Windows 10: Original Spring update (1803.1) appears to be updating to new version

Discus and support Original Spring update (1803.1) appears to be updating to new version in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Has anyone here got Event ID 5061 Audit failure since this update? Also Defender wont update definitions past the 1:27am update this morning. Even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Redbatman, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Redbatman Win User

Original Spring update (1803.1) appears to be updating to new version

Has anyone here got Event ID 5061 Audit failure since this update?
    Also Defender wont update definitions past the 1:27am update this morning. Even though new definitions are out.

Redbatman, Apr 5, 2018
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

just a note to those who tried the original Spring Creators update (from the Ms site - legal one) before Ms pulled the release --although the esd files still on the ms servers yesterday.

I'm not on any insiders ring.

I did check for updates and it seems to be updating -- quite a big update too.

here's what I started with

Original Spring update (1803.1) appears to be updating to new version [​IMG]

and here's what I'm getting now

Original Spring update (1803.1) appears to be updating to new version [​IMG]

will update this post to see what version after the update.

cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 30, 2018
  3. xosn Win User
  4. Original Spring update (1803.1) appears to be updating to new version

Windows 10 update grinding

My windows 10 did an automatic update this morning and it sat grinding for a couple of hours (clock) and did nothing. Finally restarted by turning off and it restored previous version automatically. This has happened twice now. I originally had windows
    7 and updated in the spring. Thanks.

2catslovers, Apr 30, 2018
  5. Samuria Win User
    I got the same I thought it may be a quick update but it's done a full update total time 3 hours

Samuria, Apr 30, 2018
  6. I've seen a lot of reports of this behaviour. I think it has to do with a change of build ID and there might be a few configuration differences between this build and the previously leaked one.

slicendice, Apr 30, 2018
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi folks

on last 2% (98% updated) seems to take a long time

BTW make sure your Windows partition is large enough to accommodate windows.old (prev install) and V.S.S otherwise you'll fail during update. After update you can delete extraneous files and shrink partition -- my preference is Linux live distro and run GPARTED but any bootable partition manager should work.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 30, 2018
  8. Original Spring update (1803.1) appears to be updating to new version

Most of Windows.old is just a bunch of junction points or similar and does not take up much space at all. Allthough my Windows.old is usually around 25-30GB, in reality it only takes about 5-8GB disk space.

slicendice, Apr 30, 2018
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there. @slicendice

It does matter though if you've only allocated about 60 - 70 GB for Windows originally and no other HDD space available for Windows.

The actual space used isn't also the issue -- it's when the update process asks for an allocation and can't get the size it wants - even if it won't use all of it.

There's a load of temporary rubbish that's also using HDD space during the update plus of course the V.S.S for locking so you can continue working while the update is processing.

After all the This is done you can delete extraneous files and shrink partition to a small size again if you want.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 30, 2018
  10. Yep, true.

Windows needs about 8.5GB of free space in order to successfully being able to upgrade. having 16GB or more free space is better though, so the update goes a bit faster and there is absolutely no risk of running out of space.

Also during Windows Upgrade, it does not matter where this free space is located. If you have a secondary partition or another HDD, that will be sufficient. Windows is intelligent enough to use any free space available on the system for SWAP space.

I tested this on a VM. Installed Windows 10 Pro 1709 on a 20GB system drive(4GB free after install), and then I assigned a second 16GB drive, and upgraded to 1803, without any issues.

slicendice, Apr 30, 2018
  11. BRKKAB Win User
    I was in the same exact scenario as you on my older pc. Same old Windows SCU that was supposed to be the RTM version.
    This is where the scenario changes, though.
    My old pc uses wi-fi and has a ssd which Windows is on.
    My internet speed on my main pc has a 120-030 m.b.p.s. download speed. It's wired directly to my router.
    My old pc uses wi-fi and has a 20-30 m.b.p.s download speed.
    Through Windows Update my old pc took roughly 45 minutes to download the update and around 45 minutes to 1 hour for the actuall Windows 10 April 2018 Update to install.
    Either you have issues with your pc or a really slow internet connection and Windows is on a h.d.d. and not a ssd.
    It could be any number of things.
    I keep my pc's ssd's and h,d,d's extremely clean and pretty much check for driver and software updates at least once a day Monday-Friday. On Saturdays & Subday's it's just software updates or malware definitions.
    I als restart my pc's after every update and when I close any web browser, I at least do a cleanup with CCleaner.
    Once, I knew both my pc's were fine and everything made it through the April 2018 Update with no issues, I got rid of the Previous Version of Windows on both pc's and haven't had any issues.
    MAKE SURE YOU RE-CHECK ALL YOUR SETTINGS AND RE-APPLY ANY REGISTRY TWEAKS (IF YOU USE ANY) PRONTO, JUST TO BE SURE YOUR PC IS THE WAY YOU LIKE IT AND HAD IT SETUP BEFORE.

BRKKAB, Apr 30, 2018
  12. The upgrade speed vary a lot between devices with similar specs. For some it takes 45minutes from hitting "Check for updates " in WU dialog to be back on upgraded Windows desktop, for others this can take 3-4h. There are a lot of factors that influence this huge speed difference.

slicendice, Apr 30, 2018
  13. Barman58 Win User

MIne, (updates whilst in use) took between 50 Minutes to two hours dependant on system, from hitting go to working desktop, but of course that was before the RTM rush *Wink

Barman58, Apr 30, 2018
  14. Creators tool remains the same size: 18.2 MB. Hard to know (no indications) if it contains the Insider channel? Won't try updating because would like to do it alongside *.402.
    Thanks for the head-up.

MikeMecanic, Apr 30, 2018
  15. Barman58 Win User
    There is one RS4 build after 17134.1 The "RTM" build,

The current build is 17134.5 which is just updated from 17134.1 as regular Windows update that takes a few minutes only

If it helps the update is KB256063 which accompanies security update KB4135051

Barman58, Apr 30, 2018
Thema:

1. Original Spring update (1803.1) appears to be updating to new version - Similar Threads - Original Spring update

2. Windows 10, Spring Update (1803) - Will the Fall Update Resolve USB Issues?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10, Spring Update (1803) - Will the Fall Update Resolve USB Issues?: It's been more than 10 days since I installed the Spring update so I cannot roll back to 1709. Rather than reset my PC and have to reinstall a bunch of software, I would rather wait for the Fall update. Will the Fall update address the Spring updates issues with USB ports not...
  3. version 1803 update

version 1803 update: My pc tries to load version 1803 and it stalls. It gets to about 80% complete and then freezes...for the whole day if I let it. What to do? If I can never install v1803, how can I stop the update from starting up about once a week? I'm using Win 10 Home with v 1709....
  4. spring update

spring update: is it safe to remove the spring update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/spring-update/5daf5a74-9347-494c-9bf4-71a61004ba86
  5. Spring Update 1803 Installation Data - FYI

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Spring Update 1803 Installation Data - FYI: This is for any geeky mad scientist types that are interested in this sort of thing. I installed the April 2018 update (1803) on 4 PCs recently. I noticed a significant difference in the installation time between one older desktop and a newer laptop, the laptop took MUCH...
  6. After Windows 1803 Update, New Drive appeared

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After Windows 1803 Update, New Drive appeared: Hi all, I have an issue. I downloaded the new update to windows 10 1803 and I used to have only two Hard Disk Drivers. C: and D: Now after the update I have E: which is an OEM Partition. Problem is every few minutes, I get a notification saying its running out of space....
  7. Version 1803 Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Version 1803 Update: I downloaded this version with no problem and had no problem. After the download I noticed a significant change in my speed. I am with Verizon FIOS 50GB speed. 109147
  8. Original Spring update (1803.1) appears to be updating to new version

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Original Spring update (1803.1) appears to be updating to new version: Hi there just a note to those who tried the original Spring Creators update (from the Ms site - legal one) before Ms pulled the release --although the esd files still on the ms servers yesterday. I'm not on any insiders ring. I did check for updates and it seems to be...
  9. Windows 10 Mail App issue after Springs Creators Update Version 1803

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10 Mail App issue after Springs Creators Update Version 1803: I updated to the Springs Creators Update Version 1803. I have about 6 email registered on the Windows Mail App, but only 3 are showing on the left side under accounts. If I go to Manage Accounts all emails show up. I have done a Reset on the Windows Mail app and re-register...
  10. Version 1803 Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Version 1803 Update: Sorry about the confusion. This morning my speed is 57MBPS down--51 UP is that Mega BYTE or mega bit, there's quite a difference ? MBps (MB/s) or Mbps (Mb/s). 57 MByte = 456 Mbit