Windows 10: OS migration tools

Discus and support OS migration tools in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I bought a new computer with Windows and wonder if there are some tools to move all of my settings, files and applications to a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by artemp00, Mar 14, 2016.

1. artemp00 Win User

OS migration tools

Hi everyone,

I bought a new computer with Windows and wonder if there are some tools to move all of my settings, files and applications to a new one.

Maybe someone has used any of applications which move all of these things?

I heard about PCmover, Zinstall, PCtrans, they are so different, which one to choose?

Thanks in advance!

:)

artemp00, Mar 14, 2016

2. Migrating Windows 10 to my SSD

I will be migrating windows 10 to my SSD using Acronis migration tool.

but before i do so, I just want to make sure of a few things

1. When i put my OS on the ssd, will i have to unplug my hdd or wipe it, cause i'm afraid it'll cause problems after migrating it.

2. Will i need to re-enter my windows 10 key after migrating it, I used the free upgrade from windows 7 to 10.

nickmyersTA, Mar 14, 2016
  3. Can i update my lumia 430 via pc using lumia recovary tools?

Hello,

It is not possible to update the OS with the recovery tools which, as its name implies, is meant to restore the latest working OS to your phone. Doing so completely erases whatever data is stored on your phone, whereas an upgrade will migrate your data.

Linley.

Linley Meslier, Mar 14, 2016
  4. OS migration tools

I'm sure people will have recommendations, but I don't trust anything like that. I would much rather perform a clean install on a new computer, knowing that I am installing the latest drivers and latest versions of my applications. There aren't many settings that need to be changed, so the entire process should take two hours or less, if you plan ahead. Well worth it, in my opinion, and gives you the best chance at a stable, efficient system.

DeaconFrost, Mar 14, 2016
  5. artemp00 Win User
    Thanks, DeaconFrost ,
    The point is that I'm also looking for some kind of deployment apps which could scan my old PC, collect the list of the apps, and then download them from the official websites and install on the new PC.

You know it's like in many companies when you need to deploy something you just upload the MSI file and then it installs on specified PCs. But this would be for home users.

artemp00, Mar 14, 2016
  6. There is software, Ninite, I think, that will reinstall a list of freeware apps, but it won't do all apps you might want. The time it would take to find and configure something like that would be far longer than just doing a usual clean install. I maintain a flash drive with the latest drivers and apps for my three systems. I update over time, so whenever I need or want to do a clean install, I'm ready to go.

DeaconFrost, Mar 14, 2016
  7. Whatphoeb Win User
    Unfortunately Windows Easy Transfer is not available in Windows 10, EaseUS has a product called Todo PC Trans. The company offers a free version, Todo PC Trans can transfer applications, music, pictures, and documents. what I like most is it support migrate OS without reinstall. Free PC transfer/migration software - EaseUS Todo PCTrans Free

Whatphoeb, Mar 15, 2016
  8. artemp00 Win User

OS migration tools

Free version supports up to 2 apps, I need more... and how can I move my files into the same partitions/folders on the new one?

artemp00, Mar 15, 2016
  9. AndreTen Win User
    You might also try Macrium reflect. They have free version (just google for it or download from Softpedia). Ver 6 (free) may be limited, but they also offer previous version.

I trust reviews and recommendations from Gizmo techsupport site - you can check their site for recommendation.
    best drive cloning software

AndreTen, Mar 15, 2016
  10. artemp00 Win User
    good idea but I don't want my main system located on a flash stick drive. I just want to have a new clean system and don't spend a lot of time installing all my apps

artemp00, Mar 15, 2016
  11. I'm not sure what you mean, but Macrium doesn't store your system on a flash drive. It creates a copy of the system and moves it to a new drive or computer. This will copy all of your programs, but it will also bring over all drivers as well. The time spent cleaning up (assuming you went to a new computer) could be spent doing the clean install.

Many people have said the same thing as you, until they actually do the clean install themselves. I don't understand the fear of it, or the thought that it takes "too long" to install all your programs. I'll say it again, that with a little planning, it can be a simple, quick process.

DeaconFrost, Mar 15, 2016
  12. AndreTen Win User
    Agree (mostly) with you. Drive imaging software is most useful as a backup (of a system), that you can implement if something goes wrong. Of course, one should do the imaging of the fresh installed system. Then you are up and running in a matter of minutes instead of hours.

AndreTen, Mar 15, 2016
  13. OS migration tools

Well, then you can try disk clone which will clone all stuff on your old hard drive, your OS, settings, apps and personal information, everything. And after the clone, you needn't to restore or something.
    Regards.

teresawang, Mar 16, 2016
  14. WHS
    whs Win User
    A clean install is by far the best solution. Anything you drag over from your old system also drags the old gremlins. Clean install actually sounds worse than it is. I setup a new system in appr. 2 hours.

15. Whatphoeb Win User
    Yes, Todo PCTrans Free will let you transfer only 2 applications – that can be a real dampener! hit up the Todo PCTrans user guide for step-by-step instructions.

Whatphoeb, Mar 16, 2016
Thema:

OS migration tools

1. OS migration tools - Similar Threads - migration tools

2. Troubleshooting free Share Point Migration Tool

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Troubleshooting free Share Point Migration Tool: Hi,I am using the free Sharepoint Migration Tool. It worked fine till Monday 18.12.2023. On Wednesday 20.12.2023 it shows an error:The program has problems during initialization. Please check your system environment again according to the troubleshooting...
  3. Troubleshooting free Share Point Migration Tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Troubleshooting free Share Point Migration Tool: Hi,I am using the free Sharepoint Migration Tool. It worked fine till Monday 18.12.2023. On Wednesday 20.12.2023 it shows an error:The program has problems during initialization. Please check your system environment again according to the troubleshooting...
  4. Drop box to SharePoint online migration without using third party tools

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drop box to SharePoint online migration without using third party tools: I want to migrate client environment from drop box to one drive without using third party tools. Can somebody guide me what free tools are available for the same also what is the other approach I can take through coding....
  5. Drop box to SharePoint online migration without using third party tools

Drop box to SharePoint online migration without using third party tools: I want to migrate client environment from drop box to one drive without using third party tools. Can somebody guide me what free tools are available for the same also what is the other approach I can take through coding....
  6. Drop box to SharePoint online migration without using third party tools

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. What is the best user migration tool?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the best user migration tool?: When reinstalling/replacing PC's or moving PC/user to Azure, we would like to be able to keep the users complete desktop experience somehow.When a user logs in to Azure, or onto a newly deployed PC, they start with spending hours attempting to set up things visually "the way...
  8. What is the best user migration tool?

What is the best user migration tool?: When reinstalling/replacing PC's or moving PC/user to Azure, we would like to be able to keep the users complete desktop experience somehow.When a user logs in to Azure, or onto a newly deployed PC, they start with spending hours attempting to set up things visually "the way...
  9. What is the best user migration tool?

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Is there a way to only migrate certain local users with User State Migration Tool?

Is there a way to only migrate certain local users with User State Migration Tool?: Is there a way to only migrate certain local users with User State Migration Tool?The only switch is /localonly but when migrating AD accounts you can specify specific accounts.Thanks...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. os migration tool