Windows 10: OS will now not fully load unless in 'Safe Mode'

Discus and support OS will now not fully load unless in 'Safe Mode' in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi to everyone from a Noob! I've been working on a friend's laptop, who wanted 'Gadgets' installing, which I did (same Gadgets that run OK on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Johnny666, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Johnny666 Win User

OS will now not fully load unless in 'Safe Mode'

Hi to everyone from a Noob!

I've been working on a friend's laptop, who wanted 'Gadgets' installing, which I did (same Gadgets that run OK on my almost identical laptop, from WinAero I believe) but since then the laptop will not run in normal mode. After signing in, the desktop background and icons appear as usual, and then the taskbar icons will appear or sometimes they won't, but either way nothing will run and I am eventually greeted with a small message window stating "The following program is not responding: Microsoft Windows. You can wait for it to respond etc..." but it never does and nothing works: no Task Manager, no Start Up menu - nothing. The hard drive also eventually goes idle. Ctrl-Alt-Delete just brings up a permanent black screen around which I can move the mouse icon. I have to hard reset the laptop by pressing and holding the power button.

I have tried uninstalling the gadgets, but I'm greeted with the usual 'some components could not be removed.' In Safe Mode the laptop appears to work as it should (under safe mode conditions), I even re-installed the gadgets and uninstalled them using CCleaner, but was greeted by the same message. I've tried windows recovery back to the last update from October, and under safe mode I am told it didn't work and didn't change anything, but on reboot in 'normal' mode I am told the recovery was successful, but Windows still does not work.

At the moment I am running an AVG scan under safe mode, but any help or suggestions as to what to try next would be appreciated. I am at the end of my (little) technical knowledge of what to do next, and I'm really upset that my installing the gadgets on my friend's laptop appears to have rendered it unusable. The laptop is here and internet connected, and I am typing this on my own laptop.

Please help... *Confused

:)

Johnny666, Nov 9, 2016

2. Windows will not load even in safe mode

Hi,

The issue could be cause by a recent update done on your PC that has not been installed properly. To provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please provide the following information:

• Have you made any recent changes on your PC? (Changing hardware, updated Windows, etc.)
    • Aside from the message you are getting on the dialogue box, were you able to get an error code?
    • If possible, can you send us a screenshot of the dialogue box?

Regards.

Arthur Rui, Nov 9, 2016
  3. Windows will not load even in safe mode

A dialogue box says can not open app need to log in under another administrator

**Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.**

Doug and KathiLaux, Nov 9, 2016
  4. Neemobeer Win User

This is most likely due to a driver. I would verify they are all up-to-date. I would start with the graphics driver.

Neemobeer, Nov 9, 2016
  5. Johnny666 Win User
    Thanks - is there an easy 'catch-all' way to check if any of the system drivers are out of date or do I need to pick through them one at a time, assuming I know where to find them all?

Johnny666, Nov 9, 2016
  6. Neemobeer Win User
    You could open a command prompt and type driverquery /v /FO CSV >> %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt Then you can sort that list easily. Be aware that there will be a lot of generic drivers that will have old dates. The main drivers you want to look for are grahpics, wireless, bluetooth, wired network and audio will be the typical ones that cause issues. Also AV products will have drivers that can cause issues.

Neemobeer, Nov 9, 2016
  7. Johnny666 Win User
    OK Cheers - I will have a look at that tomorrow as it's 4am here now *Sleepy

I'm just a bit confused as to why all of a sudden the damn thing isn't working, apart from the gadget install and uninstall nothing else was changed and no updates performed, the laptop was working fine immediately prior to the install. Maybe if I can find out what files the uninstaller did not automatically uninstall this might be of use as well?

*Smile

Johnny666, Nov 9, 2016
  8. Johnny666 Win User

PS: I typed in your text exactly as above (and in variations of) to the cmd.exe and all I get in reply is "was unexpected at this time" *Sad

Johnny666, Nov 9, 2016
  9. mrgeek Win User
    I just copied and pasted the command prompt and it put a txt file on my desktop. Try that.

mrgeek, Nov 9, 2016
  10. Johnny666 Win User
    Quick Update: I tried once more System Restore within safe mode, and rebooted in normal mode and at the moment everything appears to be running 'normally' although rather hectically! Resource Monitor shows everything is maxed out; a lot of system stuff going on such as Log File, Master File Table and Page File, presumably updating on the HDD. Once everything's settled down I'll try a few apps then shut down as it's now nearly 5am.

EDIT: Actually, I think I've realised what's happening - because I've rolled back the update using System Restore and that laptop is using my sole network cable to connect to the internet, I assume W10 is going through its "automatically updates without prompting" phase. For now though, at least it's doing something! *Biggrin

I'll post again during the day and update with what's happened *Smile

Johnny666, Nov 9, 2016
  11. Johnny666 Win User
    Thanks to everyone for their help, the laptop now appears to be working fine. Possibly some corrupted file that was replaced when rolling back the update and re-updating.

Cheers! *Biggrin

Johnny666, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. OS will now not fully load unless in 'Safe Mode' - Similar Threads - fully load unless

2. Safe mode wont load

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Safe mode wont load: Ok so i tried to fully reset my pc, and when i turned it back on, my profile was still there. i tried to log in but it said “The ProfSvc service failed the sign in, user profile cannot be loaded”then i loaded into safe mode… multiple times because when i put in the password,...
  3. Safe mode wont load

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Safe mode wont load: Ok so i tried to fully reset my pc, and when i turned it back on, my profile was still there. i tried to log in but it said “The ProfSvc service failed the sign in, user profile cannot be loaded”then i loaded into safe mode… multiple times because when i put in the password,...
  4. I need to fully block out safe mode.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I need to fully block out safe mode.: How can I fully block out safe mode from a system. I want to disable this as a option on recovery for super secure systems. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-fully-block-out-safe-mode/ec80b86b-7b89-4920-8a1b-7be7c7ba6393
  5. Wont boot fully till FROM Safe Mode !

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wont boot fully till FROM Safe Mode !: How can I diagnose what prevents normal booting, if success requires rebooting from Safe Mode ? My PC's species are correctly listed in System Specs. 172953
  6. Fairly New HP AIO Unusable unless in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fairly New HP AIO Unusable unless in Safe Mode: Hello tenforum wizards. I'm back again with a new bsod issue on a new AIO. I can't really track the start of the BSODs to an event like an update or new software install, and I can't use the computer at all unless I'm in safe mode. I tried to install the new windows feature...
  7. Unable to fully boot up in Safe Mode

Unable to fully boot up in Safe Mode: In Windows 10 when booting up I'm receiving the following error at the sign-in screen: "The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded." Now I"m attempting to boot up in safe mode to resolve the issue, but after hitting F4 for safe mode...
  8. Windows fails to boot unless in safe mode

Windows fails to boot unless in safe mode: If I try to boot windows out of safe mode when I run something or after some time windows will crash and both my monitors will go black. When I boot in safe mode I do not get this issue. I have tried multiple things to fix this but all have resulted in failure....
  9. Windows 10 crashes frequently unless in Safe Mode

Windows 10 crashes frequently unless in Safe Mode: I am having trouble with my computer more and more frequently crashing into the BSOD wall, gears and wheels go flying everywhere. Prior to this, I bemoaned the 10-20 minute wait while the little white dots danced around in a circle while Windows pondered whether it felt like...
  10. Alot of Softwares do not start unless in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alot of Softwares do not start unless in Safe Mode: Hello, I have many issues with my Windows 10 although I made a reset but still the same issue. Alot of Apps do not start, like Installers, Softwares as Visual Studio and stuff. And also windows-tools such as Task Manager, Add or Remove windows features. All of these do not...