Windows 10: OS to SSD, Keep desktop icons data etc

Discus and support OS to SSD, Keep desktop icons data etc in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I've recently purchased a 250GB SSD, I moved the OS to it and booted it to see if it was working, It is thankfully however the problem is that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JH111321, Nov 29, 2020.

1. JH111321 Win User

OS to SSD, Keep desktop icons data etc

Hi, I've recently purchased a 250GB SSD, I moved the OS to it and booted it to see if it was working, It is thankfully however the problem is that I have never done anything like this so naturally I'm confused as to whether all my desktop icons should or shouldn't be there I'm assuming not because its brand new storage but is there any way I can have all my data on my normal hard drive without having to reinstall and go through that process all over again.

Short story; OS on SSD, Data HDD desktop all that on SSD Desktop but on HDD.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

-JH

:)

JH111321, Nov 29, 2020

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Nov 29, 2020
  3. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Nov 29, 2020
  4. OS to SSD, Keep desktop icons data etc

Is this amount of Data writen normal for a SSD?

I don't use SSD, since I heard that SSD has a very limited time for writes. And every time, you write something, it erases whole piece and write again together with the new to storage. Tip also suggests us to leave 1/4 SSD space for temporary storage. Or trouble will come.
    Tips also recommend us to leave SSD for OS, and HDD for programs and data.
    If your data is OS data, then there is nothing to do.

FrankBarrera, Nov 29, 2020
Thema:

OS to SSD, Keep desktop icons data etc

1. OS to SSD, Keep desktop icons data etc - Similar Threads - SSD Keep desktop

2. Transferring Data to an External SSD without an OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring Data to an External SSD without an OS: Do i need to install an OS on a new SSD that i want to use as an external Storage Drive or i can just transfer my data without having to go through the hustle of installing the ISO image to the external SSD...
  3. Transferring Data to an External SSD without an OS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferring Data to an External SSD without an OS: Do i need to install an OS on a new SSD that i want to use as an external Storage Drive or i can just transfer my data without having to go through the hustle of installing the ISO image to the external SSD...
  4. Transferring Data to an External SSD without an OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can I clone data from a SSD to a new SSD without the OS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I clone data from a SSD to a new SSD without the OS: I am planning to purchase a new computer which comes with Win 11. My old computer has Win 10 and obviously I do not want to transfer the OS from that computer to the new one. Can I clone/transfer the non-OS files in a batch to the new computer without bringing Win 10 or do I...
  6. Can I clone data from a SSD to a new SSD without the OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I clone data from a SSD to a new SSD without the OS: I am planning to purchase a new computer which comes with Win 11. My old computer has Win 10 and obviously I do not want to transfer the OS from that computer to the new one. Can I clone/transfer the non-OS files in a batch to the new computer without bringing Win 10 or do I...
  7. Clone HDD, with OS and data, to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clone HDD, with OS and data, to SSD: I'm needed of your help, I recently got an SSD to upgrade my Lenovo Yoga 300 with Windows 10 Home Single Lamguage, I cleaned and format the SSD and used Macrium to clone, but it showed me a window saying that I couldn't acces that folder, I changed the security and the...
  8. wipe data but keep OS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    wipe data but keep OS: Hi- I had a Windows seizure on my 2013 Lenovo and my attempts at recovery resulted in a "new" PC with Windows 8 from 2013. I finally got Windows 10 loaded, and restored data from one of my two backups. Turns out the backup wasn't as up to date as the other one, so I'm...
  9. OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive: I want to use a new SSD to run my OS on my PC. I have a lot of data on my HDD and dont want it on the SSD but do want to keep it. I have read that you shouldn't use an external drive that has Windows installed so how would i go about doing what I need? I.e. get Windows...
  10. Move OS to SSD leave data in HDD

Move OS to SSD leave data in HDD: Got a SSD and I only want to move the operating system to the SSD. So, question one is 1. How do I move only the OS to the SSD? I haven't done anything like this for a L O O O N G time. In fact, not since DOS. Back then there was a problem with what I'm trying to do...