Windows 10: OS sleeps after 15 minutes of being idle

Discus and support OS sleeps after 15 minutes of being idle in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have tried everything. I have changed to never in every area that is offered by my system. I have even changed it in hkey and STILL at various... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Kassi59, May 26, 2016.

1. Kassi59 Win User

OS sleeps after 15 minutes of being idle

I have tried everything. I have changed to never in every area that is offered by my system. I have even changed it in hkey and STILL at various (meaning when it feels the need to change) it either changes or sleeps after 15 minutes. Id done it three times already, this last time all the settings were still set for never and it still slept.
    How can I stop my OS from sleeping indefinitely. I dont like the sleep option, never have. Never used it. Dont want to start. Turn on turn off. Im good with that...
    If anyone has any other suggestions other than what I have already tried I would greatly appreciate that.

display settings
    Power & sleep
    {never/never}
    clicked additional power settings
    Advanced SystemCare Power Plan/change plan settings
    {never/never}
    save
    change advanced power settings
    Sleep
    Sleep after/never
    Allow hybrid sleep/off
    Hibernate after/never
    Allow wake timers/enable

Power buttons and lids
    Display
    Never and off

display
    Turn off display after/never
    Enable adaptive brightness/off
    OK
    save changes

I found an article that told how to dive into the HKEY and stop it from happening. nothing. still slept.

:)

Kassi59, May 26, 2016
  2. -Askr- Win User

PC rebooting itself if not used for 15 minutes

Ok, I'm not actually talking to myself here but I have partially solved the issue by switching it to go into sleep mode after 15 minutes, however this is not something I usually have set so I would still like to know why it started rebooting after being
    idle since the last windows update.

-Askr-, May 26, 2016
  3. laptop sleep without time limit

My laptop setting was only 15 minutes before sleep but my laptop even not idle, suddenly sleep. What does mean?

RendellSibal, May 26, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, suggest you inspect your event log (event viewer) and look for event ID 42 which is recorded when your PC sleeps.
    That may help identify what's doing this.

Meanwhile, to hopefully prevent this (as a workaround so you can use your PC), you can download and run 'Don't Sleep' (freeware).

There are many many threads on this forum about sleep issues - please use these as a resource for research.

E.g.
    Solved Computer turns off display/goes to sleep when idle for a short time - Windows 10 Forums
    Solved Machine goes to sleep, can wake it - Windows 10 Forums
    Solved Computer goes into sleep or hibernation whenever idle - Windows 10 Forums
    Solved Windows 10 sleeps after 3 minutes, no matter what. - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, May 27, 2016
  5. Kassi59 Win User
    I found an event id 42 but it didn't offer anything that I can see to change. I have changed the hkey before and it still didn't work. I think I will try the don't sleep until this new system that is alive deletes it like it does the download I added to be able to control my files and folders:
    Add to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Windows
    I swear this OS is alive... SMH
    thank you for the help *Smile

Kassi59, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. OS sleeps after 15 minutes of being idle - Similar Threads - sleeps minutes being

2. Desktop does not sleep after 15 minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop does not sleep after 15 minutes: Under “Power and sleep,” my desktop is set to go to sleep after 15 minutes. Under “additional power settings” it is set for “high performance.” However, the desktop does not go to sleep after 15 minutes. Sometimes it doesn't go to sleep for hours. I ran the power...
  3. Desktop does not sleep after 15 minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop does not sleep after 15 minutes: Under “Power and sleep,” my desktop is set to go to sleep after 15 minutes. Under “additional power settings” it is set for “high performance.” However, the desktop does not go to sleep after 15 minutes. Sometimes it doesn't go to sleep for hours. I ran the power...
  4. Desktop does not sleep after 15 minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. TV Monitors not sleeping after 15 Minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TV Monitors not sleeping after 15 Minutes: I use two 32" TVs as monitors for my Windows 11 Desktop Computer.Vizio TV is the primary display and uses a VGA to HDMI cable connection.Samsung TV is the secondary display and uses a HDMI to HDMI cable connection.Under the Power Setting, I specify "Turn off my Screen after...
  6. TV Monitors not sleeping after 15 Minutes

TV Monitors not sleeping after 15 Minutes: I use two 32" TVs as monitors for my Windows 11 Desktop Computer.Vizio TV is the primary display and uses a VGA to HDMI cable connection.Samsung TV is the secondary display and uses a HDMI to HDMI cable connection.Under the Power Setting, I specify "Turn off my Screen after...
  7. Laptop restarts instead of sleep after being idle

Laptop restarts instead of sleep after being idle: I recently reinstalled windows 10 on my Acer One 14 Z1-471 laptop. After a week or so it stopped going to sleep after being idle, instead it restarts every time. I'm sceptic of a thing that I updated drivers from a 3rd party app but I don't know if it's the cause or not. It...
  8. Disk Active when idle after 10-15 minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Active when idle after 10-15 minutes: What can cause this event?After about 5-10 minutes of system idle, there was a lot of disk activity on disk G:If you press some button or move mouse Active time will suddenly become 0%, In normally working-------------------------------------------------------------------When...
  9. Disk Active when idle after 10-15 minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Active when idle after 10-15 minutes: What can cause this event?After about 5-10 minutes of system idle, there was a lot of disk activity on disk G:If you press some button or move mouse Active time will suddenly become 0%, In normally working-------------------------------------------------------------------When...
  10. Disk Active when idle after 10-15 minutes