Windows 10: orphaned program is blocking my Win10 upgrade

Discus and support orphaned program is blocking my Win10 upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I currently have Win7 Home Premium 64bit. I'm attempting to upgrade to Win1- Pro. I have old program files from an antique version of Nero. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by futuredeety, Feb 29, 2020.

1. orphaned program is blocking my Win10 upgrade

I currently have Win7 Home Premium 64bit. I'm attempting to upgrade to Win1- Pro.

I have old program files from an antique version of Nero. The upgrade to Win10 Pro wants me to either fix it, or uninstall it, but I can't find any uninstall files. Glary Utilities won't even find it.

What do I do short of a fresh install?

:)

futuredeety, Feb 29, 2020

2. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Feb 29, 2020
  3. wee_ones Win User
    Win10 Anniversary upgrade

Hello - I'm trying to upgrade to the Win10 Anniversary on a client's laptop. The laptop previously had Symantec Endpoint Protection, but it was removed before the free upgrade was performed from win7 home edition. The copy of SEP was not compatible with
    the upgrade to Win10, but it was supposedly successfully removed.

Now the Anniversary upgrade stops and reports that it can't continue due to incompatibility with SEP. I've checked the startup, there's no SEP listed, there's no active SEP components listed under the task manager, and I'm unable to manually remove registry
    keys through the regedit program.

So: would it be possible to:

Roll back to the previous win edition, reinstall SEP, then remove SEP, and upgrade to Win10 again?

Manually edit the registry (assuming that I can find the offending key(s)) so the installation can complete?

I don't have access to the latest copy of clean wipe, so I'm not sure that would help.

Please provide any suggestions and thanks in advance

Bill

wee_ones, Feb 29, 2020
  4. orphaned program is blocking my Win10 upgrade

FIREWALL IS BLOCKING CERTAIN PROGRAMS

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

One of the most common problems when using a network firewall is that it sometimes blocks network traffic that you want to allow.

Please follow the below step to troubleshoot with the issue:

• Open the “Control Panel“.
    • Select “System and Security.
    • In the Windows Firewall section, select “Allow a program through Windows Firewall“.
    • Unchecking the box to the left of the application name disallows it from accessing network resources, while checking it allows access.
    • If the program you wish to block or unblock is not listed, you can click the “Allow another program…” button to add it. Choose the application in the list and select “Add“. If the program is not in this list, use the “Browse…
      button to select the program file manually.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please post in case you have any further issues, I will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Feb 29, 2020
Thema:

orphaned program is blocking my Win10 upgrade

1. orphaned program is blocking my Win10 upgrade - Similar Threads - orphaned program blocking

2. I cannot delete my orphaned account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot delete my orphaned account: I have a Windows Home account. I wanted to create a child account, but instead I changed myself to a child. Now I can't do anything. I can't even delete my child account!!! Please help me! Paul...
  3. Administrator? blocking my programs!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Administrator? blocking my programs!: I am just setting up my new HP desktop and when I try to load my printer, which I was already using in Windows 10 on my old computer, I get an error message saying that is being blocked by the Administrator. I am they administrator. Also it will not let me run the Optimize...
  4. upgraded my computer to win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgraded my computer to win10: upgraded my computer to win10 now it so lags it sucks wont load drivers for 5 min. after a restart so slow hardware 32gig ram and 1t harddrive, amd processor of 4600hz why is this loading so slow?...
  5. Delete orphan files from Program Files x86\Common Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Delete orphan files from Program Files x86\Common Files: I recently uninstalled a program named "DiskDirector" using the Apps/Features uninstaller. The result was not pretty. I further tried the application's uninstaller. No improvement. I then ran Windows Fixit. No better. Remaining in "Common Files" is the is the DiskDirector...
  6. Startup programs slow to load after Win10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Startup programs slow to load after Win10 upgrade: I have my computer workstation at my office set up to automatically start Outlook and Autodesk Revit (architectural design software) when I log in each morning. The machine stays on all the time, but I log out in the evening and then log back on in the morning. This is a...
  7. Blocking programs, sometimes

Blocking programs, sometimes: HI! My windows 10 some times blocks programs, some times it does not. It runs little programs that I made with AUTOHOTKEY but then it does not allow them to do any action. Some times it brings up the confirmation window where it asks me to allow a program to make changes,...
  8. Blocking program

Blocking program: How do I get "Five nights at Freddy's" blocked from my autistic 11 year old boy? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blocking-program/492260f5-b5e3-434e-a474-2b4b36c2dfa6"
  9. block program in firewall

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    block program in firewall: How do I block a program from connecting to internet in windows defender firewall? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/block-program-in-firewall/0bf73322-b39c-4884-95e4-06631eeb35d5
  10. Site blocking on my Win10 laptop

Site blocking on my Win10 laptop: I want to be able to block certain websites from my HP Envy m6 1225dx Intel Core i5 laptop running Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Antimalware Free. I had Avast Antivirus and was able to program Avast to do site blocking but how do I do it now that I deleted Avast? And...