Windows 10: OS/2 – Yes, THAT OS/2 – is getting an upgrade

Discus and support OS/2 – Yes, THAT OS/2 – is getting an upgrade in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; There are some technologies that just refuse to die, kept alive and kicking by a small but very devoted and enthusiastic cluster of users. The Amiga is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Slugger, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Slugger Win User

OS/2 – Yes, THAT OS/2 – is getting an upgrade

There are some technologies that just refuse to die, kept alive and kicking by a small but very devoted and enthusiastic cluster of users. The Amiga is one such example, still running more than 20 years after the last Amiga rolled off the lines.

Also still kicking is OS/2, IBM's last stab at a competing operating system to Windows, which the company abandoned in 1996 after its fourth and final major release, known as OS/2 Warp. An organization called Arca Noae not only continues development of the OS but also offers support to companies still using OS/2.

read more here http://www.networkworld.com/article/...n-upgrade.html

:)

Slugger, Nov 12, 2015
  2. os-2 Win User

Display became too dark after installing Fall Creators Update

With my LG 24MP56 same Problem. The only way to fix it, was to roll-back the Display driver to "Generic PnP Monitor".

Greetings from Dresden/ Germany and Merry Christmas OS/2 – Yes, THAT OS/2 – is getting an upgrade :)

3. 2 HDD, 2 OS, current installation pattern not optimal, preliminary actions unsuccessful, proposed action, opinions sought, any better approach?

CONFIGURATION

On my PC, I have two hard drives: Western Digital SATA 1 TB, and Seagate SATA 160 GB. Western Digital was installed in Sep 2013 when this PC was built, and we have yet to see how long it lasts. Seagate is much older, probably Dec 2007 when the earlier PC was
    built and it has served well for 8 years now. However, the limitation is its small storage capacity.

Western Digital has 32-bit OS, x64-based processor but its effectiveness is limited by low utilization of memory, 3.4 GB of 8 GB installed.

Seagate has 64-bit OS, x64-based architecture but its effectiveness is limited by low free space availability, 11 GB as of now, which can get occupied very soon. Hence, there could be a need to install 64-bit OS on 1 TB HDD and 32-bit OS on 160 GB HDD.

ACTION TAKEN

Using Macrium Reflect (free edition), and Seagate Backup +BL 500 GB Portable hard disk--

(1) (a) created a clone of Seagate 64-bit system on Seagate Portable by overwriting it; (b) restarted the computer, and (c) attempted to boot from the cloned 64-bit system on Seagate Portable, but Windows reported an error "inaccessible boot drive"

(2) (a) created a clone of Seagate 32-bit system on Seagate Portable by overwriting it; (b) restarted the computer, and (c) attempted to boot from the cloned 32-bit system on Seagate Portable, but Windows reported an error "inaccessible boot drive"

PROPOSED ACTION

(1) clean install 8.1 x64 on larger drive Western Digital, activate it, and upgrade it to Windows 10; resulting in 64-bit Win 10 installation with full utilization of 8 GB RAM and 800 GB free space

(2) clean install 7 x86 on smaller drive Seagate, activate it, and upgrade it to Windows 10; resulting in 32-bit Win 10 installation with part utilization of 3.4 GB RAM and 11 GB free space

FURTHER

Use 1 TB Western Digital with 64-bit installation and full utilization of installed RAM for day-to-day operations

Keep 160 GB Seagate with 32-bit installation and part utilization of installed RAM on standby, in case something goes wrong with Western Digital drive

OPINIONS SOUGHT / QUESTION

Whether I should only change Western Digital current 32-bit installation to 64-bit new installation, and leave Seagate 32-bit installation as it is? Or, change OS on both drives as enumerated above? Or, a third option that you may want to suggest?

PS——————————————

The following information is being provided as additional clarification to what has already been stated above.

At present, when I boot my computer I get three/four options:

(a) Boot from Windows 10 (volume 5) [note: Vol 5 ≡ 32 bit, Western Digital 1TB]

(b) Boot from Windows 10 (volume 2) [note: Vol 2 ≡ 64 bit, Seagate 1TB]

(c) Boot from Windows 7 (recovered)

(d) Select the default from above three

mr-live-in, Nov 12, 2015
  4. Almighty1 Win User

Saw that the other day, does it only support Windows software made for 3.0 and earlier or does it support newer ones? *Wink

Almighty1, Nov 12, 2015
  5. Slugger Win User
    I was running OS/2 until I had problems running my kids program. Then I changed to Windows. It has been 20 years. wow

Slugger, Nov 13, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    I recall running OS/2 at work years ago. Very nice OS IMO. *Smile

BunnyJ, Nov 13, 2015
  7. Almighty1 Win User
    It was a real time OS but seemed like software ran better under Windows so I went that route instead. Ofcourse Windows NT 4.0 on a DEC Alpha AXP was slow compared to the x86 platform. Remembered the old jokes... OS/2 = 1/2 a OS and NT = New Trash. QNX was a nice OS too.

Almighty1, Nov 13, 2015
  8. OS/2 – Yes, THAT OS/2 – is getting an upgrade

Now is eComstation still a going concern? Serenity Systems was licensed the OS/2 operating system to incorporate into their workplace system product (basically repackaging OS/2 as a corporate OS with modern day additions)

Jody Thornton, Nov 13, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    I'm running OS/2 Warp in a Oracle VM. Ugly as sin and pretty useless any more but it runs! I worked in OS/2 support for several years so it still has a piece of my heart. Back in those days MS was the "Evil Empire" *Smile and IBM had no idea how to sell or support a PC based OS.

I'll have to take a look at the Arca Noae offering.

Ztruker, Nov 13, 2015
  10. Seems like Blue Lion is just another eComStation if you ask me. It would be good if they added WLAN support, which I recall was still missing in eComStation.

I will tell you though, eComstation, whether on bare metal or VM is a slow OS. Windows may have been inferior back in the 1990s, but it has really come along and is much more intuitive now than OS/2 ever was. I loved OS/2 then, but trying out Warpzilla (Firefox for OS/2) was painful as a browsing experience. It's been difficult to drum up developer support, and many are pulling out.

Remember, both eComstation and Blue Lion are based on Warp release 4 with external code added for DVD and USB support. It would be like making additions to Windows NT 4.0 so that you could run USB, DVD-ROM, multi-core CPUs (all without access to the source code). You'd have to build improvements around it.

Jody Thornton, Nov 13, 2015
  11. fireberd Win User
    We had OS/2 running at work in a LAN/WAN Network Control and help desk site. We used IBM's Token Ring for the LANs and used IBM's "LAN Network Manager" to manage and monitor the LANs, which required OS/2. We ran OS/2 on a 486 CPU system and a couple of PS/2 PC's.

fireberd, Nov 13, 2015
  12. Antilope Win User
    I remember installing OS/2 in the late 1990's. It was on something like 25 3.5-inch floppies. Around the same time, I remember replacing it with Windows 95.

Antilope, Nov 13, 2015
  13. CountMike New Member

I don't recall having any warm feelings about OS/2, not even for Warp but it looks like that Retro is modern now, expecting an Edsel in modernized version soon.
    I might try this one as a part of my winter sports plan.

CountMike, Nov 14, 2015
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    The only reason I have any warm fuzzy feelings for it is due to the fact it was different when I used it at work.

BunnyJ, Nov 14, 2015
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

OS/2 was a REAL multi-tasking OS back in those days while Windows was cheaper but worked. IBM though was totally uninterested in the HOME PC market and the rest is history.

IBM tried to hobble Ms (the upstart company at the time) by copyrighting its BIOS (which was actually BASIC !!). Ms had to do some clever design to get its own OS (Ms-DOS) to work without infringing IBM's copyright.

However Ms eventually succeeded with a fairly stable version of Windows (3.0) which ran on top of Ms DOS. The real corporate breakthrough came with Windows 3.1 and 3.11 (called Windows for Workgroups) which at the time worked OK.

The mega disaster was WINDOWS NT ( NEANDERTHAL or NO THANKS) we called it -- to get anything to work was the ultimate pain, Fortunately Windows 2000 and possibly the best OS Ms wrote Windows server 2003 (W2K3 server) cleaned up the rest of corporate networks and small businesses.

IBM is now primarily a service company with a few labs around the place --- amazing how things have changed in not such a long space of time.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 14, 2015
Thema:

1. OS/2 – Yes, THAT OS/2 – is getting an upgrade - Similar Threads - – Yes –

2. 2 OS besides Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2 OS besides Windows 10: I have 2 OS besides Windows 10 on the startup screen, I can't delete them, and I already followed the tutorial using ms config and it still didn't work. some one can help me please?...
  3. 2 OS besides Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 OS besides Windows 10: I have 2 OS besides Windows 10 on the startup screen, I can't delete them, and I already followed the tutorial using ms config and it still didn't work. some one can help me please?...
  4. Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?: Ok, so my Windows 10 gaming tower took a **** and I removed the hard drive. I then bought a Windows 11 gaming tower and I want to install the windows 10 hard drive as a 2nd OS for a duel boot as there are some things I can't do with windows 11 that I can with 10 like use my...
  5. Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?

Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?: Ok, so my Windows 10 gaming tower took a **** and I removed the hard drive. I then bought a Windows 11 gaming tower and I want to install the windows 10 hard drive as a 2nd OS for a duel boot as there are some things I can't do with windows 11 that I can with 10 like use my...
  6. Migrate OS to M.2 nvme

Migrate OS to M.2 nvme: I am interested in migrating Windows 10 on my old gaming desktop to M.2 nvme to increase boot speeds. The migration seems straight forward but my question involves the software already installed on the current C drive. Will I have to uninstall the software and re-install it...
  7. Migrate OS to M.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrate OS to M.2 nvme: I am interested in migrating Windows 10 on my old gaming desktop to M.2 nvme to increase boot speeds. The migration seems straight forward but my question involves the software already installed on the current C drive. Will I have to uninstall the software and re-install it...
  8. 2 HDD In one PC WITH 2 Different OS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2 HDD In one PC WITH 2 Different OS: I have two HDDs, one with license Vista and one with License Windows 10 , can I use them both in same pc and choose whatever OS and HHD I can use? If yes how to do that?...
  9. OS/2 desktop style

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OS/2 desktop style: Is there any way you can get the OS / 2 desktop style with the icon text to the right of the icons? submitted by /u/Spedalski [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hnekvo/os2_desktop_style/
  10. Can a GPU run on 2 OS?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Can a GPU run on 2 OS?: If I have a graphics card installed in my laptop and 2 operating system, would it run on both?