Windows 10: OS Backup with nothing but external HDDs

Discus and support OS Backup with nothing but external HDDs in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 machine where the OS is installed on an external HDD. Does Microsoft have a tool available to do external to external backups for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ThomasMartin_41, Jun 30, 2020.

1. OS Backup with nothing but external HDDs

I have a Windows 10 machine where the OS is installed on an external HDD. Does Microsoft have a tool available to do external to external backups for the OS?

:)

ThomasMartin_41, Jun 30, 2020

2. Windows 10 OS files and System backup files on a same external HDD

Hello there,

I have windows 10 OS setup on my external HDD

Due to a problem i need to reinstall the OS, and as i already have 550GB of files and folders on my laptop...

As it is a HP laptop i hv backed my necessary files which cm around 255GB and i hv saved the backup on the same External HDD where my Windows 10 setup files are present...
    But the setup/boot files are separate and the backup folder is separate.

Now I would like to clean my laptop using Command prompt (disk clean/format)
    My question is, if i do so and den start the installation, Will it get installed ?

If it gets installed, will my backup folder remain safe there in the same external HDD?
    Thanks in advance...

Kindly respond...
    Shuaib Ahmed Khan

Shuaib Khan13, Jun 30, 2020
  3. bigscale Win User
    external hdd

my question is if you have two os on your pc like windows 98 and xp , can you backup files for both on a external hdd. is it possible or necessary to format the external drive for ntfs and fat 32 on seperate partitions.

bigscale, Jun 30, 2020
  4. OS Backup with nothing but external HDDs

No access to external HDD

Just over a week ago I posted the below problem of inability to access my external HDD. I had one response from someone who asked me to send a mailshot of my Disk Management. This failed on my first attempt but was successful on the second. Despite
    sending him/her a reminder I have heard nothing further. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SEND A POSSIBLE SOLUTION AS I CANNOT DO ANY BACKUPS!

I have Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 and use Macrium Reflect for my scheduled backups

to an external HDD housed in a caddy. Recently the backups have failed four times

due to an error "the semaphore timeout period has expired". Despite trying various

suggestions to fix from Google - no luck! Now I have no access to my external HDD

as the drive cannot be seen in ‎File Explorer. Your help for a fix will be greatly

appreciated.

Peternosmas, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

OS Backup with nothing but external HDDs

1. OS Backup with nothing but external HDDs - Similar Threads - Backup nothing external

2. Backup Windows 10 OS only USB stick and/or external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup Windows 10 OS only USB stick and/or external drive: Hi,I have some questions:1. How can I backup my Windows 10 OS only? Can I put it on a usb stick 32gb and external ssd?2. Can I still use my usb stick/ssd where I put the bakcup OS?3. Is the backup OS plug and play I don't know the correct term or is it an installer?4. How do...
  3. Increasing performance of External HDDs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Increasing performance of External HDDs: I have a lot of external HDD. mostly for backups, data transfer. Noticed after getting a new Easystore drive, it had issues reconginizing on windows 10, with the 4 port hub USB2. Until I plugged it into a front PC port, USB3. Then I received a refurbished Non-powered WD...
  4. HDDs

HDDs: dose windows 10 changes the HDD from MBR to GBT or vise versa automatically, if so is it wipe it out or the data still there? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdds/be966c48-b80c-4b05-b8d0-56fedab7e10e
  5. External HDDs getting hot.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External HDDs getting hot.: Recently I re arranged my external HDDs. and for some reason they show up on Hard Disc Sentinal as running around 52c. I can explain what all the HDDs are for , but currently I have 7 external and 5 internal, 4 USB hubs. To narrow problem down I will mention the problem I...
  6. External HDDs unmounting itself !

External HDDs unmounting itself !: I have windows 10 home and a laptop DELL 7720 My problem : External HDDs unmount itself after new booting in a short time ! 10 minutes ok the funtion and then they are vanishing and you can't back them with an unplug /plug action...
  7. Win10 Backup using 2 HDDs in addition to C:

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 Backup using 2 HDDs in addition to C:: How do I use a second spare HDD as second backup? I have learnt not to rely on one backup HDD. *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  8. Switching off external HDDs in latest Win10 1803

Switching off external HDDs in latest Win10 1803: After the upgrade to RedStone 4 , I found it very difficult to shut-down ( switch off) of my external HDDs . When clicking on "safe remove" in the taskbar , I often get " still in use " ! I wonder ; in use , by what ........!! Only reboot allows a safely remove of this HDDs...
  9. No external HDDs recognised since restoring acronis true image backup

No external HDDs recognised since restoring acronis true image backup: Had some issues with my PC with user profile, so restored a 3 day old acronis true image backup. now none of my external HDDs are recognised, by Windows or Aome hdd manager either. USB pens are ok. hope there is a simple solution, desperately need to get this working...
  10. File History with 2 external HDDs

in Windows 10 Support
    File History with 2 external HDDs: I currently do File History with 1 external HDD as everyone else does. I have a spare external HDD that is just gathering dust. I wonder if I could do File History with 2 external HDDs? Will I run into trouble if I did? The idea is that I could do File History with the 2...