Windows 10: OS Boot Selection Screen

Discus and support OS Boot Selection Screen in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there reader/expert, More a question than an actual problem. I have a dual boot system with both 8.1x64 and 10x64 on my 240GB SSD and I always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AzzKickr, Jan 22, 2018.

1. AzzKickr Win User

OS Boot Selection Screen

Hi there reader/expert,

More a question than an actual problem. I have a dual boot system with both 8.1x64 and 10x64 on my 240GB SSD and I always used to have a nice boot selection screen in blue, like on the right side of the picture (something I grabbed from the inet). When I selected "8.1" as the OS to boot, the system would restart and then boot into 8.1

Recently however I've been getting an ugly DOS-like one, like on the left side of the picture. It does have the benefit of instantly booting to 8.1 when I select it, without restarting the whole machine. But I'm curious as to why I'm suddenly seeing this behavior ? Where did my nice blue screen go to ?

OS Boot Selection Screen [​IMG]

:)

AzzKickr, Jan 22, 2018

2. Colour Windows 10 dual boot OS selection screen

Hello. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I have a dual boot system on my main computer with Windows 10 and Windows 7. I did this a few months ago and it is working well. When I installed it, I remember it choked a bit before it started to work.
    The screen that comes up first with a selection of operating systems has always been black with simple white typing on it. Recently I saw that a friend's computer has a nice blue coloured screen with OS options accompanied by a picture. Does anyone know how
    I can get Windows to give me this nice pre-startup screen? I don't want to risk causing a malfunction by fooling around with it, but the colour screen would be nice. Any ideas?

Thanks,

gordoncanada, Jan 22, 2018
  3. Colour Windows 10 dual boot OS selection screen

Hi,

As you have a dual boot, with Windows 10 installed successfully. I would like to inform you that, under the boot section option were system is booted with preference is normal with the default background screen as black. If at all the background screen
    during the boot option is of different color, which would be set by the manufacturer.

So if you prefer a different background color for the boot section, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of booting the operating system to desktop for further assistance. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Jan 22, 2018
  4. Ztruker Win User

OS Boot Selection Screen

Ztruker, Jan 23, 2018
  5. Steve C Win User
    I initially had the Windows 7 text based multi-boot display but changed it within Windows 10 using this command for the UK locale bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-gb

The Windows 7 multi-boot menu does have the advantage that you boot directly to the selected OS rather than going through a full restart cycle using the Windows 10 boot menu. Why does the Windows 10 boot menu have this long winded behavior?

Steve C, Jan 23, 2018
  6. AzzKickr Win User
    Many thanks ! I indeed had some problems in searching for the correct terminology to locate the solution, hence this forum post. So kudos for helping me out in that regard. Applied the solution from the link and issue instantly solved.

However, I too am intrigued as to why the functionality of both menus differ ? The text-line based one indeed seems way more practical ?

AzzKickr, Jan 23, 2018
  7. Ztruker Win User
    Practical yes, but it's ugly. I prefer the nicer looking blue graphical menu.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

OS Boot Selection Screen

1. OS Boot Selection Screen - Similar Threads - Boot Selection Screen

2. Windows - Laptop boot up screen/OS selection screen not showing on external monitor

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows - Laptop boot up screen/OS selection screen not showing on external monitor: I have extrernal monitors connected to my laptop. I have it setup so that when the laptop's lid is closed, I can still use it as normal through the use of a keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. When it comes to starting the laptop up after shutting it down, I have to open up the...
  3. Blue screen with winload.efi error after multi-boot black OS selection screen Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Blue screen with winload.efi error after multi-boot black OS selection screen Windows 10: I added a new M2 drive to my computer that uses multi-boot all Windows 10 on the drives. When I choose to boot from the new drive, I get a blue screen saying that something couldn't load and a path points to winload.efi. A strange thing is that if I go into repair mode and...
  4. Reboot and select proper boot media in selected boot device

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Reboot and select proper boot media in selected boot device: Title says it all. I just installed a new ssd drive and loaded W10 on it. All was working fine; W10 rebooted several times did updates rebooted and all was OK. I got to work connecting other drives and put case back together and then the no boot. I disconnected the other...
  5. Remove Select boot device screen

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Remove Select boot device screen: Please can you help with my trouble when it appeared as screen shot? It stops my laptop start automatically. Thank you for your support.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-select-boot-device-screen/0df7f08f-6a72-4e0f-bed7-ecef830d7d5e"
  6. Multi OS boot screen issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multi OS boot screen issue: Hi, I have 3 OS on 1 Disk Drive (3partitions), 2x w8.1pro 64bit (not activated) & w10pro 64bit (activated). normally ok but the boot screen did not show & the pc booted into the latest installation, w10. I fixed this by changing setting the default in System Configuration &...
  7. OS selection menu not showing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    OS selection menu not showing: I have windows 10 along with windows 7 installed. The problem is that it never shows the os selection menu and always boots into windows 10, never windows 7. When i change system configuration a little (for example, changing time for wich menu is shown) it shows again for...
  8. Dual boot encryption at OS selection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dual boot encryption at OS selection: I have two ssd's both with Windows 10. I have it set to boot to OS selection. I want to encrypt both ssd's separately so that when I choose one OS or the other that is when I have to enter the password. So far I have use bitlocker to encrypt one drive but it requires me to...
  9. Boot Select Screen?

Boot Select Screen?: Hi I've got Windows 10 all installed and running in a dual boot setup with Windows 8, no problems so far. But I'd like to have a boot select screen when I turn on my computer as I did when I was dual booting Windows 7 and 8. I can boot to Widows 8 by hitting F8 and...
  10. Can't remove orphaned OS from msconfig, still shows Selective Boot

Can't remove orphaned OS from msconfig, still shows Selective Boot: This morning, I turned on my laptop and noticed it hung on the black screen for too long. I pressed the enter key, and the login screen finally popped up. Thinking it was a temporary issue, I rebooted it to check it out. Alas, I have to keep pressing the enter key whenever...