Windows 10: OS C Drive wont let me delete files with disk cleanup

Discus and support OS C Drive wont let me delete files with disk cleanup in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; [img] [img] Ive ran into an issue with the C drive as im trying to free up space I can select different file folders but when i click delete it does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Derek2332, May 2, 2019.

1. Derek2332 Win User

OS C Drive wont let me delete files with disk cleanup

OS C Drive wont let me delete files with disk cleanup [​IMG]

OS C Drive wont let me delete files with disk cleanup [​IMG]

Ive ran into an issue with the C drive as im trying to free up space I can select different file folders but when i click delete it does absolutely nothing ive also noticed i can delete manually but id rather not because when its deleted from C drive but the same file is on another it will delete it there aswell any help would be greatly appreciated

:)

Derek2332, May 2, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

disk cleanup

Hi joysoder, to properly and safely delete any files not required by your system, run Disk Cleanup twice as explained below. Each time select everything in the list and delete them. Disk Cleanup will not suggest deleting anything that is not safe to delete
    . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

DaveM121, May 2, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    In Disk Cleanup, should I delete Thumbnails?

Hi Marcia

The correct way to run disk cleanup is explained below, you need to run it twice and yes, delete everything suggested by Disk Cleanup:

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Start Disk Cleanup again

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

DaveM121, May 2, 2019
  4. OS C Drive wont let me delete files with disk cleanup

DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, May 2, 2019
Thema:

OS C Drive wont let me delete files with disk cleanup

1. OS C Drive wont let me delete files with disk cleanup - Similar Threads - Drive wont let

2. In Disk Cleanup utility, does deleting "File History" delete any documents in C hard drive?...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    In Disk Cleanup utility, does deleting "File History" delete any documents in C hard drive?...: In Disk Cleanup utility, does deleting "File History" delete any documents in C hard drive? I have not signed up for OneDrive. A few files have disappeared, now & then, from C....
  3. C: Drive disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    C: Drive disk cleanup: I've always had much bigger drives than this computer gives me on C drive.... what do I need to do to clean/clear space? What it shows in the picture is apparently the default setting. Should I change it? BTW, my D drive is a terabyte. [img] [img] 154387
  4. Disk cleanup doesn't compress OS drive

Disk cleanup doesn't compress OS drive: I have an ASUS tablet with a 64 GB SSD drive. It is running out of space. When I do disk cleanup, it offers to compress my OS drive, potentially saving 13 GB. I have run the utility a number of times, and it doesn't do anything. It often doesn't even delete files from the...
  5. OS C Drive wont let me delete files with disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Support
    OS C Drive wont let me delete files with disk cleanup: [img] [img] Ive ran into an issue with the C drive as im trying to free up space I can select different file folders but when i click delete it does absolutely nothing ive also noticed i can delete manually but id rather not because when its deleted from C drive but the...
  6. COMPRESSING OS DRIVE NOT WORKING ON DISK CLEANUP

COMPRESSING OS DRIVE NOT WORKING ON DISK CLEANUP: I need more space to update windows, the disk clean up offers me more than enough space if I compress my OS drive but it will not compress the drive and I am continually unable to update windows 10. No matter what I do there is not enough space on my basic hard drive, only...
  7. Remove "Compress OS Drive" and "Downloaded files" from Disk Cleanup

Remove "Compress OS Drive" and "Downloaded files" from Disk Cleanup: Is this the right place for suggestions? Recently, Microsoft added two really not-well-thought-out features to Disk Cleanup which is Compress OS Drive and Downloaded files. I shouldn't have to explain why these are both bad ideas. Compress OS drive saves little space and...
  8. Disk Cleanup (compress OS drive) problem

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup (compress OS drive) problem: Hi guys and gurus. Been giving my self yet another headache :/ Ran disk cleanup this evening, something I don't do as often as I should and discovered the 'compress OS drive' issue. Only as per usual only after it was too late. Selected to delete this thinking it was some...
  9. Disk Cleanup (compress OS drive) problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Cleanup (compress OS drive) problem: Hi guys and gurus. Been giving my self yet another headache :/ Ran disk cleanup this evening, something I don't do as often as I should and discovered the 'compress OS drive' issue. Only as per usual only after it was too late. Selected to delete this thinking it was some...
  10. compress os drive -disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    compress os drive -disk cleanup: hello i have an option to compress my os(c)(solid state) drive which saves me 21Gb how does this work could any issues arise from doing it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compress-os-drive-disk-cleanup/bf92056b-bbb1-45b7-907a-ccd3f949213a