1, Sep 17, 2019

2. Location service is greyed out

Hi Shahriar,

Thank you for responding.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused for you, I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check If it helps.

Step 1: Steps to turn on the Location settings.

• Login as an administrator.
    • Press Windows key, type Location settings and select
      Change location settings.
    • Check whether Location for this device is On by clicking on
      Change
    • Also turn on Location as well.

Step 2: And as you are unable to set the service Geolocation service to automatic, I suggest you to run SFC scan and check.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Try to set the service to automatic by following the steps provided in the above post by Praveen Venugopal.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 17, 2019
  3. hvaleton Win User
    MS Paint "Save as" location is NOT the file source location

Hi,

In Windows 8.1 (and as far as I can remember in all previous Windows versions) I used to be able to do the following:
    • In Windows Explorer: Open a .jpg file from anywhere in my file system, by right mouse clicking and choosing "edit"
    • After editing: "Save as" (press F12) and save the edited file IN ITS ORIGINAL LOCATION but under a different name.
    Now, in Windows 10, the situation is different:
    • In Windows Explorer I open a .jpg file from anywhere in my file system by right mouse clicking and choosing "edit"
    • After editing: "Save as" (F12) opens a dialogue box that suggests I save the file, NOT in its original location, but in a location that is either the default "pictures" directory or the directory that was previously used as a "save as" location in Paint (these locations are stored in the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Paint\Recent File List")

Now I'd like very much to get the old, Windows 8 type situation back because this does not work for me! It's very inconvenient to have to scroll and click my way through the "save as" dialogue box until I finally find the directory where the edited file was stored in the first place! Why o why does Windows not remember this location?
    I've searched through the internet but it seems nobody else has this problem. I've searched the registry for the word "paint" but was not able to find a setting that would suggest to have some influence on the default saving location of Paint.

Can someone please, please help me? It's driving me nuts! And it's sooo frustrating knowing that it used to work like a charm in WIN8.1 and before.

To clarify the difficulty I experience I perhaps should add that the jpg files I most frequently edit are located on shares on my NAS in paths such as:
    M:\1_KLAS\Bach\Kerk\Jos van Veldhoven\Matthäus Passion, BWV 244 (24-88 2010)\scans\001.jpg
    As you can see, that's buried quite deeply into the file system! And so it costs all the more time and effort to find my way back from the previously edited jpg, say:
    M:\1_KLAS\Bruckner\Orkest\Chailly\Symfonie Nr.6 & Wolf - 4 Goethe Lieder (Goerne, KCO)\scans\001.jpg

P.S. I read somewhere that the "save as" dialogue boxes for Paint and Notepad should be basically the same. But... when I use Notepad to edit some txt file and afterwards use the "save as" option, it does direct me to the original location of the edited file, just as it used to do in Windows 8.1! That tells me that it should still be possible to get the old "save as" behaviour back for Paint. (Or am I being too optimistic here?)
    P.P.S. F12 does not work anymore in Notepad. You have to go through the menu "File" -> "Save as..." That's also a pain in the ass

Which registry key will do the trick for me?

hvaleton, Sep 17, 2019
  4. Original file location

How to change location of MSI????.tmp file

Hi,

You may change the location of the .tmp file by following the steps provided below:

• Go to This PC.
    • Right-click This PC, and then select Advanced System Setting.
    • Click Environment Variables.
    • Under system variable, double-click tmp and change the path for the file of your reference.

If the location still can't be changed, we suggest that you post it on our
    MSDN forum
    . We have highly technical users and IT professionals there that can address your concern.

Feel free to contact us if you have other concerns.

Dennis Mop, Sep 17, 2019
Thema:

Original file location

1. Original file location - Similar Threads - Original file location

2. FLAC file not playing in its original location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FLAC file not playing in its original location: I have a .flac file named "11-Quintet for Piano, Oboe, Clarinet, Horn, and Bassoon in E Flat Major, KV.452 II.Larghetto" in a Folder with the same name located on a USB Drive at G:\Music\Mozart Opera Omnia\Mozart Opera Omnia - 255 - Chamber - Cd 031-040\CD-031\11-Quintet for...
  3. FLAC file not playing in its original location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    FLAC file not playing in its original location: I have a .flac file named "11-Quintet for Piano, Oboe, Clarinet, Horn, and Bassoon in E Flat Major, KV.452 II.Larghetto" in a Folder with the same name located on a USB Drive at G:\Music\Mozart Opera Omnia\Mozart Opera Omnia - 255 - Chamber - Cd 031-040\CD-031\11-Quintet for...
  4. control panel original location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    control panel original location: I'm using Windows 11 Pro 21J2 installed on 10/9/2021 OS build 22000.795. 16.0 GB Installed RAM, Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-10710U CPU @ 1.10GHz 1.61 GHz.Control Panel and Network have moved to my Desktop. When I do a search the "original location" is the desktop. I would like...
  5. control panel original location

control panel original location: I'm using Windows 11 Pro 21J2 installed on 10/9/2021 OS build 22000.795. 16.0 GB Installed RAM, Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-10710U CPU @ 1.10GHz 1.61 GHz.Control Panel and Network have moved to my Desktop. When I do a search the "original location" is the desktop. I would like...
  6. Some Files keep appearing in the original location after restarting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Some Files keep appearing in the original location after restarting: It started 3 weeks ago, i have 2 files deleted from my download folder. After the laptop restarted, they were in my recycle bin but also back in my download. I kept deleting, I ended up with multiple same files in my recycle bin, and they are still in my download folder....
  7. Files move from original locations to deFault

Files move from original locations to deFault: Sometime in the last week or so most documents moved to the documents folder in C:\Users\Sherri. Instead of the folders that they belong I have well over 200 folder in which I file the documents. i.e. C:\Users\Sherri\Documents\Retirement. I am really not in the mood to refile...
  8. Move a file but leave a shortcut in its original location

Move a file but leave a shortcut in its original location: I would like to move a file but automatically leave a shortcut in it's original location. Can this be done? It would help with cleaning house and saving on space, while retaining a record of files and folder structures in the previous location. I have multiple years of...
  9. Copying original files from shortcut location

Copying original files from shortcut location: I have a number of folders (tree structure) all containing exclusively shortcuts to various files stored across a myriad of different folders. Initially I set it up this way as I sifting through documents and sorting them for a separate project but didn't want to duplicate...
  10. restore taskbar to original location

restore taskbar to original location: how to restore taskbar to original location https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-taskbar-to-original-location/440887d7-6a5b-4681-a07d-c99f77f4bc39