Windows 10: 'Other' files taking up storage space

Discus and support 'Other' files taking up storage space in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Alright, so I have a Windows 10 laptop with 29.1 gigabytes on the C drive. Now, sometimes when I go to settings, system, storage, and see how much... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by . Banana Bread ., May 7, 2019.

1. 'Other' files taking up storage space

Alright, so I have a Windows 10 laptop with 29.1 gigabytes on the C drive. Now, sometimes when I go to settings, system, storage, and see how much space's taken up by the system files, sometimes it'll say about 17 GB while other times it'll say 19 GB. Because the system files take up so much space, every GB of space counts, which leads me to my problem.

'Other' files taking up storage space 1156fc1b-2b8f-450c-a691-f92f2dbca7de?upload=true.png

That. I want that gone, yet every-time I try to, I'm greeted with a page that lists 10 small files that take up ranging from 76 KB to 26.3 MB as shown here.

'Other' files taking up storage space 9f230799-d047-404b-a44c-2b7fd239e0a5?upload=true.png

I don't think that all adds up to almost 3 GB of space taken up.

So my question is, what are these hidden files that're taking up so much space? Why are they not being shown so I can delete them? Also, if anyone can help me stop the system from taking up 17 GB to 19 GB and then back, that would be nice.

:)

. Banana Bread ., May 7, 2019

2. Storage Space

Surface Pro 3 storage space is low. Storage settings say that Apps and Games is using 17.5 GB but when I add up the space from the list of apps it is only 5.7 GB. What is taking up up the other ~12 GB and how do I free up space?

renataAtkinson1, May 7, 2019
  3. Windows is taking up too much hard drive space.

Hi Trisha,

Windows might have been accumulated large drive space due to installed apps, temporary files, or etc. For us to identify which item mostly accumulates your drive space, we suggest that you check it here:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Storage, and then press Enter.
    • Under Local Storage, click on This
      PC (C'Other' files taking up storage space :).
    • On this window, you will see which item mot accumulate your drive space.

We also recommend that you follow the steps given on this article on how to
    free up drive space in Windows 10
    . Click on every drop down to view the steps.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Janeane Cru, May 7, 2019
  4. cadaveca Win User

'Other' files taking up storage space

LA lawyer files suit against Microsoft over Surface storage capacity

Sure, but the example I like to use for this is cars...a trunk has X-number of cubic feet of storage space. If a seat occupies that space, something that is crucial to the operation of the car(while carrying passengers), then the space the seat occupies is not listed. Only open space is. Or, if it's folding seat, they list it, but have to also lsit that there is a caveat there.

You rent a 400 cubic foot storage locker, rated for 400 cubic feet of storage, you get 400 cubic feet of OPEN space.

You buy a PC with a 500GB HDD, you get far less than that for storage space.

See, PC's aren't listed as having "STORAGE SPACE", they are listed as having such and such space on their HDD, or SSD.

That is how MS screwed up.

cadaveca, May 7, 2019
Thema:

'Other' files taking up storage space

1. 'Other' files taking up storage space - Similar Threads - 'Other' files taking

2. “Other people” taking up storage but there’s no other user on this computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    “Other people” taking up storage but there’s no other user on this computer: My storage has been full lately so I went into settings to try clearing it out and noticed “Other people” has been taking up 28.3 GB yet there’s no one using my computer other than me, when i click on “Manage other users” it gives me the option to add another one but none to...
  3. “Other people” taking up storage but there’s no other user on this computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    “Other people” taking up storage but there’s no other user on this computer: My storage has been full lately so I went into settings to try clearing it out and noticed “Other people” has been taking up 28.3 GB yet there’s no one using my computer other than me, when i click on “Manage other users” it gives me the option to add another one but none to...
  4. “Other people” taking up storage but there’s no other user on this computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. deleted files still taking up storage space?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    deleted files still taking up storage space?: all these files have been deleted and should be completely removed from my PC, yet it still shows them taking up space. anything i can do here? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-files-still-taking-up-storage-space/6e2ec4d6-44ba-4e48-ae4c-ab1043cf7b31
  6. deleted files still taking up storage space?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    deleted files still taking up storage space?: all these files have been deleted and should be completely removed from my PC, yet it still shows them taking up space. anything i can do here? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-files-still-taking-up-storage-space/6e2ec4d6-44ba-4e48-ae4c-ab1043cf7b31
  7. "OTHER USERS" taking up Disk Space

"OTHER USERS" taking up Disk Space: On my Win10 machine, I have a 300 GB partition that holds my OS and apps. 185 GB is being used by "OTHER USERS" which I dont understand since I AM the only user on my machine. I've seen other people posting on this problem. I did use SYSPREP to make the drive so I didn't lose...
  8. System files taking up 85GB of storage space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System files taking up 85GB of storage space: Today I got a system notification on Windows 10 telling me that my C: drive is full, so I checked where most of the used space came from and found this. It seems like 85GB out of my 111GB drive are being occupied by system files, here you can see how 77GB are being used by...
  9. 'Others' folder taking up space

'Others' folder taking up space: My others folder is taking up around 5GB space. I don't know how to free it. Need help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/others-folder-taking-up-space/7a515088-401f-4bf1-b424-a8ce47ac36cb
  10. Other people under storage take up large space

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Other people under storage take up large space: On the 20h1 builds in the fast lane, under settings-system-storage the "Other people" category takes up a large amount of disk space and increasing at a rapid rate. I have only one account (administrator) on this PC. You can turn all sync options off - nothing happens. I...