Windows 10: Out of curiosity: how does Windows 10 sort its most used apps list?

Discus and support Out of curiosity: how does Windows 10 sort its most used apps list? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been trying to understand how Windows sorts its most used apps list (in the start menu, presumably shared with start menu alternatives such as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by drmbongo, Nov 6, 2020.

1. drmbongo Win User

Out of curiosity: how does Windows 10 sort its most used apps list?

I have been trying to understand how Windows sorts its most used apps list (in the start menu, presumably shared with start menu alternatives such as Start10).

I noticed, for instance, that if I launch a freshly installed program, it pops up high on the list. Launching my default browser - non-Microsoft - by whatever means does not seem to budge its ranking in the list, but firing off Microsoft Edge just once makes it one of my most popular apps ever. Before presuming that Microsoft is somewhat biased to their own products, does anyone have a description of the algorithm that Windows 10 uses to sort the most used apps list?

I'm running Windows 20H2, but this behavior does seem to stretch back into Win7 and prior

Thanks!
    Dr.M'B

:)

drmbongo, Nov 6, 2020
  2. WOT
    WOT Win User

App or Program That can Alphabetize a list

In addition to David Y's suggestion, you can also use OpenOffice Writer to sort a list alphabetically or numerically and its free!

Just place your text in a table and select sort from the Table menu:

Out of curiosity: how does Windows 10 sort its most used apps list? [​IMG]

Get it here:
    Apache OpenOffice - Official Download

Cheers,

3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 6, 2020
  4. Dos101 Win User

Windows Phone users Clubhouse

I think I'll put a list of people's favourite apps in the OP, starting with my own until I get some suggestions, but you can take a look at the Windows Phone app store at the top apps to see what's popular http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store

You are both now added, welcome! *Toast :toast:

Dos101, Nov 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Out of curiosity: how does Windows 10 sort its most used apps list? - Similar Threads - curiosity does sort

2. Out of curiosity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Out of curiosity: With a new Windows Backup and Restore coming, I have read that it can backup and restore your files and now apps... my concern is creating a disk image. Will you still be able to do that like in Windows Backup and Restore Windows7?...
  3. Out of curiosity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Out of curiosity: With a new Windows Backup and Restore coming, I have read that it can backup and restore your files and now apps... my concern is creating a disk image. Will you still be able to do that like in Windows Backup and Restore Windows7?...
  4. Reset "don't show in this list" for Most used apps in Start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reset "don't show in this list" for Most used apps in Start: The Most used list in the Start menu can be a convenient way to launch your favourite apps. Initially when you first add Most used to the Start Menu it is pre-populated with a default set of apps, but as you open other apps the most frequently used ones will rise to the top...
  5. Windows 10 - Start Menu - Most used Apps listing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 - Start Menu - Most used Apps listing: I have enabled the ALL my Settings > Personalisation > Start options. My Settings > Privacy >General options are also ALL enabled. I do not have most used listing or recently added listing displayed. Please help me fix this problem...
  6. windows 10 most used app list

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 most used app list: Hello Guys, Is it possible to increase the most used app list in the new Windows 10 Start Menu? Thanks Tony 25145
  7. How does Windows 10 compute 'most used'

in Windows 10 Support
    How does Windows 10 compute 'most used': I have just upgraded to Win 10 from 7. The programs listed in 'Most Used' make sense except for one - TightVNC Viewer. This is a program I rarely use and I'm wondering if its presence here might indicate some security problem. So my question is how does Windows compute the...
  8. Sorting the all apps list?

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting the all apps list?: OK. I know how to "go to file location" and some of the other basic tips, but I am still having two issues with the Windows 10 start menu after several hours of searching reading and pulling hair out. 1) A few of my apps (programs I installed, not apps from the store) were...
  9. Out of Curiosity is this possible using W7 power shell?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Out of Curiosity is this possible using W7 power shell?: Out of Curiosity is this possible using W7 power shell? I would be basically installing windows 10 into a virtual drive (Not using any third party Virtual program). I would be using the windows 7 power shell if needed and creating a virtual drive using windows 7 disk manager....
  10. More items to Most used list

in Windows 10 Support
    More items to Most used list: Hey guys! I am trying to figure out how I can have more than 6 items to the most used list in the Start Menu. I have seen screenshots with more but can't find out where to do that in the options... Soooo... here I am. *Biggrin It's not a big deal so if it's not...