Windows 10: (ORION) Starmenu Backup Question "Regedit BackUp Trick"

Discus and support (ORION) Starmenu Backup Question "Regedit BackUp Trick" in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; [ATTACH] This is where I learned how to backup start menu using the regedit method: How to Backup and Restore Start Menu Layout in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by [Samuel] Psalm3, Aug 23, 2018.

1. (ORION) Starmenu Backup Question "Regedit BackUp Trick"

(ORION) Starmenu Backup Question "Regedit BackUp Trick" 791fa5d7-ec76-434d-a034-c2f69e36f54c?upload=true.jpg

This is where I learned how to backup start menu using the regedit method:

How to Backup and Restore Start Menu Layout in Windows 10 (Tutorial)
    https://youtu.be/Lol_SiXmmBo

(QUESTION) Hey guys.. I have been still using the StartMenu backup trick using the RegEdit backup method,.. and I had a few small questions..

If I back up the StartMenu using the Regedit method,.. will this eventually slow down or bog the pc when using the start menu or will it in the future cause conflict with software or something?

I have been told its a possibility that it could eventually cause conflict if used too much...

~ Samuel

:)

[Samuel] Psalm3, Aug 23, 2018
  2. Geekoid Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Aug 23, 2018
  3. twilyth Win User
    Backup utility

Cobian backup will do file backups locally or to ftp, with or without encryption and compression. However it doesn't do image backups, which is really what you need if want to fully restore your system.

I've used the W7 back up program and Acronis a few times to restore a system and both work great. With Acronis though, you need to burn the recovery cd they suggest FOR EACH and EVERY machine you use it on.

One problem with W7 backup is that seems to break easily. On one machine I did an upgrade re-install and the backup utility doesn't work. No luck in trouble shooting it either. So I now rely on Acronis exclusively for image backups. But I use Cobian for file backups to ftp.

twilyth, Aug 23, 2018
  4. (ORION) Starmenu Backup Question "Regedit BackUp Trick"

Backup skipped

Hi Ken,

For us to better isolate your concern, we need additional information. Kindly answer the following questions below:

• Are your backing up files or creating a system image?
    • Are you getting any error messages?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    In the meantime, we suggest deleting the backup you created and create a new one. Click this
    article
    and follow the steps on how to create a backup.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Martin Bar, Aug 23, 2018
Thema:

(ORION) Starmenu Backup Question "Regedit BackUp Trick"

1. (ORION) Starmenu Backup Question "Regedit BackUp Trick" - Similar Threads - ORION Starmenu Backup

2. Question on backups

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question on backups: I am currently backing up data from my computer via Win7 Backup and Restore and I can see that my backup drive is beginning to get a little clogged up. Is there a way or a tool to compare two existing backup files and delete duplicate info to save space on the backup drive?...
  3. Backup question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup question: In Windows 10, under All Settings, Update and Security, there is Backup. I usually select Windows 7 Backup and Restore. What does this backup? Does anyone here know? Thank you. 155985
  4. OneDrive backup question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive backup question: I have some files that I use in many GIS projects. They have to keep the same name and file path, in order for the GIS program to find them. Unfortunately, they are all under a “Dropbox” file, since that is how I have been backing them up. Now, however, I want to get rid of...
  5. TODO Free Backup, and General Backup Questions

TODO Free Backup, and General Backup Questions: Hello, What a great Forum and folks. Sure do appreciate all the help I've received. Have a new HP Desktop running W10, and want to install a backup program on it. Will purchase an external HD for it. I see that: Best free backup software for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/vista -...
  6. TODO Free Backup, and General Backup Questions

in Windows 10 Support
    TODO Free Backup, and General Backup Questions: Hello, What a great Forum and folks. Sure do appreciate all the help I've received. Have a new HP Desktop running W10, and want to install a backup program on it. Will purchase an external HD for it. I see that: Best free backup software for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/vista -...
  7. Macrium backup question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium backup question: [img] Can someone tell me if that one box marked in red is something to ignore in the backup process. Thanks. 126596
  8. Question on Macrium backups

Question on Macrium backups: Thanks for thinking about answering my question! I currently have the following backup plan for my laptop - full backup on Sunday, then Differential every other day of the week. So in the case of a failure, I just have to restore the Sunday Full and the latest Differential...
  9. Backup @ Recovery question

Backup @ Recovery question: I just upgraded W7 to W10 on my old laptop. Now I want to create a backup in case my HDD fails. 1. Create Recovery Drive (windows utility) using USB drive. 2. Run Backup and Restore (windows utility) using external HDD. One think I noticed it says "Backup and Restore...
  10. Backup/Image question

Backup/Image question: Hello, For a new laptop with NVMe 256GB and an internal HDD 2TB, was wondering what the best way is to make a backup of OS partitions so that if needed, just copy over the partitions and be done with it. I have moved Users folder to another partition so I currently have:...