Windows 10: OSD - Incrementing Computer Names for shared NIC / Docking

Discus and support OSD - Incrementing Computer Names for shared NIC / Docking in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have been given permission from Johan Arwidmark to post this. Some of his MDT Database extensions are used and modified to create this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JIHillestad, Oct 18, 2017.

1. OSD - Incrementing Computer Names for shared NIC / Docking

Hi,

I have been given permission from Johan Arwidmark to post this. Some of his MDT Database extensions are used and modified to create this solution.

Most of today's new laptop devices does not have a RJ45 NIC, only Wi-Fi is included. To support OSD over PXE, you need to use a USB NIC or USB docking, making the MAC address shared by multiple computers. For PXE identification, excluding the MAC address is easily accomplishable.

However, if you use the MDT database for assigning incrementing OSDComputername, there are some modifications needed. For unique MAC addresses, Johan Arwidmark has provided a great solution for this. To support shared MAC Addresses, I have modified this solution to identify or create OSDComputername with UUID as the identifier. If computers are in the MDT database with MAC address and UUID is null, the row is updated with the UUID of the Computer.

I have provided 2 files to hopefully be able to help others. One contains a script to create the "IdentifyComputer_UUID" Stored Procedure. The other one is a CUSTOMSETTINGS.INI file where CSETTINGS is only using UUID for the query.

:)

JIHillestad, Oct 18, 2017
  2. matjos Win User

Sync as new device everytime

yes. both devices have totally different ID.

the scenario.

1. First device sync (device ID: Nic)

- create partnership & sync files. OK

2. Undock Nic

3. Second device sync (device ID: Mat)

- create partnership & sync files. OK

4. Undock Mat

5. Dock Nic & the activesync ask to create new partnership while this step have been done in step no. 1.

- create new partnership of which whether delete / rename / remain the same name (all 3 options tried) & sync file. OK

6. Undock Nic

7. Dock Mat & still, activesync ask to create new partnership while this step have been done in step no. 3.

it happens everytime i'm docking the device every single attemp to sync.

Please help & thanks for the reply.

matjos, Oct 18, 2017
  3. cgwaters Win User
    Name resolution oftentimes stops working -- until I re-install the network adapter

The name resolution problem happened again this morning; I could access the other PC by IP address but not by computer name. To clarify: I could see the shares on the other PC if I used its IP address but could not access the other PC by its name; attempting
    to do so produced the following error:

Windows cannot access \\PC05

Error code: 0x80070035

The network path was not found

NetBScanner displays PC05, with the IP address.

I figured I would try a trace route to the IP address of the other PC. It found the PC immediately, but with the computer name of PC05.lan -- note the ".lan" suffix! What's that all about?

After I uninstalled/re-installed the NIC, I could access PC05 (including its shares) by computer name again.

BTW, when I browse to \\PC05.lan (either before or after uninstalling/re-installing the NIC), I'm prompted for credentials.

cgwaters, Oct 18, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

OSD - Incrementing Computer Names for shared NIC / Docking

This information has already been known about for sometime. Do not know who this OP is, nor why they would tell someone something that has been out on Microsoft's Technet for years.

bro67, Oct 19, 2017
  5. I am sure others in the Community has found a way to solve the same issue. I worked out this solution, and enjoy sharing it with others. There's a lot of amazing people in the Community that shares knowledge, and they're a big part of making me who I am professionally.

JIHillestad, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

OSD - Incrementing Computer Names for shared NIC / Docking

1. OSD - Incrementing Computer Names for shared NIC / Docking - Similar Threads - OSD Incrementing Computer

2. Computer Docking Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Docking Issue: I'm suddenly having difficulty accessing my applications when I dock my laptop to a monitor. I'm having difficulty accessing Teams and even my Excel is buggy and unusable when I am docked. This is happing on different docks. Please advise. Thanks!...
  3. Computer Docking Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Docking Issue: I'm suddenly having difficulty accessing my applications when I dock my laptop to a monitor. I'm having difficulty accessing Teams and even my Excel is buggy and unusable when I am docked. This is happing on different docks. Please advise. Thanks!...
  4. Can't OSD Gen9 computers with MDT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't OSD Gen9 computers with MDT: HiI have now tried several different models of Gen9 computers but cannot manage OSD with MDT. The previous generation is not a problem, only Gen9. The masks find the MDT server and download WinPE, but then it stops at the first image in MDT and nothing more happens. It...
  5. Can't OSD Gen9 computers with MDT

Can't OSD Gen9 computers with MDT: HiI have now tried several different models of Gen9 computers but cannot manage OSD with MDT. The previous generation is not a problem, only Gen9. The masks find the MDT server and download WinPE, but then it stops at the first image in MDT and nothing more happens. It...
  6. Can't OSD Gen9 computers with MDT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Volume OSD

Volume OSD: Hi! Unlike most of the users, I love to see spotify music pop up next to my windows volume OSD but even though I activated it from spotify settings it doesn't show up. I would love to fix this issue if possible. Thanks in advance. Peace Out...
  8. Volume OSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Volume OSD: I have headphones without hardware volume control, so i mapped volume controls to my mouse (roccat kova) and when i change volume controls in game i get huge fps drops. Any ideas? I tried hidevolumeosd but it didnt solved the problem. submitted by /u/Korothi [link]...
  9. Nic Name

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Nic Name: Brit lee https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nic-name/433d7a90-1757-463a-9665-c81a85493ec4"
  10. Brightness OSD

in Windows 10 Customization
    Brightness OSD: My screen brightness OSD is a permanent feature on my screen - any suggestions on how to make is disappear!? I'm running 10 on a Surface https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/brightness-osd/6342aece-1eaa-4cc2-8d0f-7e111bd4efab