Windows 10: OS drive is formatted to GPT, but still can't boot in UEFI mode

Discus and support OS drive is formatted to GPT, but still can't boot in UEFI mode in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Pretty much the title, I formatted my SSD to GPT but I can only boot in legacy mode instead of UEFI. If I try to boot in UEFI it loads forever. If I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Evan123123, Nov 27, 2021.

1. OS drive is formatted to GPT, but still can't boot in UEFI mode

Pretty much the title, I formatted my SSD to GPT but I can only boot in legacy mode instead of UEFI. If I try to boot in UEFI it loads forever. If I boot in CSM it tries to repair it and I have to boot from hard drive. Then it tries to boot and gets a 0x000000f error. Then I restart and then it boots properly.my specs are1070ti32gb ramSanDisk Ultra 2 480gbRyzen 5 2600

:)

Evan123123, Nov 27, 2021

2. GPT vs MBR for SSD OS Disk ? (win7 install)

So

I've got a new PC coming and this time it's the first time I will be using UEFI, i have read all the big stuff but I don't have the hardware yet so It's still kind of half baked but I'll do dig deep into it once I start building in the coming days.

I've read the win7 install guides, MS GPT FAQs (not fully yet), etc,

But I wish to know if:

I can use UEFI as an upgraded bios without having to use GPT disk format?

GPT disks can have any sort of partition cloning for full operational OS backup ?

Will GPT format improve performance on SDD or improve reliability in terms of data integrity or error rate?

When isntalling win7 with MBR but using UEFI, will it work normally without needing to uefi-boot the window7 install?

If I cannot backup my OS in a 100% clone that will boot normally when recovered, i will probably not use GPT, that shit is a step backward.

RuskiSnajper, Nov 27, 2021
  3. 850EVO Legacy mode or other M.2 SSD with UEFI

UEFI requires GPT. If you set the BIOS to UEFI boot and try to boot an existing install that it not UEFI/GPT, it will fail to boot.

In terms of the storage media, GPT/MBR/UEFI/legacy does not matter. It's during the formatting/OS install when that decision is made. So, no drive is worth returning to get UEFI because the drive isn't at fault.

Try turning off the fast boot options. They can cause all kinds of problems.

Also make sure you have the Windows 7/Windows 8 options correctly set when installing Windows.

FordGT90Concept, Nov 27, 2021
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

OS drive is formatted to GPT, but still can't boot in UEFI mode

Windows won't install on GPT formatted drive.

I had an HP laptop that had what I called hybrid UEFI. It had limited support for UEFI booting in that it would only boot the HP support tools as UEFI. The hard drive had to remain MBR partitioned, though, and the OS had to boot in legacy BIOS mode. I do not know if that applies to your ASUS laptop or not.

What are you attempting to install Windows 10 from? In order to install Windows 10 in UEFI mode onto a GPT partitioned drive, the Windows 10 installation media must be booting in UEFI mode as well. This is how to prepare a USB flash drive for booting. Note to format the partition on the flash drive as FAT32 to make it compatible with both legacy BIOS and UEFI:
    Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive

9. To format the partition, type format fs=fat32 quick, and then click ENTER.

For step 12 of the above procedure you will mount the downloaded Windows 10 ISO file and just copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

The flash drive created above will be bootable with both legacy BIOS and UEFI. To make the flash drive bootable ONLY in UEFI mode, skip step 10 of the procedure which marks the USB flash drive partition as active. You can toggle the active flag with diskpart (and third party partition apps). Active flag on - bootable by legacy BIOS or UEFI. No active flag - bootable by UEFI only.

1. Open Command Prompt (Admin).
    2. Type: diskpart
    3. At the DISKPART prompt, type: list disk (This command will list all the disks that you have)
    4. In the next prompt, type: select disk # ( # means the number of the disk which contain the wrong active partition )
    5. At the DISKPART prompt, type: list partition
    6. Use the command: select partition # (# means the number of the partition that you want to mark as active or not active)
    7. Inactive the active partition with command: inactive
    7a. To mark the partition as active, use the command: active

So, I would create the USB flash drive using the procedure above listed in the link to the Microsoft Technet, but skip step 10 - do not mark the partition as active. Then try to boot the computer from the USB flash drive. If your BIOS is not UEFI, then you will either get an error - no boot device, or you will get just a blinking cursor in the upper left corner of a black screen. In that case, mark the USB flash drive partition as Active and format your SSD with MBR partitioning.

NavyLCDR, Nov 27, 2021
Thema:

OS drive is formatted to GPT, but still can't boot in UEFI mode

1. OS drive is formatted to GPT, but still can't boot in UEFI mode - Similar Threads - drive formatted GPT

2. PCIE SSD not seen in the OS after converting boot Drive to GPT format and booting UFEI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PCIE SSD not seen in the OS after converting boot Drive to GPT format and booting UFEI: I have a PCIE SSD it is seen both by the bios and the OS if I boot UFEI With CSM on off of a Disk initalized as MBR. If I run MBR2GPT and convert my disk to GPT change my Boot to be now the windows bootloader and either leave CSM on or turn it off it doesn't seem to matter...
  3. PCIE SSD not seen in the OS after converting boot Drive to GPT format and booting UFEI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PCIE SSD not seen in the OS after converting boot Drive to GPT format and booting UFEI: I have a PCIE SSD it is seen both by the bios and the OS if I boot UFEI With CSM on off of a Disk initalized as MBR. If I run MBR2GPT and convert my disk to GPT change my Boot to be now the windows bootloader and either leave CSM on or turn it off it doesn't seem to matter...
  4. PCIE SSD not seen in the OS after converting boot Drive to GPT format and booting UFEI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows still booting in Legacy BIOS mode instead of UEFI even when the disk is GPT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows still booting in Legacy BIOS mode instead of UEFI even when the disk is GPT: So I decided to convert my main SSD to GPT mode as I wanted to use UEFI booting, and I did that with EaseUS partition master. Problem is, the disk is converted to GPT, but Windows still boots in Legacy mode. The reason why I can still boot Windows is because I'm using CSM. My...
  6. Windows still booting in Legacy BIOS mode instead of UEFI even when the disk is GPT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows still booting in Legacy BIOS mode instead of UEFI even when the disk is GPT: So I decided to convert my main SSD to GPT mode as I wanted to use UEFI booting, and I did that with EaseUS partition master. Problem is, the disk is converted to GPT, but Windows still boots in Legacy mode. The reason why I can still boot Windows is because I'm using CSM. My...
  7. OS drive is formatted to GPT, but still can't boot in UEFI mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OS drive is formatted to GPT, but still can't boot in UEFI mode: Pretty much the title, I formatted my SSD to GPT but I can only boot in legacy mode instead of UEFI. If I try to boot in UEFI it loads forever. If I boot in CSM it tries to repair it and I have to boot from hard drive. Then it tries to boot and gets a 0x000000f error. Then I...
  8. OS drive is formatted to GPT, but still can't boot in UEFI mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    OS drive is formatted to GPT, but still can't boot in UEFI mode: Pretty much the title, I formatted my SSD to GPT but I can only boot in legacy mode instead of UEFI. If I try to boot in UEFI it loads forever. If I boot in CSM it tries to repair it and I have to boot from hard drive. Then it tries to boot and gets a 0x000000f error. Then I...
  9. Secure Boot State Unsupported with UEFI Bios and GPT Disk Formation.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Secure Boot State Unsupported with UEFI Bios and GPT Disk Formation.: Hello everyone. I am currently running Windows 10 Insider Build and have gotten the option to update to Windows 11 Insider Build but my PC is coming up with the error "This PC Can't Run Windows 11. This PC Must support Secure Boot.". This is very confusing because my PC is...
  10. drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI: I'm basically having a similar issue where I'm trying install a clean W10 onto my previous SSD and Win10 does see the drives and starts loading but stops whiting a few seconds stating that my drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI. Perform Diskpart...