Windows 10: OS new a smaller ssd

Discus and support OS new a smaller ssd in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I want to know if there's any way I can transfer my OS from my 1tb HHD to my new 240gb SSD, if yes how do I do it and with which program, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Itz_Krystian, May 19, 2020.

1. OS new a smaller ssd

Hello, I want to know if there's any way I can transfer my OS from my 1tb HHD to my new 240gb SSD, if yes how do I do it and with which program, I don't want to delete all my files from my HHD as I don't have the best wifi connection and it would take me long to download all my games

:)

Itz_Krystian, May 19, 2020

2. how to migrate only the OS to a new SSD

hi

i gust got a new SSD

and i want to move my OS and only my OS over to it

so that i can boot from it.

if any one can give me a step by step guide to it that would be grate

some PC info

i have windows 10 64bit

the SSD is 120GB

mrhexeberg, May 19, 2020
  3. TekNacion Win User
    Windows 10 Image Restore to Smaller SSD

In my quest to find a solution to restore a system image of my Windows 10 installation to a smaller SSD I came across the following discussion:

Windows 7 System Image restore to smaller ssd

I was using 90GB of a 720GB HD. Using the Shrink process from Disk Management it was able to shrink to only 350GB. Not enough for the 256GB SSD I wanted to install. So, I used the GParted method and I was able to shrink the OS partition down to 100GB. But
    I was still unable to restore to the SSD.

The problem was that in my case my installation of Windows 10 had two other partitions other than the OS partition. The partitions were in the following order:

System Reserved + OS + System Recovery

After shrinking the OS partition the Unallocated space was between the OS partition and the System Recovery partition:

System Reserved + OS + Unallocated Space + System Recovery

When creating the system image only the three partitions (System Reserved + OS + System Recovery) were backed-up. But the problem seems to have been that the offsets were also included. This offset placed the System Recovery partition
    far behind the OS partition, making it not fit on the SSD when recovered.

The solution was to use GParted to move the Unallocated Space partition all the way to the end so that the 3 partitions are one after the other with no empty partition in between any of them. After successfully recovering the image to the smaller SSD I had
    to use GParted once more to move the Unallocated Space partition right after the OS partition in order to use Disk Management to Extend the OS partition into the Unallocated Space partition.

I hope this helps. I had to start a new discussion as the one I refer to was locked yesterday.

Thanks,

TekNacion, May 19, 2020
  4. Ivy336289 Win User

OS new a smaller ssd

how to migrate only the OS to a new SSD

to migrate os to SSD, you need a third-party tool. I recommend you AOMEI Partition Assistant. It offers you a feature called Migrate OS to SSD,
    which can help you transfer your os without effort.

before you start, you need to make sure the system partition on the old hard drive is smaller than or equal to 120GB. Also, you need to download AOMEI Partition Assistant.

then, see below.

1. launch AOMEI Partition Assistant

2. click Migrate os to SSD at the left panel

3. in the new window, click Next

4. select an unallocated space or a partition on your SSD

5. modify the information of your boot partition, including drive letter, size and position. then, click Next and Finish to back to the main page.

6. click Apply at the top left corner and Proceed to start the pending operation. then, just wait.

Ivy336289, May 19, 2020
Thema:

OS new a smaller ssd

1. OS new a smaller ssd - Similar Threads - smaller ssd

2. Can I separate and move the boot partition from an old HDD to a smaller HDD or SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I separate and move the boot partition from an old HDD to a smaller HDD or SSD?: I have a 3TB HDD that I have been using for many years, and it is starting to slow down. is there any way I can move my boot data onto a smaller HDD or SSD and keep my current HDD as a storage drive? all the guides online are talking about moving from one drive to another of...
  3. Can I separate and move the boot partition from an old HDD to a smaller HDD or SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I separate and move the boot partition from an old HDD to a smaller HDD or SSD?: I have a 3TB HDD that I have been using for many years, and it is starting to slow down. is there any way I can move my boot data onto a smaller HDD or SSD and keep my current HDD as a storage drive? all the guides online are talking about moving from one drive to another of...
  4. Selling PC. Want to reinstall Windows to smaller SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Selling PC. Want to reinstall Windows to smaller SSD: As the title suggests, I am selling an old laptop. The original SSD was a 120gb. I replaced it with a 500gb. Now, as I am selling the computer, I want to put the original 120gb back in with a clean copy of Windows 10 Home. With Microsoft being somewhat particular about it's...
  5. Selling PC. Want to reinstall Windows to smaller SSD

Selling PC. Want to reinstall Windows to smaller SSD: As the title suggests, I am selling an old laptop. The original SSD was a 120gb. I replaced it with a 500gb. Now, as I am selling the computer, I want to put the original 120gb back in with a clean copy of Windows 10 Home. With Microsoft being somewhat particular about it's...
  6. Selling PC. Want to reinstall Windows to smaller SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Transferring Windows to smaller NVME SSD from a bigger NVME SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring Windows to smaller NVME SSD from a bigger NVME SSD: So, I recently got a 500gb Samsung 980 Pro and I want to transfer Windows from my 1TB WD Blue to my new SSD. So I set it up and everything went well setting it up wise, until I looked up how to change the boot drive in my PC. For all of the scenarios they had a 1tb HDD then a...
  8. Transferring Windows to smaller NVME SSD from a bigger NVME SSD

Transferring Windows to smaller NVME SSD from a bigger NVME SSD: So, I recently got a 500gb Samsung 980 Pro and I want to transfer Windows from my 1TB WD Blue to my new SSD. So I set it up and everything went well setting it up wise, until I looked up how to change the boot drive in my PC. For all of the scenarios they had a 1tb HDD then a...
  9. How to upgrade 256 Sata SSD with a NvME 1 TB SSD and clone the existing smaller SSD to my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to upgrade 256 Sata SSD with a NvME 1 TB SSD and clone the existing smaller SSD to my...: Hello!I Have an Asus Laptop and I want to upgrade the SSD, I currently have installed a 1 TB HDD in the laptop and i'm wondering if its possible to clone the smaller SSD into the Hard Drive to install the new SSD. I've looked for many tutorials but I haven't found any case as...
  10. How to upgrade 256 Sata SSD with a NvME 1 TB SSD and clone the existing smaller SSD to my...

How to upgrade 256 Sata SSD with a NvME 1 TB SSD and clone the existing smaller SSD to my...: Hello!I Have an Asus Laptop and I want to upgrade the SSD, I currently have installed a 1 TB HDD in the laptop and i'm wondering if its possible to clone the smaller SSD into the Hard Drive to install the new SSD. I've looked for many tutorials but I haven't found any case as...