Windows 10: Other user accounts lost start menu pins

Discus and support Other user accounts lost start menu pins in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; So this morning I turn on and manually check store for app updates as usual. Then I start to login to the other family user accounts on the pc like I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Scottyboy99, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Other user accounts lost start menu pins

So this morning I turn on and manually check store for app updates as usual. Then I start to login to the other family user accounts on the pc like I often do to check said app updates still work. I was a little concerned to see on all user accounts (apart from mine) that all the start menu pinned items were all back to default (as if it was a first ever login) and virtually every program in the start menu list had ‘new’. Annoying but I started to re pin things like the news app, games they use etc to return things to what they were. But every time I logged out of one their accounts and went back in the start menu customisation of pinned apps were not holding, constantly back at default view. This persisted through reboots etc until eventually it stopped happening and things I pinned remained in place. But why has this happened in first place? I suspect a recent app update to something like Xbox game bar or tips has triggered it as they were the most recent apps updated (or maybe conincidence). Has anyone else seen this happen? I’m on the public v1809 windows by the way.

we also have a pc running v1803 and this same issue did not happen on that machine

:)

Scottyboy99, Dec 5, 2018

2. How to pin shortcut to start menu.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you would like to know how to pin short cut to start menu.

I would suggest you to refer to the article given below if you are using Windows 7.

Pin a program to the Start menu

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Pin-a-program-to-the-Start-menu

And if you are using Windows 10 then I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

Pin apps to Start

Pin the apps you use most often to the Start menu. Here's how:

• Go to Start > All Apps.
    • Press and hold (or right-click) an app.
    • Select Pin to Start.

Hope this helps. Please let us know the results. We will be happy to assist you further.

Mayank Gupta10, Dec 5, 2018
  3. Dyan Rey Win User
    Microsoft Account PIN and password

We appreciate the screenshot that you provided. to start troubleshooting the issue with you logins, we suggest that you follow the steps below on how login pin goes back to password:

• Click Start menu and go to Settings.
    • In Settings, click the Accounts icon.
    • Click on Sign-in options.
    • Change both your password and pin one by one.
    Let us know how it goes.

Dyan Rey, Dec 5, 2018
  4. Other user accounts lost start menu pins

Lost User Account

After upgrading from Window 7 to 10, I lost my wife's User Account got messed up, using my email address and login password, with no ability to change them. I received the reply below, but still have problems:

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with user accounts, we will help you to resolve this issue.

I would like to inform that there can be only one Microsoft user account on one device, and that might be the reason you are unable to change the email address for the user account.

I suggest you to create a new account (Local account) on your computer and transfer the content to newly created user account.

Step 1: Creating a new user account

• Type cmd in the Search bar form the desktop.
    • Now, Right-click on cmd.exe from the result and select Run As Administrator.
    • User Account Control or UAC dialog box will appear, click on Yes.
    • Type net user username password /add

[Replace ‘username’ and ‘password’ with your desired username and password]

Step 2. Copying old files to newly created User Profile

• Go to C:\Users\(Your-Corrupted-
    • Copy all files except three files:

• NtUser.dat

• NtUser.ini

• NtUser.log
    3. Go to C:\Users\(New-User-Profile-

4. Paste all those copied files here.

I tried to create a new user account as in Step 1, but when I put in the command as written above, I kept getting messages about correct syntax for the command. No matter what I tried, it wouldn't work. I
    then tried to set up a new account using the Settings/Accounts/"Add someone else to this PC" menu. I set up the account, but no folder was created under C:\Users\. I tried adding a folder using the new accounts user name and transferred the files from the
    other account. When I tried to log in, I received the same error message. I am at a loss as to how to get back the user account with the correct username, email address, and password. HELP!!!

LouisHafken, Dec 5, 2018
Thema:

Other user accounts lost start menu pins

1. Other user accounts lost start menu pins - Similar Threads - user accounts lost

2. Lost Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost Start Menu: Open immediately to web login page. Cannot access Shut Down menu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-start-menu/659a5a5a-28c6-43ab-93e3-b791b8ebcbab
  3. Lost Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost Start Menu: Open immediately to web login page. Cannot access Shut Down menu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-start-menu/659a5a5a-28c6-43ab-93e3-b791b8ebcbab
  4. Lost User Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Lost User Account: Have a computer with Windows 10 Pro, I used to have 2 user accounts on it. The other account is not showing showing up? I ran the AccountProfileFixer and it fixed the problem until the computer reboots. When I start the computer next day its gone again, not sure what caused...
  5. Start menu pinned tiles lost

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu pinned tiles lost: Hello to all, Yesterday I have done the following Windows update: https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/help/4551762/windows-10-update-kb4551762 Now I see that I also moved to Version 1909, too. … and ever since all my pinned programs in the Start menu are gone not the...
  6. Lost the ability to rearrange folders pinned to the start menu.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lost the ability to rearrange folders pinned to the start menu.: I just tried to rearrange all the things I have pinned in my start menu and came to realize that it's impossible for me to move folders pinned to Start. I can move around pinned apps and programs without any problem, but if I pin My Documents, Recycle Bin or any other folder,...
  7. User Account Lost

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Account Lost: I'm not sure how, when, or what happened here. but this morning I found that my user id, “C:\Users\UnknownUser” contained all my working directories was gone and that “Users\Downloads” with a large blue down-arrow had replaced it and that it contained all my working...
  8. Lost Start Menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost Start Menu: After the latest update, my Windows 10 laptop seems 'stuck' on tiles. I loathe tiles. I want my start menu back, and when the tiles are active, the start menu doesn't work. For some reason, I'm also again back with Cortana 'active.' Cortana is clearly the work of the...
  9. Lost "Pin to Start Screen" and other options, can't drag icon to Start

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost "Pin to Start Screen" and other options, can't drag icon to Start: My Start Screen very weird recently. I can't drag icon app to Start, I can't drag to organize app on Start, when I right click on app, only "More" appears, other options just gone, can anyone help me, it's so annoying. [img] [img] 41349
  10. Start Menu Closes if User Account Selected

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Closes if User Account Selected: Ok, so I am having a strange problem. In my PC's admin account, when I attempt to switch users by: Start Menu > (click user account) The start menu disappears / rolls back down. I cannot switch users this way, but this only affects my admin account. What can I do to make...