Windows 10: OS drive crashed without a backup/boot

Discus and support OS drive crashed without a backup/boot in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, my Wife's OS SSD drive crashed and appears to be dead. I've put it in a different computer without any success. She can't find or didn't have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Samphoto, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Samphoto Win User

OS drive crashed without a backup/boot

Hi, my Wife's OS SSD drive crashed and appears to be dead. I've put it in a different computer without any success. She can't find or didn't have a recovery drive and we don't know where the Win10 install USB drive is for her computer. I have one for mine but the product key of course will not work on her computer.

How do I get her back up and running? I can install using my USB from MSFT but we don't have her product key and I have no way to recover one at this point as the drive it was on is kaput . Do we need to purchase a new win10 lic?

:)

Samphoto, Feb 7, 2020
  2. little cat, Feb 7, 2020
  3. Geekoid Win User
    Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Feb 7, 2020
  4. Saltgrass Win User

Windows backup saying a drive is a system drive when it is not.

The terminology can get a little confusing. Microsoft uses the term "system" drive as the one containing the boot files. The OS drive is labeled as "Boot" drive.

A Windows 7 backup operation will backup all critical partitions. In your case, with a Legacy install, probably the System reserved partition and the OS partition. If another partition has been added by Windows, it could be involved.

As suggested, a picture would clear things up.

Saltgrass, Feb 7, 2020
Thema:

1. OS drive crashed without a backup/boot - Similar Threads - drive crashed without

2. Drive, Boot, & OS Install Issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Drive, Boot, & OS Install Issues: Just bought my daughter a new laptop (Acer 5 Aspire). I've already exited S mode and now would like to take the 256GB SSD from her old HP laptop and install it in the Aspire as the boot drive instead of the installed 128GB PCIe NVMe SSD which I'll leave in place. The current...
  3. Can I transfer files without booting into the OS?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I transfer files without booting into the OS?: So I have windows 10 installed on my MacBook but there’s an issue with boot camp where it won’t boot and to fix it I’ll have to reinstall windows. However, can still access all of the windows files in macOS. Is there any way I can copy them and use them to make my new windows...
  4. Hard drive crash with no backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard drive crash with no backup: Hard drive crash on PC with no backup. Do I need to buy a new license key for Windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-crash-with-no-backup/a8309843-ad58-4a8a-8580-9641a8fe07fa
  5. Unable to boot without flash drive

Unable to boot without flash drive: I have install window 10 pro 64 bit through flash drive and now without the flash drive window doesn't boot up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-boot-without-flash-drive/76912778-d715-4e69-95ad-2d5c5d164c33
  6. Computer crashed and cant boot into os

Computer crashed and cant boot into os: Was playing Ark and the computer crashed, showing DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. Restarted on it's own and would continually crash with several BOS. KMODE EXECUTION NOT HANDLED PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGE AREA KERNEL MODE KEEP CORRUPTION SYSTEM THREAD EXECUTION SYSTEM SERVICE...
  7. [Solved] Moving my OS drive to backup system.

[Solved] Moving my OS drive to backup system.: My current system is no longer usable. The PCI-E slot on it is malfunctioning and aside from just browsing the net I can't do anything lest the system either freezes or crushes. I have an old computer that works just fine as my backup system. I thought of moving my OS drive...
  8. Moving my OS drive to backup system.

Moving my OS drive to backup system.: My current system is no longer usable. The PCI-E slot on it is malfunctioning and aside from just browsing the net I can't do anything lest the system either freezes or crushes. I have an old computer that works just fine as my backup system. I thought of moving my OS drive...
  9. Applying a backup without an OS running

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Applying a backup without an OS running: Hey all, I have managed to run into a problem that I needed some help with addressing in order to not lose my data. To give a bit of background, my laptop has 2 internal hard drives, 1 is my main/primary drive which I used for day to day operation and the other was just a...
  10. How to fully backup Windows 10 hard drive without having to boot from?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to fully backup Windows 10 hard drive without having to boot from?: I'm trying to figure out a free safe accurate way to completely back up a Windows 10 hard drive using a CD or DVD without having to boot into the OS. Is anyone aware of the best ways to do this? Basically if I wipe the drive, I want to be able to completely restore it....