Windows 10: OS origin for Laptop or Windows 10

Discus and support OS origin for Laptop or Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My NE 522 came with Windows 8 64-bit but when I was informed that I could upgrade to Windows 10 for free I jumped on it. I remember having to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AFRet96, Dec 7, 2016.

1. AFRet96 Win User

OS origin for Laptop or Windows 10

My NE 522 came with Windows 8 64-bit but when I was informed that I could upgrade to Windows 10 for free I jumped on it. I remember having to stair-step to 8.1 then 10 during installation. Everything seemed to be fine for a few months then the BSOD. I managed to get it going again for a short time and now the Laptop is not operational. At startup I get the Gateway logo then a blue screen saying "Default boot device missing..." I get past this using the "recovery" stick I made just after purchase but I get "Choose keyboard layout" then "Troubleshoot or Turn off" as options. I have used the Troubleshoot Path to get to the command prompt. I also can get through POST and access the InsydeH20 startup utility (BIOS) which I use to unfreeze the HDD password (not sure why it keep freezing). Refresh, Reset, Restore and Automatic Repair all fail. From command prompt I access x:\Program Files <x86>> desktop.ini and see one HDD (Boot) with 27.6 MB free of 30.0 MB. I also see the Removable Storage devices.

The top of the command window says "Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]" Does this mean Windows is installed?
    If I have lost the OS how should I attempt to re-install, Win8 then upgrade or straight to Win10?

:)

AFRet96, Dec 7, 2016

2. Windows key recovery

Hi

Unfortunately local laptop repair shoper changed my laptop's Windows 10 genuine (original) OS to Fake Windows OS 8.1 not activated . I'm upgraded Windows 10 from windows 7 which is comes with my laptop when i buy it.

Is it any way to get back my genuine OS.

(In the back side of my laptop label something like key is it useful to get back my OS)

Please kindly inform to me..

BHAGATHchinna, Dec 7, 2016
  3. Laptop keyboard only works with on-screen keyboard activated...

Windows 10 version is 1709 (OS Build 16299.248). Not sure how to find original version, but Windows 10 was installed when the laptop was purchased.

RolandGilmore1, Dec 7, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

No need for Win8, you can go straight to a clean install of Windows 10. Your successful upgrade from 8 to 10 has recorded a Digital Licence tied to your PC's hardware on Microsoft's activation servers. Do a clean install of 10 (making sure you install the same version as you had before, Home or Pro) and when it asks for a key skip this with the 'I don't have one' or 'register later' option. Once installed your Digital Licence will automatically activate the new install.

Bree, Dec 7, 2016
  5. AFRet96 Win User
    My clean install has been running for 8 hours now and "Getting files ready.." is at 43%. Is this normal?*Huh

I have read through the 40 pages associated with the clean install procedures and did not see anyone having a extremely slow install.

AFRet96, Dec 9, 2016
  6. spunk Win User
    Hold the power button until the computer shuts off. Wait 15 seconds and power it back up. It will show the "Getting Files Ready" message again, but will shortly finish the installation.

spunk, Dec 9, 2016
  7. AFRet96 Win User
    this did finish some type of installation process but I now get the gateway logo then a blank black screen. I am going to try to "clean install" again.

AFRet96, Dec 9, 2016
  8. Bree New Member

Remove all unnecessary USB devices before you try again. Some have been known to cause an install to hang. You can reconnect them once the install is complete.

Bree, Dec 9, 2016
  9. AFRet96 Win User
    Thank you Bree. I heard a saying once that holds true for me at times, "some people need practical advice. My anxiousness clearly got the best of me so I rushed it and did not allow the process to finish.

I was able to use my "recovery usb stick" to get to cmd.exe. I will now clear the unlabeled primary partition and clean install again.

AFRet96, Dec 9, 2016
  10. AFRet96 Win User
    how do I select "license acceptance" if I have lost the ability to use a cursor?

AFRet96, Dec 9, 2016
  11. Fixer Win User
    Can't be 100% this works in 10 but try using Tab to highlight Accept and hit Enter.

Fixer, Dec 9, 2016
  12. Bree New Member
    Use the Tab key to move from one item to the next, when you have selected the one you want hit 'enter'.

13. spunk Win User

During installation you'll see an icon in the lower left of the screen for Accessibility to launch an on-screen keyboard.

spunk, Dec 9, 2016
  14. AFRet96 Win User
    Enter did not work but space-bar did check the box.

I let clean install run to the restart laptop (step 14 I think) but it will not boot from there. I get maker logo with circling dots and the dots freeze after a while.Decided to let the laptop remain on and doing whatever and it surprised me by showing progress. It indicates "Getting devices ready"

Since my original topic has been answered I am going to mark this thread as Solved.*Doh

AFRet96, Dec 11, 2016
  15. AFRet96 Win User
    I did not get an icon in the lower left corner. I tabbed to the selection point and pushing space-bar placed a check-mark in the box.

AFRet96, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. OS origin for Laptop or Windows 10 - Similar Threads - origin Laptop

2. Reverting to Original Windows Key on Laptop: Expired Windows Pro Key Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reverting to Original Windows Key on Laptop: Expired Windows Pro Key Issue: I have a laptop with built-in Windows. Initially, I applied a different Windows Pro key, but it's now expiring. How can I revert to using the original Windows key that came with the laptop?...
  3. Reverting to Original Windows Key on Laptop: Expired Windows Pro Key Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reverting to Original Windows Key on Laptop: Expired Windows Pro Key Issue: I have a laptop with built-in Windows. Initially, I applied a different Windows Pro key, but it's now expiring. How can I revert to using the original Windows key that came with the laptop?...
  4. Check If The Windows of a New Laptop is Original

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Check If The Windows of a New Laptop is Original: Hi.I've got a new Asus laptop with preinstalled windows.I want to check whether that windows is genuine or not.Especially, If it is genuine, I want to know if it was installed in factory or installed by a distributor?I run the following command in CMD:wmic path...
  5. Check If The Windows of a New Laptop is Original

Check If The Windows of a New Laptop is Original: Hi.I've got a new Asus laptop with preinstalled windows.I want to check whether that windows is genuine or not.Especially, If it is genuine, I want to know if it was installed in factory or installed by a distributor?I run the following command in CMD:wmic path...
  6. I have an acer laptop. When I turned it back on the screen was 1/3 the original size...

I have an acer laptop. When I turned it back on the screen was 1/3 the original size...: How do I reset my Acer laptop to match the screen size? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-an-acer-laptop-when-i-turned-it-back-on-the/9af02229-203f-48a5-847a-ca296de02492
  7. I have an acer laptop. When I turned it back on the screen was 1/3 the original size...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I have an acer laptop. When I turned it back on the screen was 1/3 the original size...: How do I reset my Acer laptop to match the screen size? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-an-acer-laptop-when-i-turned-it-back-on-the/9af02229-203f-48a5-847a-ca296de02492
  8. I have an acer laptop. When I turned it back on the screen was 1/3 the original size...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. log into laptop with picture password. dont know the word password I originally used - how...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    log into laptop with picture password. dont know the word password I originally used - how...: I set up my laptop with a picture password log in. If I want to change this way to log in, it's asking for a word password. I have not clue what password I would have used as I have only accessed lenovo laptop using the picture password for nearly 2 years. How do I recover my...
  10. log into laptop with picture password. dont know the word password I originally used - how...

log into laptop with picture password. dont know the word password I originally used - how...: I set up my laptop with a picture password log in. If I want to change this way to log in, it's asking for a word password. I have not clue what password I would have used as I have only accessed lenovo laptop using the picture password for nearly 2 years. How do I recover my...